news & politics:discussion

zahidf

14 minutes ago, lost said:

I actually feel sorry for her as she's being exploited and doesn't have the mental capacity to work it out. Hasn't had an education and public opinion could turn extremely quickly.

see this shit from people who just don't like what she's saying...the Toby Youngs and Julia Hartley-Brewer's of this world. Also...I have family members who are autistic, and using it to downplay what she is saying is just wrong on many levels.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

.I have family members who are autistic, and using it to downplay what she is saying is just wrong on many levels.

So do I and we all know one of the biggest issues is the inability to read a situation with nuance. Some of the stuff she's come out with like blaming Britain for the industrial revolution etc.. Before that the average "rich westerner" was living on the modern equivalent of less than $1 a day its difficult to comprehend how much our standard of living is linked to cheap energy.

Edited by lost

4 minutes ago, lost said:

So do I and we all know one of the biggest issues is the inability to read a situation with no nuance. Some of the stuff she's come out with like blaming Britain for the industrial revolution etc.. Before that the average "rich westerner" was living on the modern equivalent of less than $1 a day its difficult to comprehend how much our standard of living is linked to cheap energy.

Maybe she can see the bigger picture that older, greedier, short termist, small minded bread heads can't.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Maybe she can see the bigger picture that older, greedier, short termist, small minded bread heads can't.

As I've said if the bigger picture is freezing to death and starvation it'll be difficult to get people onboard.

6 minutes ago, lost said:

As I've said if the bigger picture is freezing to death and starvation it'll be difficult to get people onboard.

yeah, so the whole net zero thing is a transition. It is not happening over night, it is happening over several decades. It won't be easy, but with massive investments, and massive support for poorer countries, and massive cooperation it is possible.

16 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

yeah, so the whole net zero thing is a transition. It is not happening over night, it is happening over several decades. It won't be easy, but with massive investments, and massive support for poorer countries, and massive cooperation it is possible.

That’s what I’ve been saying all along. The only we won’t achieve it is if governments decide they don’t want to.

3 hours ago, steviewevie said:

going forward renewables are going to become cheaper. Just watch what US does over the next decade.

China is experiencing a heatwave, which is also meaning a surge in energy use...so they're probably going to have to go fossil fuels in short term but long term move to renewables.

With the present system will renewables get cheaper. I stock with a green provider yet because the wholesale price is fixed by gas prices my cost has gone up. How that will change with increased renewables or nuclear has yet to be seen. Gas especially green gas will always have a place on the system. Money is there to be made.

As for China they are in the process of a massive weather modification programme to increase rainfall. For me this is a worry that many will start thinking of technological methods, like Geoengineering, to at the least to postpone net zero 

3 hours ago, lost said:

So do I and we all know one of the biggest issues is the inability to read a situation with nuance. Some of the stuff she's come out with like blaming Britain for the industrial revolution etc.. Before that the average "rich westerner" was living on the modern equivalent of less than $1 a day its difficult to comprehend how much our standard of living is linked to cheap energy.

As far as I can tell, mainly the stuff she’s coming out with is well sourced scientific arguments for why the climate is going down the tubes, shining a light on that and why its important that we stop it. I would’ve thought fairly laudable stuff by anyone’s standards. Maybe not..

17 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

I would’ve thought fairly laudable stuff by anyone’s standards. Maybe not..

Well I think the issue is is if solutions proposed kill more people than climate change. The "sit in the dark and wait for things to be invented" crowd appear to be slipping outside the Overton window. The EU has just labelled nuclear green energy etc.. much to Greta's disgust.

This week's Guardian politics weekly podcast has John Harris in Birmingham talking to tory members at the hustings there about Truss, Sunak, cost of living etc, and also he talks to people bearing the brunt of cost of living crisis in the area...

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/audio/2022/sep/01/inside-a-tory-hustings-and-out-in-the-real-world-politics-weekly-uk

Edited by steviewevie