news & politics:discussion

zahidf

16 minutes ago, gary1979666 said:

I sorted one a few months ago, just waiting to move to secure it. If it falls through, then back to square one.  Fixed for 10yrs at 2.34%, but same parameters now is 3.59% - is only going to go up now.

That’s pretty good for a 10 year fixed. 

3 hours ago, steviewevie said:

Yeah I agree..but at same time by sacking this bloke looks like he's picking a fight with unions. I appreciate that starmer was left in a tricky position, but if he just ignored it and maybe had a quiet word it wouldn't be the story it is today. 

Maybe.

He needs to appreciate that to many in Labour the links with the unions is literally what it's all about, but at same time others need to appreciate Labour can't actually do anything unless in power. And the only time they have won in last 50 odd years is under Blair.

Yeah this is my take on it really. It should have been obvious how the sacking would look and be reported. He fell right into that when it could have been avoided.

Also I don't know if I think loyalty is a good thing when it comes to politicians. I think they should all be judged critically at all times. That's why I hated all the Corbyn chants - I don't think we should treat politicians like that. I voted for the guy but could see he was deeply flawed. They all are, they're human and should be judged by their actions.

Be loyal to a party yeah. But to one particular politician? I think it's setting yourself up for disappointment.

7 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Also I don't know if I think loyalty is a good thing when it comes to politicians. I think they should all be judged critically at all times. That's why I hated all the Corbyn chants - I don't think we should treat politicians like that. I voted for the guy but could see he was deeply flawed. They all are, they're human and should be judged by their actions.

Be loyal to a party yeah. But to one particular politician? I think it's setting yourself up for disappointment.

it is probably better to not have a cult like following, like Corbyn, like Johnson, Clegg, Thatcher and Blair. Starmer seems to be either totally despised, or at best considered maybe ok. I don't think there's many people out there who adore him, maybe his kids like him, not sure. Oh, and Ozanne of course! Sorry, forgot about his number 1 fan. Anyway, point is, I don't think he will disappoint many people by being a total let down when he becomes PM. You never know he might actually be amazing, best PM ever. Even better than Blair 😉

Or he'll lose the next election and be replaced by Rachel Reeves.

49 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

it is probably better to not have a cult like following, like Corbyn, like Johnson, Clegg, Thatcher and Blair. Starmer seems to be either totally despised, or at best considered maybe ok. I don't think there's many people out there who adore him, maybe his kids like him, not sure. Oh, and Ozanne of course! Sorry, forgot about his number 1 fan. Anyway, point is, I don't think he will disappoint many people by being a total let down when he becomes PM. You never know he might actually be amazing, best PM ever. Even better than Blair 😉

Or he'll lose the next election and be replaced by Rachel Reeves.

Yeah my opinion about him is that he seems generally okay, not perfect, does some things that seem a bit shit. But would be way better than the alternative. I don't see him winning an election, though. Hung parliament seems best we can hope for.