news & politics:discussion

zahidf

1 minute ago, Barry Fish said:

The best ones are the ones who turned up last night at 2am outside the Palace just to "be there".  Knobbers  😆 

its weirder because so few have stayed, there's no crowd, diana did much better.

Just now, Zoo Music Girl said:

It's insane that this is going to push the energy crisis off the news agenda. But Liz must have been delighted to have her moment of gravitas a la Blair and Diana.

Liz Truss I mean. Not that her speech had any kind of gravitas really (I didn't want to watch it but we were in a pub and they whacked the sound right up). Some dickhead jumped up and shouted "god save the king!" Farcical stuff.

8 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Liz Truss I mean. Not that her speech had any kind of gravitas really (I didn't want to watch it but we were in a pub and they whacked the sound right up). Some dickhead jumped up and shouted "god save the king!" Farcical stuff.

Have you stopped cringing yet? Not sure I would have

Yeah it’s cringey but why are people ‘dickheads’ or ‘knobs’ for feeling invested in something. I’m sure we all have certain things that would effect us that others just wouldn’t understand.

People are allowed to be invested in whatever they want (within reason) and allowed to process events in whatever way works for them. 

If you step back it's all kind of interesting, how the constitution works and all the procedures that we go through now when monarch dies...but also what having a monarch as head of state means, especially one seemingly as non political and opaque as Elizabeth was, and how ridiculous it is, but how we either love it, or hate it, or mostly are indifferent to it, so it remains. It is what we're all about it seems, it is our national anthem, it represents us to the world. How different it would be if we had a president Liz Truss as our head of state.

18 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

we all knew this was going to happen...may as well go along with it.

God Save The King.

I don't believe in God or the monarchy so it's a no from me. Wake me up when it's over.

6music is on but doing the sad songs only, let's all be sad thing. Not sure how much I can hack of it.

6 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Yeah it’s cringey but why are people ‘dickheads’ or ‘knobs’ for feeling invested in something. I’m sure we all have certain things that would effect us that others just wouldn’t understand.

People are allowed to be invested in whatever they want (within reason) and allowed to process events in whatever way works for them. 

I wouldn't shout it out in a room full of people and expect them to go along with it to be fair. He was doing it for the look of the thing.

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

If you step back it's all kind of interesting, how the constitution works and all the procedures that we go through now when monarch dies...but also what having a monarch as head of state means, especially one seemingly as non political and opaque as Elizabeth was, and how ridiculous it is, but how we either love it, or hate it, or mostly are indifferent to it, so it remains. It is what we're all about it seems, it is our national anthem, it represents us to the world. How different it would be if we had a president Liz Truss as our head of state.

Oh yeah it’s all really interesting as you point out. Everything changes like the national anthem, stamps, money, police and army uniforms too. 

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I wouldn't shout it out in a room full of people and expect them to go along with it to be fair. He was doing it for the look of the thing.

Neither would I but people are really invested in the Queen so will do different things (I would imagine he was probably half cut too 😂)