news & politics:discussion

zahidf

15 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

I get his legacy is trashed following Brexit but why on earth he would want to anchor himself to the sinking ship Rishi is a bit beyond me.  Maybe the guest speaker money has run dry.

He got millions from lobbying for that dodgy company to get some covid money

I think the thing that this screams to me is that the Tory team is so weak, they are having to recruit from outside of it. 

There's literally no talent left to fill the cabinet roles. 

Interesting choice of day for this minister at the Dept of Health to announce he's stepping down from government. He'd already announced back in June that he was quitting as MP and not facing the next general election (majority of only 9k). Speculation that despite the guff in his resignation letter that perhaps the stars are aligning for a May GE?

6 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Also any true rising talent probably doesn't want to wed themselves to this sinking ship.  Better to wait a few years.

Or just leave politics entirely. It's not just Will Quince that's leaving, a bunch of others have resigned today as well. Zombie govt until the GE given that it's the junior ministers who get the work done.

8 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Also any true rising talent probably doesn't want to wed themselves to this sinking ship.  Better to wait a few years.

The rising talent leans heavily to the right as well… likes of Kemi B etc. 

They need to face facts now… it’s over! 

2 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Them leaning to the right might be an issue for you and most members of this forum but its less of an issue for the rest of the country as history of elections show.  The country usually votes right.

The problem is this government is out of ideas and out of energy and have made too many mistakes.

Well, I'd disagree with that in so far as the Tories have never been as right wing as they are now.  And other parties like UKIP have never had any major success. 

This time will be different.