news & politics:discussion

zahidf

52 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

The Tories really don’t want to be the ones in power when it comes to fixing the mess they’ve caused. 

the tories are screwing up more than just their policies, they're also screwing their reputation, and the attack angles they use against labour, gonna be harder for them to win elections going forwards.

35 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Elections in Italy on Sunday...another far right win in a country using PR?

Given the last Italian election produced a government featuring a different far right party that collapsed after a year and a half, wouldn't be a huge shock. Sweden's felt more of a surprise imo.

49 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

maybe not...have to see what happens after conferences which this year are key for both leaders.

I doubt it. I reckon 99% of the electorate couldn't give a flying fuck about party conferences - unless one of the leaders has a disaster speech that stays in the news for weeks!

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

maybe not...have to see what happens after conferences which this year are key for both leaders.

The average Joe Public takes no notice of conferences in my opinion … they aren’t going to announce anything to change minds … the shit has well and truely set in and we are going to have to face up to next 2 years if they aren’t kicked out before that . I’ll eat my hat if starmer doesn’t win with a majority people are bloody fed up ⬆️ didn’t see post above 

Edited by Crazyfool01

19 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

I doubt it. I reckon 99% of the electorate couldn't give a flying fuck about party conferences - unless one of the leaders has a disaster speech that stays in the news for weeks!

yeah...maybe...but what they say will get on the news...sets the tone..If Starmer is making a speech and there are people shouting traitor w*nker at him, that will be the story, and people will just think divided labour, whereas if he can look like the adult in the room, someone who people can trust, then this could set in store his chances for the next GE...if Truss goes all Thatcher and is applauded to the rafters by the tory faithful..that will be the story...but will divisions come to the fore....and these sort of things effect polling...but at same time we're still 2 years away from an election so maybe still all academic.

Anyway. Strictly.

10 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

The average Joe Public takes no notice of conferences in my opinion … they aren’t going to announce anything to change minds … the shit has well and truely set in and we are going to have to face up to next 2 years if they aren’t kicked out before that . I’ll eat my hat if starmer doesn’t win with a majority people are bloody fed up ⬆️ didn’t see post above 

we'll see. I am not that confident Starmer will win, tories are in disarray at moment, but 2 years is a long time...and Starmer doesn't fill me with confidence and is not that popular...don't think the Sir thing actually helps. But...we'll see.

Labour won’t win a majority at the next election, it’s incredibly difficult even before the boundary changes. It would need the biggest swing in UK electoral history as it is.

I feel the likelier outcome is a Labour minority government. 

3 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Labour won’t win a majority at the next election, it’s incredibly difficult even before the boundary changes. It would need the biggest swing in UK electoral history as it is.

I feel the likelier outcome is a Labour minority government. 

I’d be concerned if they can’t with this shit show going on … they have plenty of ammunition now to pummel the Tories . Large majority or not …. The help is clearly going to a very small percentage of the population … we will see I guess but there’s incredible unhappiness out there .. translating into Labour leads in the polls you post either you trust those or you don’t ? 

22 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

I’d be concerned if they can’t with this shit show going on … they have plenty of ammunition now to pummel the Tories . Large majority or not …. The help is clearly going to a very small percentage of the population … we will see I guess but there’s incredible unhappiness out there .. translating into Labour leads in the polls you post either you trust those or you don’t ? 

Most of the polls show Labour falling a few seats short of a majority which backs up my point about the likeliest outcome being a Labour minority government.

It’s incredibly difficult for Labour to get a majority at the next election due to level of swing needed. 

18 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Anyway, none of us know. I read somewhere that labour would need maybe a 10% poll lead just to win a majority of 1 seat.

Exactly. In an election campaign the polls would likely narrow and it’s just too much of an ask to be likely.