news & politics:discussion

zahidf

3 minutes ago, Neil said:

public will see thru it, but will also have to believe the alternatives will be better.

Yeah they will, I think Labour will unveil their version of the Inflation Reduction Act as they've been very interested in that over in the US.

9 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

It's not like 1992, the polls are completely different and tax cuts on their own will barely make any impact to people's finances. If the government are deeply unpopular then it'll take a lot more to move the polls much closer. Tax cuts on their own probably won't make much difference and just because it happened before doesn't mean it's guaranteed to happen again.

You sound like numerous, and too many, Labour MP's talking about when not if..........................

1992 btw, 12 months out had a 15 point gap - so not that different............. and the Tories won by 8 points in 1992
2107 Labour were behind by 19 points when election called, lost by 2

The large lady is still asleep in bed and is a long long way from even considering singing.

I admire your optimism, but I am old and have seen it all too often before and ended up disappointed.

Edited by Nobody Interesting

9 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

It's not like 1992, the polls are completely different and tax cuts on their own will barely make any impact to people's finances. If the government are deeply unpopular then it'll take a lot more to move the polls much closer. Tax cuts on their own probably won't make much difference and just because it happened before doesn't mean it's guaranteed to happen again.

maybe...still scares the bejesus out of labour so that they have to keep insisting to anyone and everyone that they won't put up taxes.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/sep/24/i-had-surgery-on-sunday-and-was-home-by-monday-calls-for-nhs-rollout-of-gamechanging-stroke-treatment

i'm always pleased to see improvements in stroke treatment - have been trying to work out today if i benefitted from this (cos i was treated at "the London stroke unit" at st George's in tooting. (i was at my mum's in surrey when i had my stroke, not in Bristol). all the Bristol stroke treatment paths have been changed and improved in the last year (someone i know played a big part in sorting that).

2 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Yeah they will, I think Labour will unveil their version of the Inflation Reduction Act as they've been very interested in that over in the US.

can't see how, as there's no room for big borrowing.

2 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

You sound like numerous, and too many, Labour MP's talking about when not if..........................

1992 btw, 12 months out had a 15 point gap - so not that different............. and the Tories won by 8 points in 1992
2107 Labour were behind by 19 points when election called, lost by 2

The large lady is still asleep in bed and is a long long way from even considering singing.

I admire your optimism, but I am old and have seen it all too often before and ended up disappointed.

I don't think the next election is guaranteed at all, far from it, but I don't think that tax cuts on their own will magically move the polls closer. I certainly don't believe that just because it happened before it means it will happen again now.

It's also nothing like 1992 as the polls and overall political/economic picture is different. 

22 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Who said tax cuts on their own? Not me...............

8 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I don't think the next election is guaranteed at all, far from it, but I don't think that tax cuts on their own will magically move the polls closer. I certainly don't believe that just because it happened before it means it will happen again now.

It's also nothing like 1992 as the polls and overall political/economic picture is different. 

tax cuts worked for thatcher at a time of high taxes. will be interesting to see what sunak says about inheritance taxes as its been trailed that hes going to say something.

1 hour ago, Nobody Interesting said:

It certainly is coming soonish and there will be a tax cut announced in March as they know that can swing opinion by 5% (previous elections have shown that quite often).

Polls over the next few weeks will not really give much indication as each party gets a boost when their conference is on and then that fades in the weeks after before any real picture comes out.

I think the Tories have several 'populist' things ready and waiting to announce at conference and will see opinion on them before adding the best ones to the Kings' Speech in November

1 minute ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Who said tax cuts on their own? Not me...............

Your first sentence talks about tax cuts and I said I don't think tax cuts will move the polls this time around.

love david mitchell from here.

What will become of the royal family? That is a question people have been asking since the regime change of 2022. What sort of a state has that family got itself into? Can it survive in this form? The Queen Mother must be spinning in her grave, people think. The late Queen must have already been spinning as she was lowered into hers. All the mouldering bones of their hundreds of dead relatives, clustered at Westminster and Windsor but also dotted all over the place – Gloucester, Worcester, Reading, various places in Normandy, that car park in Leicester – must all be revolving with such vigour that, as a subterranean energy source, it represents a viable alternative to fracking.

😁

Edited by Neil

4 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Your first sentence talks about tax cuts and I said I don't think tax cuts will move the polls this time around.

Did you not manage to read to the end of the post you quoted then?

You will clearly see if you bothered that it says much more!!

2 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Did you not manage to read to the end of the post you quoted then?

You will clearly see if you bothered that it says much more!!

Yes I did but you also said tax cuts can swing polls by 5%. I'm saying that just because it happened before doesn't mean it will happen this time round. 

22 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Yes I did but you also said tax cuts can swing polls by 5%. I'm saying that just because it happened before doesn't mean it will happen this time round. 

reckon there's mileage in it this time, because of taxes being the highest ever.