news & politics:discussion

zahidf

7 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

So he’s either incompetent or he’s been lying to us.

If rate rises were truly the mechanism to bring down supply side driven inflation then whilst our inflation is 6% then surely rates still need to rise? So he’s either been lying to us all along or he’s incompetent.

Now as I’ve said rate rises aren’t the way of dealing with this type of inflation but it’s interesting to the BoE stumble their way through this crises. 

Just now, Ozanne said:

So he’s either incompetent or he’s been lying to us.

If rate rises were truly the mechanism to bring down supply side driven inflation then whilst our inflation is 6% then surely rates still need to rise? So he’s either been lying to us all along or he’s incompetent.

Now as I’ve said rate rises aren’t the way of dealing with this type of inflation but it’s interesting to the BoE stumble their way through this crises. 

he has said overall inflation has come down due to falling energy prices, and there are concerns about damage to economy higher rates are having, so no rate rise. But, some inflation is sticky, so interest rates might need to stay at these sort of levels for the foreseeable.

10 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

it was a close decision apparently. I guess depends what happens with inflation and economy/jobs etc over the next few months.

Yeah think it got to 50/50 in terms of markets betting on stick or raise. But yeah definitely, an interesting few months ahead. I would be very happy if this is the peak.

Edited by cellar

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

he has said overall inflation has come down due to falling energy prices, and there are concerns about damage to economy higher rates are having, so no rate rise. But, some inflation is sticky, so interest rates might need to stay at these sort of levels for the foreseeable.

So if inflation has come down due to falling energy prices then raising rates has nothing to do with it and was the wrong course of action all along?

It’s good rates have stayed at current levels but it feels like he’s taken us for mugs. 

17 minutes ago, cellar said:

I do love a good quiz - I got 5.2. I share a house with someone who drives, which I answered about, so I think that pushed me above 5. I'm pretty happy with that though, and really like that website as its got me thinking about little things I could do to improve, so thanks for sharing.

My pleasure.

It is obviously far from an exact science and there are many other similar tools out there but it give you a fair idea of where you are and what can be done to improve.

It's like the food waste question - none or not much lumped together. Ours is none and has been forever so that has to be better than 'not much' whatever that is.

Interesting commentary today by Freedman based on the recent British Attitudes Survey results:

https://samf.substack.com/p/liz-truss-is-right-britain-has-become?publication_id=631422&post_id=137237506&isFreemail=true&r=1v6dhw

Touches on lots of points made in this thread of late, especially about whether the public are moving further right or left:

"Since 1986 they’ve [BAS] produced a left-right scaled score based on a composite mix of statements about inequality and the role of government in reducing it (I’ve listed the statements at the end of the post). A score of zero would be maximally left-wing and 100 maximally right. Under New Labour the country drifted rightwards peaking at 42 in 2004, presumably because there was a notable reduction in poverty and an increase in public spending. In recent years it has dropped to 33, the lowest so far." [Emphasis mine]

BAS right-left.webp

45 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

6.6 .... hangs head in shame and leaves thread 😞 

I don't think that's anything to be ashamed of - didn't the blurb at the end say that the average for a Westerner is 10? 

I'm sure we could all do better, but I'm pretty sure no one on here has anything to be feeling guilty about (apart from Stevie, he probably has oil lamps).

50 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

6.6 .... hangs head in shame and leaves thread 😞 

1 minute ago, cellar said:

I don't think that's anything to be ashamed of - didn't the blurb at the end say that the average for a Westerner is 10? 

I'm sure we could all do better, but I'm pretty sure no one on here has anything to be feeling guilty about (apart from Stevie, he probably has oil lamps).

Correct - Western average is 10, global is 5 and that includes people who still have no electricity at home.

So Crazyfool is only 66% of the Western average so better than most especially those who fly 20 times a year seemingly without any thought for anything apart from themselves whilst trying to score points over people who care and try by selecting 2 small parts of one long post.............................. 

I say to anyone here, whatever their score - as long as you realise change is needed and make an effort to change (really make  a change not just make some inane comment like some) then you are doing well and are not part of the problem.

The problem is huge and it is easy to see in some why it is so big and why it likely will still be as big come 2050.

Yesterday we got the Headline gaining announcements that the media grabbed hold of with glee..............

Today we start to see some of the actual reality.......

He may have delayed the ban of new petrol and diesel cars til 2035 but the rest of the laws remain meaning that unless car makers sell a certain percentage of them they get fined by up to £15k per vehicle sold.

In other words, the makers will stop selling petrol and diesel cars sooner than Sunak's new date and so Sunak cannot have the finger of blame or the glare of anger - that goes to the car makers.............. the Tory way, get someone else, line them up and get the blame pointed at them instead.

The only small good thing is that of you can afford, and want, a new EV - wait til the week after Xmas, go to the dealer and if they still have sales they must make you will get a really good deal.

"

Car firms will still be forced to meet strict quotas for selling electric cars despite the ban on sales of new petrol and diesel vehicles being delayed.

From January, just over a fifth of vehicles sold must be electric, with the target expected to hit 80% by 2030.

If they fail to hit the target, manufacturers will face heavy fines of up to £15,000 a car.

The rule comes despite the ban on sales of new petrol and diesel cars being pushed back by five years to 2035.

Ah. Ok. I was going to do it again and put in that I have 1 child in house and see what difference it made, because my kid has just turned 18 and still lives at home. Anyway, I was going through it and realised hadn't clicked on anything for heating home...and when I clicked on gas my score went up to 5! f**k. Ok, I'll have to disconnect us when I get home.

5 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Ah. Ok. I was going to do it again and put in that I have 1 child in house and see what difference it made, because my kid has just turned 18 and still lives at home. Anyway, I was going through it and realised hadn't clicked on anything for heating home...and when I clicked on gas my score went up to 5! f**k. Ok, I'll have to disconnect us when I get home.

It's a bit too basic a questionnaire, e.g. your home may be heated by gas, but you may only turn the thermostat to 20 and only use it for 2 hours a day for 4 months a year.

40 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

It’s nothing new, he’s being saying this for ages. He’s said he wants to re-do the Brexit deal which will bring us closer to the EU.

This is also what I mean when I say the media/Tories will latch onto the smallest thing and try to spin it as Labour want to cancel Brexit.