news & politics:discussion

zahidf

24 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

The IDF, who are professional military force, striking military targets can in no way be comparable to the actions of an horrific terrorist organisation who kill babies at point blank range.

But they're not just striking military targets are they. They are killng woman and babies just as surely as Hamas did.

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

Israel has nukes and that have some nut jobs in government and this may become existential for them.

They could nuke that area and the religious nutters on all sides would still fight over the radioactive remains. 

As long as people devote their way of life to religion there will never be peace in that region. 

6 minutes ago, Ommadawn said:

But they're not just striking military targets are they. They are killng woman and babies just as surely as Hamas did.

Isn’t that partly due to Hamas hiding in areas with women and babies, this isn’t necessarily normal rules of war.

To me calling for a ceasefire is a simplistic solution to a complex situation and has I have said previously what British politicians say will make no difference. I also wouldn’t discount that some people (maybe Burnham) may have an eye on a future leadership contest so we need to remember politicians are always playing politics.

To me I’m yet to hear a great intellectual argument why Israel should agree to a ceasefire while the hostages haven’t been released. I guess the counter is there goes Hamas negotiation position, but we end up going around in circles.

8 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Isn’t that partly due to Hamas hiding in areas with women and babies, this isn’t necessarily normal rules of war.

To me calling for a ceasefire is a simplistic solution to a complex situation and has I have said previously what British politicians say will make no difference. I also wouldn’t discount that some people (maybe Burnham) may have an eye on a future leadership contest so we need to remember politicians are always playing politics.

To me I’m yet to hear a great intellectual argument why Israel should agree to a ceasefire while the hostages haven’t been released. I guess the counter is there goes Hamas negotiation position, but we end up going around in circles.

well eventually there will be a ceasefire, will it be when no one is left? The only solution to the middle east is a political one.

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

and now Labour MP Andy McDonald has been suspended for a "river to the sea" speech at a demo on the weekend.

Lets have a look at what he actually said.

In his speech at a demonstration on Saturday, Mr McDonald said: "We will not rest until we have justice. Until all people, Israelis and Palestinians, between the river and the sea, can live in peaceful liberty."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-67268154