news & politics:discussion

zahidf

newish hospital i was in in bristol had huge bloody cracks in the floor (wonder if that was it?). i noticed the cracks after i'd fallen on my arse very hard on that bit of floor, when i tried getting into bed by myself (i'd been told not to do that).

1 hour ago, Neil said:

w're suggesting when an election might be, so months on the standard suggestion list, which november often is, are good  for that.

To be fair to you November 2024 might not be such an out there suggestion, if things continue going badly for the Tories then it might be the latest they could go to given that they won’t want to campaign over Christmas again. 

1 hour ago, Neil said:

Ok, wrong.

On different subject labour reshuffle good to see Thangam Debbonaire

get a promotion. My MP so I'm bias but have always been impressed with her words in the commons. Wonder how she'll do with the different brief of culture.

Pity she’ll be out of a job in a years time.

#greensurge 

Nice one for spelling her name right but the giant font gave away the copy paste job 🥲

Edited by mattiloy
  • Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Pity she’ll be out of a job in a years time.

#greensurge 

Nice one for spelling her name right but the giant font gave away the copy paste job 🥲

i once told a journo off for getting it wrong in an article you're right about copy paste, won't be out of a job -greens aren't winning that seat.

35 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

There goes Sir Soft Left further uniteing the party.

A nice big broad tent full of people with a wide range of right wing views, all w*nking off over lower taxes.

and there goes the 6th form left attacking the party again doing the tories work

7 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I actually feel a bit sorry for Keegan and the sweary thing.

Why?

She was at a family party at the weekend while teachers and heads were in schools trying to sort the mess and make it possible to get kids places to be taught. Yes she was 'available' via tech but she should have been working, not partying.

But schools thing, along with state of NHS, along with things like Grenfell...shows what happens when spending is cut. Someone needs to be honest with the country, public spending needs to increase, that money needs to come from somewhere, the amount we can borrow is more limited than the past, growth is not much above zero, taxes are already higher than have been for a long time...but we need more...tax wealth, tax capital.

12 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Why?

She was at a family party at the weekend while teachers and heads were in schools trying to sort the mess and make it possible to get kids places to be taught. Yes she was 'available' via tech but she should have been working, not partying.

Oh I didn't know she was at a party. What a f**king c**t.

6 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Oh I didn't know she was at a party. What a f**king c**t.

It is in the same interview that she talked about it with a smug face telling the viewer that she had her phone etc with her. Another clueless minister trying to pass blame to anyone else while pretending they are working hard.

12 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

But schools thing, along with state of NHS, along with things like Grenfell...shows what happens when spending is cut. Someone needs to be honest with the country, public spending needs to increase, that money needs to come from somewhere, the amount we can borrow is more limited than the past, growth is not much above zero, taxes are already higher than have been for a long time...but we need more...tax wealth, tax capital.

and yet Labour are so scared of the rich people they pledge not to raise taxes on them despite it being the biggest 'priority of the people' in recent polls.

You cannot put all your eggs in the 'growth' basket and hope for a good outcome like Labour seem to be doing.

Little know tax cuts happened in the last Autumn statement - £7.3 billion for banks for example.

There is money out there, it is how those in power chose to distribute it that is different now.

Now we have Nick Gibbs, Schools Minister, admitting funding was 'cut' but still trying to pretend the request for 200 was refused and kept at 50............... it was 100, they asked for 200, it was cut to 50 by Sunak.

The truth is easy to find as it is on the governments own website - when will the fools realise this and just admit it? 

https://news.sky.com/story/minister-claims-gov-has-been-most-proactive-in-world-on-concrete-crisis-despite-claims-it-didnt-heed-warnings-12955284

4 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

It is in the same interview that she talked about it with a smug face telling the viewer that she had her phone etc with her. Another clueless minister trying to pass blame to anyone else while pretending they are working hard.

She inherited this sh*t, she didn't have to be open about this school building concrete thing but tried to cover it up like has been done so many times before, and is obviously exasperated by past treasury decisions. And bit sh*t of itv to broadcast what she said after interview imo.

There maybe some savings to be made from welfare reform. Hopefully money that can then be spent on other parts of the economy. That appears to be what Starmer is planning with the reshuffle anyway:

Edited by lost

8 minutes ago, lost said:

There maybe some savings to be made from welfare reform. Hopefully money that can then be spent on other parts of the economy. That appears to be what Starmer is planning with the reshuffle anyway:

Sounds like wants to get more people back to work by sorting out health/social care.

13 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Sounds like wants to get more people back to work by sorting out health/social care.

Yes it needs to be done. Huge rise in young people unable to work due to depression or anxiety. Possibly another unintended consequence of scaring the crap out of them during coivd.

44 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

and yet Labour are so scared of the rich people they pledge not to raise taxes on them despite it being the biggest 'priority of the people' in recent polls.

You cannot put all your eggs in the 'growth' basket and hope for a good outcome like Labour seem to be doing.

Little know tax cuts happened in the last Autumn statement - £7.3 billion for banks for example.

There is money out there, it is how those in power chose to distribute it that is different now.

they will raise taxes, whoever wins will raise taxes.