news & politics:discussion

zahidf

9 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Yep and I’m sure jobs in hull pay as much as ones in Cambridge or London lol, you’re not as smart as you like to think you are 

What you're saying is wrong location.

Cambridge is wrong location if you want to live in Manchester.

30 minutes ago, Neil said:

Good post, govt has known since early 1980s that they need to increase building.

council building will be limited cos councils have sold off the land they might have built on.

Thanks.

It’s a tough situation and sadly one that won’t be fixed quickly. However if a Labour government can put measures in place such as a mortgage guarantee and increase the supply then it will go a long way to helping people. 

We also need affordable lending so people can afford their mortgages!

3 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Thanks.

It’s a tough situation and sadly one that won’t be fixed quickly. However if a Labour government can put measures in place such as a mortgage guarantee and increase the supply then it will go a long way to helping people. 

We also need affordable lending so people can afford their mortgages!

if labour do those first bits its a good start, and  could maybe do affordable lending similar to the old style (1950's-60s) council mortgages - typically 3%. that affordable lending could be wrapped into the mortgage guarantee stuff

council's rarely paid back the money borrowed from govt for mortgages, which pissed thatcher off, and caused the "no new building with right to buy money"  thing she operarted.

1 minute ago, fraybentos1 said:

So the solution is cheap loans and mortgage guarantees? Omg guys you’ve cracked it!! That will defo make homes more affordable!

nope.

its you and ozanne who wanted cheap loans, I've simply referenced how they used to be done.

6 minutes ago, Neil said:

if labour do those first bits its a good start, and  could maybe do affordable lending similar to the old style (1950's-60s) council mortgages - typically 3%. that affordable lending could be wrapped into the mortgage guarantee stuff

Something like that could work especially when in this scenario Labour would’ve built many new houses ensuring the supply is there. They could also look at stamp duty holidays again which was a massive help for me when I brought and other measures that will help working people get on the ladder. Cheaper mortgages will definitely help as it’ll lower people’s total outgoings every month and ensure they can hit affordability from lenders.

These measures will also help renters as in time they would help to reduce the cost of renting through various different ways. 

Edited by Ozanne

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

Something like that could work especially when in this scenario Labour would’ve built many new houses ensuring the supply is there. They could also look at stamp duty holidays again which was a massive help for me when I brought and other measures that will help working people get on the ladder.

isn't it the seller who pays stamp duty?

2 minutes ago, Neil said:

nope.

its you and ozanne who wanted cheap loans, I've simply referenced how they used to be done.

Yeah, low interest rates have helped many people afford their first property. If we get back to that alongside a vastly increased stock of housing then it’ll go a long way to helping. 

Just now, Neil said:

isn't it the seller who pays stamp duty?

I’m not sure quite sure if they do when they sell but you definitely have to when you buy. There was a holiday on stamp duty for first time buyers up a certain value of the property and without that I might not have been able to buy. 

Just now, Ozanne said:

Yeah, low interest rates have helped many people afford their first property. If we get back to that alongside a vastly increased stock of housing then it’ll go a long way to helping. 

low interest rates are more important than low house prices cos most of a mortgage payment is the uinterest.

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

I’m not sure quite sure if they do when they sell but you definitely have to when you buy. There was a holiday on stamp duty for first time buyers up a certain value of the property and without that I might not have been able to buy. 

i'm not sure who pays it cos i've never personally manged the buy or sale of the houses i've owned.

Just now, fraybentos1 said:

I don’t want cheap loans. Good lord , can you not read?

you wanted interest rates cheaper than the current market  rates.(interference again).

12 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

They could also look at stamp duty holidays again which was a massive help for me when I brought

Christ you’re actually just a Tory aren’t you 😂

13 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

These measures will also help renters as in time they would help to reduce the cost of renting through various different ways. 

Wow so specific 

Just now, fraybentos1 said:

No, Christ you don’t have a clue and earlier you claimed you’d looked at all the angles and said you’d concluded there was nothing that could be done lol 

i don't know the mechanics of buying or selling as i've never done it myself , i do know that stamp duty holiday was recently used to stimulate the market (my mum sold her house during that).