news & politics:discussion

zahidf

8 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

well, inflation is dropping so cost of living crisis will likely ease...

Things will still be getting more expensive just a little bit slower, it’s hardly a golden era. 

20 hours ago, steviewevie said:

nah, really can't see it. Why would they hold a snap election on an issue that not that many people are bothered about and when labour have a 20+ point lead? Not happening. What I can see happening is Braverman losing her job pretty soon, and then Sunak delaying next election as long as poss in hope economy picks up and something comes along that f**ks labour.

Most Tory voters care about it (the same voters who didn't turn out at the recent by-elections). They still won't win a GE but it might reduce the size of the loss. Then hope Labour can't turn the Country around within 5 years so they can have a better shot at winning the next one.

Maybe.

Edited by Ommadawn

14 minutes ago, Ommadawn said:

Most Tory voters care about it (the same voters who didn't turn out at the recent by-elections). They still won't win a GE but it might reduce the size of the loss. Then hope Labour can't turn the Country around within 5 years so they can have a better shot at winning the next one.

Maybe.

I'm sure they want small boats and flights to Rwanda and leaving ECHR as their brexit bingo card, but I just don't see it. Leaving EU was a big existential thing, a large part was because of immigration, but I don't believe a lot of people actually want some cruelty applied to immigrants, especially these asylum seekers. I like to believe that anyway, maybe I'm naive.

Anyway, I can see leaving ECHR being part of their election manifesto if Rwanda ruling doesn't go their way, but not this year, more likely in 12 months time (or 6 months etc).

On 11/11/2023 at 9:28 PM, steviewevie said:

So the meeting between the right wing racists and left wing terrorist sympathisers went as well as they thought it would. 

Extremist views always cause issues. Were there any problems from the more moderate centrist groups?

No you say?

Maybe having a more balanced view of the world and politics in general is the better way of doing things. 🤔

1 hour ago, squirrelarmy said:

So the meeting between the right wing racists and left wing terrorist sympathisers went as well as they thought it would. 

Extremist views always cause issues. Were there any problems from the more moderate centrist groups?

No you say?

Maybe having a more balanced view of the world and politics in general is the better way of doing things. 🤔

trouble is the extremists always get seen and heard over everyone else. So from what I can gather most people on that march were just wanting a ceasefire and Palestinians to have the same freedoms and rights as others enjoy, but the few who support Hamas or show antisemitic views are the ones we see.

Anyway, looks like Braverman is doubling down and wants to see these marches banned...that along with the Rwanda legality thing could make for an interesting week.