news & politics:discussion

zahidf

9 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Why would Putin go from being in a position of being untouchable at the top of Russian government to just becoming a pawn for the next Russian president? 

Putins in his job for life. Only a health issue  or rogue agent will remove him. His unhealthy body being the more likely assassin. 

Why would Putin do that? Cos he has nowhere to go. He's one of the few people who might be accepted by Wagner fighters as their new leader it gives him a job and the illusion of still being powerful.

1 minute ago, Neil said:

Why would Putin do that? Cos he has nowhere to go. He's one of the few people who might be accepted by Wagner fighters as their new leader it gives him a job and the illusion of still being powerful.

oh, you did mean him standing down as president.

Nah. He is staying put I think. You could argue he is even more powerful now...he has sent a message to any others who could be thinking of having a go. I think only way he is kicked out is if Russia is defeated completely in Ukraine, but then what comes after could be chaos.

10 hours ago, Neil said:

its only you who make no attempt to discuss stuff to instead abuse the place.

As I now have the 'ignore' setting for Fish I see pages that have very few comments with lots of hidden comments. I think that says all anyone needs to know about who posts and posts and yet (from seeing quoted comments of theirs) never actually says anything or have an opinion.

If they use that method in their tech consultant role I would hate to be one of their customers!!

On a scale of 1-10 how much common sense does our Prime Minister have?

He 'inadvertently' broke the MP's code cos he got confused between an MP and a Minister

He accidently went to a party that he did not think was a party even though there was drink and cake.

He filmed himself while not wearing a seatbelt.

He walked his dog off lead in a park with signs saying dogs must be on a lead.

He did not know how a contactless card worked.

I do worry that a person with so little common sense, seemingly, is running the UK and you need common sense to see how your policies will actually work on the ground.

39 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

He 'inadvertently' broke the MP's code cos he got confused between an MP and a Minister

He accidently went to a party that he did not think was a party even though there was drink and cake.

I do worry that a person with so little common sense, seemingly, is running the UK and you need common sense to see how your policies will actually work on the ground.

you missed him not knowing he'd borrowed a car for a photo.

7 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

wife marked the GCSE papers this year.  Its not a bad little earner for teachers.  Both learnt a lot from the process.

Yeah my pal does it for Modern Studies ( don’t think you have that subject in England). He said you basically get X amount per paper and he seemed pretty pleased with it. Assume they’re cross marked by someone else too 

17 hours ago, squirrelarmy said:

Got to think of the context of the original space race. 

USA vs USSR racing to explore the solar system was also a useful way of learning about ICBMs that could carry nuclear warheads. 

So yes space travel definitely helped develop some key technologies but on the other hand it also gave us the ability to wipe out the planet if one madman pushes a button. 

spoiler: there is no button. 

13 hours ago, fraybentos1 said:

when i say dull i mean his personality - tbh i don't care much about this

when i say uninspiring I am referring to the policy platform he is standing on 

2 different things

Agree entirely and as time goes on and more pledges are reversed, the more apathetic I become about Labour/politics in general. There is also no real point at this stage of pointing out the policies Labour has suggested as, given Starmer's track record, there is absolutely no guarantee that it will make the manifesto. In fact, the opposite is more likely.

23 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

So record number of applications results in record number of delays.  The system is obviously temporarily overwhelmed.  Wouldn't be any different under Labour and its soon going to be Labours problem.

i think its better for labour if the problem can be pinned to  owned-by and dealt with by the tories.

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

you mean they haven't come in by a dreaded small boat?

Yeah look at those Bengali's, 100% not needing to come across by boat.

3 hours ago, Nobody Interesting said:

He’s also an incredibly poor politician and leader. Everything he does seems really bad may thought through. I wonder just who is advising him on the things he does as they keep putting him in situations that he clearly can’t handle. Bring on an election campaign. 

6 minutes ago, Neil said:

i think its better for labour if the problem can be pinned to  owned-by and dealt with by the tories.

Labour would open up sage, legal routes for migrants and open a processing centre in France. This would improve the situation drastically.