news & politics:discussion

zahidf

It surely gets to the stage (if it isn’t already) where Truss has no mandate for this type of economic shift? Johnson got the Tories elected in a vastly different program, so there is a good argument Truss doesn’t have the mandate for this. 

12 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

oh god, we really don't need higher house prices.

Well yeah that’s kinda my thinking what with interests going up.

Plus isn’t the problem supply not demand?

8 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

yes, we need more houses. Torsten Bell has tweeted about this, saying stamp duty is actually a crap tax, but just scrapping like this will lead to more people being priced out of housing market. He reckons stamp duty should be replaced by a reformed council tax that gets more money from higher value properties.

12 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

the problem is the profit in houses, lower stamp duty increases the profit.

5 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

reformed council tax that gets more money from higher value properties.

council tax was designed to have higher value properties paying less that was its poinrt, if they wanted them to pay more they could have tweaked the rating system.

38 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

yes, we need more houses. Torsten Bell has tweeted about this, saying stamp duty is actually a crap tax, but just scrapping like this will lead to more people being priced out of housing market. He reckons stamp duty should be replaced by a reformed council tax that gets more money from higher value properties.

Tbh I don’t know a huge amount about it but I did benefit from the lack of stamp duty when I brought my flat. The council tax idea sounds interesting?

3 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Tbh I don’t know a huge amount about it but I did benefit from the lack of stamp duty when I brought my flat. The council tax idea sounds interesting?

it will help move-on the market blockers of oldies in big houses.

7 minutes ago, Neil said:

it will help move-on the market blockers of oldies in big houses.

I see but is that the actual issue though? I suppose if demand is the problem then those people would potentially be blocking the chain. Isn’t nimbyism also a big part of it?

10 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Energy bill support for businesses being announced...

Good to see businesses getting the support they desperately need.

No word on the cost yet or how it’ll be paid for. 

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

I see but is that the actual issue though? I suppose if demand is the problem then those people would potentially be blocking the chain. Isn’t nimbyism also a big part of it?

It's part of the issue there needs to be movement in all parts of the housing stock 

3 hours ago, Ozanne said:

Truss doesn’t really have a clue. 

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

Tbh I don’t know a huge amount about it but I did benefit from the lack of stamp duty when I brought my flat. 

So you've just said she doesn't have a clue and then followed it up by saying you don't know a huge amount about it lol

25 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Just seen a headline that energy bills will be halved. 

I’m assuming that’s the predicted bills that will be getting halved so still paying double what we were paying previously. 

I’m not sure. On the face of it the policy sounds good but without Parliamentary scrutiny I fear there are some less good things buried deep down. 

10 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

It will get parliamentary scrutiny but I think will be delayed because of recess...which means payments delayed.

Those payments get backdated to Oct 1st tbf.