news & politics:discussion

zahidf

I would say Sunak probably came out of that ok...he was obviously getting targeted a lot as he's the front runner...although Badenoch was quite nice to him...

Mordaunt just seemed a bit dull, can't actually remember anything she said. 

Truss is awful, although what she was saying on NI cuts and spreading the covid debt sets out a big dividing line between her and Sunak.

Tugenhadt did ok, he is good at the nice guy, emotional stuff...but he lost votes the other day and is just in it for a job.

Badenoch was doing the we need to be honest about tax and spend without actually really committing to anything, but we know from her press thing the other day she wants lower taxes and a smaller state...cutting all that waste at school...you know these over staffed schools with all these unnecessary extra curricular activities. Also, she didn't do much of the culture war thing apart from her little self id spat with Mordaunt. She was weak on her final speech thing.

• Upvote 1

Before tonight I thought anyone who was up against Sunak in the final two would win as he'd be much more popular with MP's than members. Not so sure now, his plan of turning to all the others offering freebies and effectively saying  "Look I've actually seen the books, if you think we can have anything apart from high taxes and shit public services for a generation your living in cloud cookoo land" might actually work.

3 hours ago, steviewevie said:

I would say Sunak probably came out of that ok...he was obviously getting targeted a lot as he's the front runner...although Badenoch was quite nice to him...

Mordaunt just seemed a bit dull, can't actually remember anything she said. 

Truss is awful, although what she was saying on NI cuts and spreading the covid debt sets out a big dividing line between her and Sunak.

Tugenhadt did ok, he is good at the nice guy, emotional stuff...but he lost votes the other day and is just in it for a job.

Badenoch was doing the we need to be honest about tax and spend without actually really committing to anything, but we know from her press thing the other day she wants lower taxes and a smaller state...cutting all that waste at school...you know these over staffed schools with all these unnecessary extra curricular activities. Also, she didn't do much of the culture war thing apart from her little self id spat with Mordaunt. She was weak on her final speech thing.

Cheers for this and everyone for watching because I sure as hell wasn't going to!

On 7/11/2022 at 7:52 PM, steviewevie said:

I guess. A lot of money though. 

From Winchester college website:

For 2021/2022, the boarding fees are £43,335 per annum (£14,445 per term)

For 2022/23, the fees are as follows:

• The fee for Boarding pupils will be £45,936 per annum (£15,312 per term).
  • The fee for Day pupils will be £33,990 per annum (£11,330 per term).

he was prolly a day pupil as he lived down the road in southampton.

Mordaunt still my preferred choice out of main 3. She was only one saying we should invest as we decarbonise and transition to a green economy. That is exactly what we should do. Larger state because we need it, aging population. And borrow to invest and grow the economy. Sunak doesn't want to invest in anything. Truss wants to cut taxes and delay and/or water down net zero commitments. She would be a disaster.

Best thing Truss could do is pull out. If its a choice from the "right" of the party between Truss and Badenoch I haven't a clue why anyone would go for Truss. She finished bottom of the Opinium post survey, the stuff about increasing our debt to Japan/U.S levels was idiotic. Japan is net exporter with an older population who buy their own countries debt, The US is the world reserve currency and so countries have to hold dollars for trade. The whole reason this commodity bull market is hurting more than the last is because the pound is down under $1.20 and she's wanting to devalue it further.

1 minute ago, lost said:

Best thing Truss could do is pull out. If its a choice from the "right" of the party between Truss and Badenoch I haven't a clue why anyone would go for Truss. She finished bottom of the Opinium post survey, the stuff about increasing our debt to Japan/U.S levels was idiotic. Japan is net exporter with an older population who buy their own countries debt, The US is the world reserve currency and so countries have to hold dollars for trade. The whole reason this commodity bull market is hurting more than the last is because the pound is down under $1.20 and she's wanting to devalue it further.

Don't give her ideas! I think Truss would be the labour handpicked opponent.