news & politics:discussion

zahidf

16 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Yep was 8 . Project solar who say they are a large company 

IMG_7001.png

Sounds and feel expensive to me. Here are a couple of links that show prices for the average house with 4 people far lower than that quote.

https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/solar-panels/article/solar-panels/solar-panel-costs-aDxBY2v7kr60

https://www.fmb.org.uk/homepicks/solar-panels/cost-of-solar-panels/

1 hour ago, Nobody Interesting said:

So rather than answer a polite question you turn into a fish and throw insults.

Oh well, I tried to engage but you chose to ignore all references to what a chair of HS2 said, select any little part and refuse to give an answer to a simple question.

As for do I think they looked at it - well yes they did and numerous studies said the money was better spent on the network as  a whole but a Labour government decided against that....................... I could go and find lots of links but I know you will ignore them.

Don't let the fact get in the way of you turning into the rude person you were before you sold this site. As I see no reason for your rudeness, and I know where it goes to having seen it all too often, You are now ignored as it really is rather pointless, same as with the fish man.

i pointed out why things don't get progressed  - cos as the saying goes - some people like to make perfect the enemy of good.i'm rude cos you're not as clever as you think you are, you haven't spotted the one fatal flaw with hs2, that would require  a level of knowledge you've already shown yourself not to have, and you're not even interesting enough to have a name or a personality.

35 minutes ago, Rufus Gwertigan said:

Just for interest the nuclear industry has its own police force and they are armed. Never say never but I think a successful terrorist attack unlikely.

they're also pretty sh*t from my experiences of them at Aldermaston.

20 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Sounds and feel expensive to me. Here are a couple of links that show prices for the average house with 4 people far lower than that quote.

https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/solar-panels/article/solar-panels/solar-panel-costs-aDxBY2v7kr60

https://www.fmb.org.uk/homepicks/solar-panels/cost-of-solar-panels/

cheers will investigate this 

33 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

but there are plenty of options.

glad we've got the experts in tonight, you mr uninteresting  can sort electric just after you've sorted the trains.

Edited by Neil

14 minutes ago, Neil said:

glad we've got the experts in tonight, you mr uninteresting  can sort electric just after you've sorted the trains.

come on Neil this is a discussion forum none of us profess to be experts ... maybe some of us learn things from this .

3 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

come on Neil this is a discussion forum none of us profess to be experts ... maybe some of us learn things from this .

Some profess to know better than the experts 

1 minute ago, Crazyfool01 said:

I think you've made that up in your head .... all ive seen is discussion .... Its pretty easy to be polite and civil even if you disagree 

Uninteresting knows better than the electric and rail experts. He rejected their expertise for something he'd just thought up.

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

Labour will put solar on rooftops of Social Housing. They say that they will ‘unleash the power of tidal and marine’ and that GBE will invest in developing clean tech such as tidal. 

I hope they bite the bullet.  Too many Governments have not. Expensive set up but just a constant source, unless the moon blows up ofcourse

7 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

I hope they bite the bullet.  Too many Governments have not. Expensive set up but just a constant source, unless the moon blows up ofcourse

I think the is an area where Starmer can really carve out his legacy especially if the Tories decide to go anti-climate policies. Starmer should try to become the ‘green PM’ where he changes the UK into the renewable future. So far from their policies there is a chance of this.

3 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I think the is an area where Starmer can really carve out his legacy especially if the Tories decide to go anti-climate policies. Starmer should try to become the ‘green PM’ where he changes the UK into the renewable future. So far from their policies there is a chance of this.

Oh indeed, obviously constrained on budgets, but certainly could be a legacy.

Will have to wait and see. I have got used to being let down , but there is hope.

12 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

Written a year ago but explains well about Tidal. Only 3 in the world.

https://www.energymonitor.ai/renewables/the-mystery-of-the-uks-untapped-tidal-power/?cf-view

best place in the world to do tidal is the Severn estuary cos it has the highest tidal range i n the world.

would be a big ecolological disaster tho, should have done it 50 years ago before such things mattered.

29 minutes ago, Neil said:

best place in the world to do tidal is the Severn estuary cos it has the highest tidal range i n the world.

would be a big ecolological disaster tho, should have done it 50 years ago before such things mattered.

😄 very true. 

16 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

I looked into solar panels, storage and heat pumps earlier in the year before just getting a new boiler installed.

Heat pumps are shockingly expensive and I don't see who would benefit from them.  

I found the same with solar panels.  The return on investment is just far too long to for them.  They also ruin the street scene if you have to install them on the front of your property.  Ugly things.

We looked at Solar. Once when we were not long in this house so some 24 years ago. Not like solar now obviously but we would be quids in. Sadly we had just had our first kid and was a bit scary.

Looked again this year and something like a 7 year payback roughly. Looked at 6 and an 11 set up. Sadly we do not have the capital, as it is earmarked eksewhere. So would have to take a loan so not worth it. Neighbours have it with battery so will see how they go.

I don't mind the look if them at all, and you soon get used to it. Better with new builds as they can be the roof.

2 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Battery really adds to the overall cost.

Yep, might think of building the system slowly. 

Mind you useful at the mo as could then go to Octopus electric with cheap rate at night, which is when my son rinses the power with his gaming set up

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

Yep, might think of building the system slowly. 

Mind you useful at the mo as could then go to Octopus electric with cheap rate at night, which is when my son rinses the power with his gaming set up

It's unlikely to have a heavy power load (source: an expert with40 years experience in the power industry.

52 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

We looked at Solar. Once when we were not long in this house so some 24 years ago. Not like solar now obviously but we would be quids in. Sadly we had just had our first kid and was a bit scary.

Looked again this year and something like a 7 year payback roughly. Looked at 6 and an 11 set up. Sadly we do not have the capital, as it is earmarked eksewhere. So would have to take a loan so not worth it. Neighbours have it with battery so will see how they go.

I don't mind the look if them at all, and you soon get used to it. Better with new builds as they can be the roof.

You can probably get it without having to pay a loan, they do schemes where the savings pay back the system cost.