news & politics:discussion

zahidf

1 minute ago, cellar said:

We definitely want to be able to learn to live on, say, Mars at some point. And I imagine any research into how that might happen would have benefits for how we live on earth (being able to produce food in harsh environments, being able to protect humans from say, really hot environments).

I remember reading as well that spending on space isn't as much as you might think as a proportion of a country's overall spending budget.

you are probably right proportionally ... its still a shed load of money though and yeah maybe the harsh environment thing will help to .... guess we will be testing it out fairly soon 

41 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

can't figure this obsession with space exploration .... we need to learn to look after our own planet , its not like we will be jumping planets once this one is destroyed ... although they've done some useful experiments in Space haven't they ? 

Snap - Half of India's population do not even have toilets so they use the streets and verges and yet the government wants to set up a space colony!

16 minutes ago, cellar said:

https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/infographics/20-inventions-we-wouldnt-have-without-space-travel

I'll hold my hands up and say I'm biased because I'm a massive space nerd 🤓 but those are some pretty cool inventions.

Yep agree but would they have come anyway … who knows . And this current govt wouldn’t have used it to make lives better …. Other ones might have 

Got to think of the context of the original space race. 

USA vs USSR racing to explore the solar system was also a useful way of learning about ICBMs that could carry nuclear warheads. 

So yes space travel definitely helped develop some key technologies but on the other hand it also gave us the ability to wipe out the planet if one madman pushes a button. 

A recent quote from Astronomer Royal Martin Rees. A comment I find it hard to disagree with.

“There is a tendency to see Mars as the solution to all our problems on Earth. We will just move on to a new planet and save our species. But that is a dangerous delusion. We have to solve Earth’s problems here and now. Coping with climate change may seem daunting but it will be a doddle compared with surviving on Mars.”

15 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

A recent quote from Astronomer Royal Martin Rees. A comment I find it hard to disagree with.

“There is a tendency to see Mars as the solution to all our problems on Earth. We will just move on to a new planet and save our species. But that is a dangerous delusion. We have to solve Earth’s problems here and now. Coping with climate change may seem daunting but it will be a doddle compared with surviving on Mars.”

plus, it's just red sand.

22 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

The sh*t thread got out of hand on all sides.  That is for sure...  There was no one side or person just doing it.  It was everyone.  People do need to move on.  It was a horrible time and like you say people where venting.

Pretty sure the sh*t thread was deleted anyway.

Wasn't deleted but was closed.was a great thread that covered COVID very well.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Well he lived longer than I thought he would................ unless this is just a stunt to help him disappear for a while.

He obviously knew to keep clear of tall buildings. Russian windows are notoriously unsafe. 

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

was great until people like baz fish and his face nappy junk.

It was a wonderful thread, it should go in the internet hall of fame. 

this Prigozhin thing...a reminder of the russian invasion of ukraine...still ongoing but no one likes to talk about it. Counter offensive not really making any progress, Russians dug in, loads of land mines, Ukraine needs air power...and all begs the question about the limit of western support. Obviously west has supported Ukraine massively recently, especially US, but not enough for Ukraine to overwhelm Russian forces, I guess because fear of escalation, nukes, and what the f**k happens in Russia if Putin overthrown. So, where does it go? Most likely I guess is west pushes Ukraine and China/others push Russia into peace talks, and maybe it will end up with Ukraine losing Crimea and Donbas, but joins Nato. Can't see that happening for at least another year though, and maybe it won't, war will freeze.  A lot will also depend on US elections too. Ukraine is f**ked though, if Putin can't have it he'll f**k it.

2 hours ago, Neil said:

Wasn't deleted but was closed.was a great thread that covered COVID very well.

You are a total hypocrite, you hated the thread and in fact closed Two Covid threads, if it was so great why not reopen it so we can discuss the many new facts that have come to light over the past couple of years? Stevie might then know that "face nappies" were in fact pretty much useless in stopping the spread, something some of us suspected at the time but have now had confirmed.

Edited by gizmoman
Spelling
  • Upvote 1