news & politics:discussion

zahidf

10 hours ago, mph said:

There is a separate section for jokes and stupid stuff

I often think of getting more involved but stupid sh*t makes me think ''nah forget it'' 

Get involved! Just try ignore Neil’s jokes and stubbornness, ozanne creaming himself over starmer and being wrong about interest rates every day and Stevie…. Well just try ignore him too. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

yeah may as well do big constitutional changes like this...cheap.

Not cheap,powers without money for action won't do a lot. Will become a battle over money in  the same way the metro mayor's have to go begging if they want to do anything.

Edited by Neil

14 minutes ago, Neil said:

Not cheap,powers without money for action won't do a lot. Will become a battle over money in  the same way the metro mayor's have to go begging if they want to do anything.

will give local authorities more power how to spend whatever is available in terms of housing, planning, transport etc. Won't cost the squillions that other things like sorting out sh*t state of public services or net zero.

4 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

will give local authorities more power how to spend whatever is available in terms of housing, planning, transport etc. Won't cost the squillions that other things like sorting out sh*t state of public services or net zero.

It'll cost what it'll cost and central govt will decide if that council can have the money.like it works now, metro mayor's don't have freedom to do anything. They want .

11 hours ago, Ozanne said:

Well…

I actually agree with Green Credit - but this article isn't an argument against rising IRs in general, it just discusses the impact high IRs has on Green projects and how "fossilflation" feeds into overall inflation, and then suggests preferential rates on refinancing options for Green projects. Ie. Even in an environment with high IRs, Green projects would have exemptions from these rates.

This is all really sound logic I think, but it is a long-term solution, and requires significant policy change.

Not surprising when we monetized more debt than the other during COVID. The thing I'm getting from the labour conference is how much power the OBR is going to have during the next parliament.

Edited by lost

28 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Starmer is calling green belt that can be built on grey belt.

It’s going to be a tough sell to people that don’t like the idea of building on the green belt but it’s a very bold policy and is another example that Labour’s manifesto will be quite radical. 

12 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Japan has had lower inflation as well. 

normal economic rules don't apply to japan.

its debt is so big interest rates should always  be sky high

4 minutes ago, Neil said:

normal economic rules don't apply to japan.

its debt is so big interest rates should always  be sky high

It goes to show there are methods to combatting supply side driven inflation.

7 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

It goes to show there are methods to combatting supply side driven inflation.

i don't think japan has a method i think its something that just happened due to circumstances.

2 minutes ago, Neil said:

i don't think japan has a method i think its something that just happened due to circumstances.

I’m sure they have their own methods to deal with their issues but it shows that there can be a different approach. 

14 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Crazy to finally start seeing the shift in the Japanese economy. I guess we will see fund managers increasing exposure on Japanese equities now - I know there's been talk of it this year, but people still understandably cautious.

Japan will have to do something about their IRs now though, especially if that foreign investment starts ramping up.