news & politics:discussion

zahidf

29 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

So you are happy with the energy firms right now?

No wonder they are doing what they are doing, they are getting an easy ride. 

No, not happy, but that is capitalism. If we are going to sell off our public utilities, this is what we can expect. So, they need regulation and subsidies, or just go the whole hog and nationalise. But, wholesale gas prices have gone through the roof the last 6 months, so that price increase has to be paid by someone, either us through bills, or govt through taxation/debt.

Edited by steviewevie

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

No, not happy, but that is capitalism. If we are going to sell off our public utilities, this is what we can expect. So, they need regulation and subsidies, or just go the whole hog and nationalise. But, wholesale gas prices have gone through the roof the last 6 months, so that price increase has to be paid by someone, either us through bills, or govt through taxation/debt.

So if you aren’t happy with those companies what should they do about it?

1 hour ago, Barry Fish said:

And one way or another we pay in the end through taxes to the government...

If it was "nationalised" we would still be exposed to the increase anyway...  

Bedwetters like @Ozanne are going to have a rough couple of years when they to start to the feel the realities of global change and their cushy spoon fed existence slowly breaks down.  Life as you knew it is over.  This countries position in the world is on a one way track like it or not and the idea we can keep propping up the bedwetters is for the birds.  You are going to have to start working for a living mate rather than living off spoon fed benefits 🙂 

Certainly heading for a very shitty time all around it appears. We are fucked as a species as well. Businesses going to go under left right and centre. 

5 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

Certainly heading for a very shitty time all around it appears. We are fucked as a species as well. Businesses going to go under left right and centre. 

Indeed it’s gonna be a very difficult time for so many, sadly our government could be doing so much more to help people but they just haven’t done enough so far.

This is also where the greedy energy firms come into it, look at what they are doing to businesses where there isn’t a cap, it’s racketeering and needs to be stopped. 

6 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I can't quite understand why the govt are so ABSENT.

Not every tory mp is rich, there must be plenty that will be exposed to these price hikes on a personal/social level and enough mps must be involved in SMEs either as board members, trustees or consultants to understand what's going on...so where are they?

These increases for businesses are completely unsustainable, no SME can weather a long-term 10-fold plus increase in basic energy costs (let alone the baked in increases coming down the line for materials). Loads of established businesses operate on small profit margins that can't simply take out business loans to cover the sheer scale of the increases.

It would be glib to think that the tory mps just don't care or can't see it coming because this will be screwing up their world too, they won't be immune to it. So have they been told by Truss that there's an ingenious plan and they just need to patiently wait until next week?

It better be a fucking good plan.

as a distraction from awful real life, there's going to be a dark version of winnie the poo, a sort of slasher movie.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-11165553/Winnie-Pooh-Piglet-dark-turn-killing-spree-slasher-film.html

apols for the dm link its what came up when i googled for the story, i'd heard about it on the radio.

3 minutes ago, Neil said:

as a distraction from awful real life, there's going to be a dark version of winnie the poo, a sort of slasher movie.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-11165553/Winnie-Pooh-Piglet-dark-turn-killing-spree-slasher-film.html

apols for the dm link its what came up when i googled for the story, i'd heard about it on the radio.

interesting 

10 minutes ago, Kurosagi said:

Not every tory mp is rich, there must be plenty that will be exposed to these price hikes on a personal/social level and enough mps must be involved in SMEs either as board members, trustees or consultants to understand what's going on...so where are they?

These increases for businesses are completely unsustainable, no SME can weather a long-term 10-fold plus increase in basic energy costs (let alone the baked in increases coming down the line for materials). Loads of established businesses operate on small profit margins that can't simply take out business loans to cover the sheer scale of the increases.

It would be glib to think that the tory mps just don't care or can't see it coming because this will be screwing up their world too, they won't be immune to it. So have they been told by Truss that there's an ingenious plan and they just need to patiently wait until next week?

I think there will be a plan even with some kind of handouts by Truss but it won’t be enough. 

27 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I think there will be a plan even with some kind of handouts by Truss but it won’t be enough. 

gonna hurt Nadhim Zahawi  to heat his stables, now that he can't claim it on expenses.

they should get my bruv on the job as hes a ship's engineer, nothing that has planes land on it, only things that have helicopters land on them 

(billionaire's superyachts is his thing). worst he has to deal with is a broken pepper mill.

2 minutes ago, Neil said:

they should get my bruv on the job as hes a ship's engineer, nothing that has planes land on it, only things that have helicopters land on them 

(billionaire's superyachts is his thing). worst he has to deal with is a broken pepper mill.

I read that some billionaire bought a frigate and made it in to super yacht. The Royal Navy should do it.

2 hours ago, Neil said:

anyone gonna be watching the rocket go up tomorrow? should be spectacular. 🙂 

Will watch the highlights I guess. 

About three years ago I visited the European Space Agency in France a few times to install some special electrical equipment on their massive machines that weld the huge rocket boosters for the new Ariane 6 project. 

I can’t wait for that launch but it’s running a few years late and was already out of date when they started the project as single use rockets for launching satellites has been superseded by Space X reusable design. 

4 hours ago, Kurosagi said:

So that the new PM can ride in and save the day. Or at least look like they are doing something to save the day.

And fuck anyone who goes under before then.