news & politics:discussion

zahidf

5 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

1) Be required, eventually, to use the Euro (though there is no official timescale)
2) Pay more to be a member as all the rebates we got are long gone.
3) Negotiate an opt out of Schengen rules (not guaranteed)
4) Scrap/change lots of recent legislation to come i n lien with EU legislation which will likely cost quite a lot of money.

When the government in control at the time work out a way to profit from the changes then it will happen. 

I was working in Spain not long after the Euro came in. Lots of price rounding up was done, what used to cost 200 pesatas became 2 euros. Just a small example but it’s those little profits for businesses that drive the big decisions. 

30 minutes ago, stuie said:

I doubt we'll re-join any time soon, possibly not in our lifetimes.  A few more old Brexiteers will have to die first. 

The oven was broken. 

im slightly more optimistic ... id say the parliament after next ... maybe the one after by that time it'll be approaching 20 years and those brexiteers will be dead 

14 minutes ago, Rufus Gwertigan said:

When I studied environmental protection I had to do law as well which was mainly EU law. The lecturer was a real europhile and had worked in Brussels yet at the time he used to say that it would take the UK 50 years to embrace the EU. This was in 2000 so he was wrong but I wouldn't be surprised at a similar time frame to rejoin.

we'll be in a new soviet union in 50 years.

38 minutes ago, Neil said:

rejoining seems a buit undemocratic, if its not done via a vote.

There should never be referendums, the people are:

1. Not intelligent enough (in general)

2. Not well informed enough (actually they are, but are generally too lazy to find out)

The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

Winston Churchill

34 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

He really wouldn’t. Have you seen the Tory membership ?! 

yeah, including the membership which might be their next leader, they're all sh*t, nowt better than Richi, which is why i think Rory would walk it.

6 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

There should never be referendums, the people are:

1. Not intelligent enough (in general)

2. Not well informed enough (actually they are, but are generally too lazy to find out)

Winston Churchill

i don't disagree, but if we're going  change policy, and ignore a vote we've already had, it should because of a new vote we've had.

If I was betting I think we may see a referendum in another member state regarding leaving before we have one on rejoining.

Germany scares me the most. They've bet the house on Russian gas and could be about to create whatever their equivalent of the red wall is by losing their manufacturing industry. 

1 hour ago, Neil said:

waiting for an amazon delivery is worse than waiting for the man:P 

it says hes 6 stops away but hes just in the next street literally round the corner.

arrived, quite a nice cross body bag , i tried to find one in town and couldnt find one i wanted to buy, spotted a nice leather  one in a webpage advert the other day,  found it on amazon, so ordered it (its a week away from delivery so got tempted by another (this one just delivered) in the meantime.

5 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I reckon brexit will have put off other countries trying something similar.

other countries have less to lose as they don't have some fantastic opt-outs.

1 hour ago, Crazyfool01 said:

its hardly deeply unpopular is it ? sometimes labour need to make some judgements that its the best way to go ... the polling shows that ... whatever they do will piss some off ... nows the time to take advantage of that poll lead , yeah they might lose the odd seat but are set for a stoking majority anyway 

The polling only shows it on a high level, for all we know the people that support rejoining are all concentrated in areas that don’t benefit the Labour vote.

This is exactly my point though, Labour announce another decent policy that will bring us closer to the EU and the talk straight away shifts to rejoining which is what the Tories want. They want to bring back the Brexit division.

The policy announcement today for that reason alone is pretty brave by Labour. 

7 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

They want to bring back the Brexit division.

All the Tories have left to fight an election on is division!

They can't campaign with their economic success, inflation, living standards, immigration, schools, NHS - all of that is f**ked. 

13 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

The polling only shows it on a high level, for all we know the people that support rejoining are all concentrated in areas that don’t benefit the Labour vote.

This is exactly my point though, Labour announce another decent policy that will bring us closer to the EU and the talk straight away shifts to rejoining which is what the Tories want. They want to bring back the Brexit division.

The policy announcement today for that reason alone is pretty brave by Labour. 

tories will try to play it, labour need to be careful to not walk into any traps.

5 minutes ago, stuie said:

All the Tories have left to fight an election on is division!

They can't campaign with their economic success, inflation, living standards, immigration, schools, NHS - all of that is f**ked. 

tories will give us tax cuts labour will tax us to death.

6 minutes ago, Neil said:

tories will give us tax cuts labour will tax us to death.

Ah yes, Conservatives - the party of low taxation - who've given us the highest tax burden since WW2.