news & politics:discussion

zahidf

55 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

What labour will need will depend on the arithmetic. My prediction is labour will still need SNP not to vote against a budget. I can't see there being any deals made in relation to independence. I think labour will make the SNP choose labour or tory and they will fold.

If Labour aren't getting over 300 seats they should be embarrassed. 

Any hint that Labour will cosy up to the SNP = lost election. See 2015 for details. Hence why Starmer is trying so hard to say that won't happen.

1 hour ago, pink_triangle said:

What labour will need will depend on the arithmetic. My prediction is labour will still need SNP not to vote against a budget. I can't see there being any deals made in relation to independence. I think labour will make the SNP choose labour or tory and they will fold.

My prediction is tories will win with a much reduced majority.

BET NOW!

6 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

If Labour aren't getting over 300 seats they should be embarrassed. 

Any hint that Labour will cosy up to the SNP = lost election. 

true, people want a govt to fully  represent the UK.not to undermine the UK.

12 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

partly funded by a windfall tax.

Which the least these greedy energy companies should be doing.

2 minutes ago, Neil said:

true, people want a govt to fully  represent the UK.not to undermine the UK.

Literally no one is talking about the SNP and Labour so I’ve no idea why it’s been brought up. Labour have made clear there won’t be any deals. 

2 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Which the least these greedy energy companies should be doing.

Literally no one is talking about the SNP and Labour so I’ve no idea why it’s been brought up. Labour have made clear there won’t be any deals. 

someone just was who i replied to.

16 hours ago, charlierc said:

Jesus Christ.

I can imagine there's further pain for pubs as well as a winter World Cup must've made many think that they might be in to relieve some of the trouble but this is quite the huge obstacle that's just throttling covid recovery at source.

The World Cup being in winter, and clashing with Christmas Parties is not helpful at all 😞

16 hours ago, Neil said:

radio four this morning talked about the twenty quid pint.

i said my local will prolly get rid of its outdoor heaters. which will be a shame cos most people sit in the yard.

14 hours ago, Rufus Gwertigan said:

Fuck is it really that bad. At what level does your business become not been viable? How much will your customers take?

I'm an alright type Jack type of man. I am an introvert and keep myself to myself. I have to move due to being evicted but I worry about older neighbours. In my next place I will invite elderly neighbours for a hot meal or even for a cup of tea. I remember the power cuts of the 70's but what the fuck have we come to? Surely we should learn from history but fuck it 

It's bad, but it's not just pubs. And handouts only delay the problem and put the country in more debt. They really need to match any support package with huge, and accelerated, investment into UK generated renewable energy capacity. 

The £15 pint is a realistic prospect because it's not just our energy costs that go up. Every single supplier to the trade is also going to be hit by energy prices, and will raise their prices to us accordingly. On top of this, we're going to have to look after our own people, we can't expect them to survive this on the same wage. 

Handouts may get us through winter. But until we are no longer a net importer of energy, and have excess capacity within this country, and the competitive energy market that will bring, then we are always going to have to pay the highest prices to import our energy during times of global shortages.

We'll be ok, if we have to close the business we'll close the business, and go again with something new when the storm passes. We started with nothing, until the kids were about 10 we managed a weekly shop at Herron and Aldi for 4 on less than £25, we had our meter wired 😉 and we walked everywhere. We're not afraid to go back to our roots, so we'll be just fine. As long as we have each other. Kids are now 18 and 19, so they can pitch in too, if we're all working we should just about be able to afford a cinema trip once a year after paying the bills. 🙈😂 

Edited by Alvoram

20 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

The World Cup being in winter,a dn clashing with Christmas Parties is not helpful at all 😞

It's bad, but it's not just pubs. And handouts only delay the problem and put the country in more debt. They really need to match any support package with huge, and accelerated, investment into UK generated renewable energy capacity. 

The £15 pint is a realistic prospect because it's not just our energy costs that go up. Every single supplier to the trade is also going to be hit by energy prices, and will raise their prices to us accordingly. On top of this, we're going to have to look after our own people, we can't expect them to survive this on the same wage. 

Handouts may get us through winter. But until we are no longer a net importer of energy, and have excess capacity within this country, and the competitive energy market that will bring, then we are always going to have to pay the highest prices to import our energy during times of global shortages.

We'll be ok, if we have to close the business we'll close the business, and go again with something new when the storm passes. We started with nothing, until the kids were about 10 we managed a weekly shop at Herron and Aldi for 4 on less than £25, we had our meter wired 😉 and we walked everywhere. We're not afraid to go back to our roots, so we'll be just fine. As long as we have each other. Kids are now 18 and 19, so they can pitch in too, if we're all working we should just about be able to afford a cinema trip once a year after paying the bills. 🙈😂 

That does sound blooming awful. 

Agree about them and renewables, but presume that's not on her mail and express driven agenda. 

Your last paragraph, which is clearly a dreadful prospect, did give me a Seasick Steve earworm.    Sorry 😊

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gary1979666 said:

I get the small % of the electorate issue, but it's the same across the spectrum....how many got their say when Gordon Brown took over?  Not a great system, but hardly a Tory issue.

You're not comparing like with like - fair enough if you compare how he was elected to how the tories used to elect leaders, but you did not. 

If you choose to compare their level of backing by MPs then, unlike Truss, he was backed overwhelmingly by them. 

34 minutes ago, clarkete said:

You're not comparing like with like - fair enough if you compare how he was elected to how the tories used to elect leaders, but you did not. 

If you choose to compare their level of backing by MPs then, unlike Truss, he was backed overwhelmingly by them. 

Your point was that a very small proportion of the electorate actually voted for Truss. A fair point, worth making.

I was merely countering, saying that Brown got into office with zero % of the electorate voting.  (Same as May). But all I'm saying is that Labour can't claim some sort of electoral unfairness, when they did the same. 

And in the same way, Truss will get kicked out in a couple of years too!

59 minutes ago, clarkete said:

That does sound blooming awful. 

Agree about them and renewables, but presume that's not on her mail and express driven agenda. 

Your last paragraph, which is clearly a dreadful prospect, did give me a Seasick Steve earworm.    Sorry 😊

Started out with Nothin' or Hobo Low? 🙈😂

Where does everyone stand on the This Morning Spin to Win controversy? They have changed the prize today to all household bills for 4 months rather than just energy. I can see why people have kicked off but ultimately the show is providing an opportunity to win some money to help and it is surely a symptom rather than a cause?

3 minutes ago, hodgey123 said:

Where does everyone stand on the This Morning Spin to Win controversy? They have changed the prize today to all household bills for 4 months rather than just energy. I can see why people have kicked off but ultimately the show is providing an opportunity to win some money to help and it is surely a symptom rather than a cause?

I don’t really care about the game, I care about the situation that leads to this game having to be a thing. It’s a joke. 

10 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I don’t really care about the game, I care about the situation that leads to this game having to be a thing. It’s a joke. 

That's what I am saying - there is a lot of faux outrage online about ITV running this but it is missing the point!