news & politics:discussion

zahidf

45 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

You really can’t make this stuff up. 

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/sep/24/liz-truss-plans-to-loosen-immigration-rules-to-boost-uk-economy

Can’t wait to see the reaction from the masses. 

they/brexiters would argue it's the control of immigration that is the important thing I guess.

Read some interesting theories that this is just the final smash and grab by the Tories - give as much public money away as possible to their rich mates as they know they are not going to win the next election and in the process guarantee themselves cushty consultancy jobs after they are kicked out of office. That does not seem beyond the realms of possibility given the level of corruption from the Tories over the last few years, but just a disgrace that we have to swallow the consequences in the meantime until they are removed!

27 minutes ago, hodgey123 said:

Read some interesting theories that this is just the final smash and grab by the Tories - give as much public money away as possible to their rich mates as they know they are not going to win the next election and in the process guarantee themselves cushty consultancy jobs after they are kicked out of office. That does not seem beyond the realms of possibility given the level of corruption from the Tories over the last few years, but just a disgrace that we have to swallow the consequences in the meantime until they are removed!

Seems like that to me … hopefully they don’t do another 2 years worth of damage in the meantime 

1 hour ago, hodgey123 said:

I don't know...I think Kwarteng and Truss genuinely believe this shit...Britannia Unchained and all that...but problem is they have certain spending commitments so if they win next election then spending cuts may come. This (mini) budget is a  massive political and economic gamble...politically it could pay off if (big IF) inflation comes down, recession is not too deep and long, and economy starts to grow by next election, and then they will be low tax party, will labour want to raise taxes?

What really pisses me off is the gamble they are taking with the economy though, if this doesn't produce the required growth like many economists believe, then future generations are going to be burdened with this huge debt..they are gambling with the future of this country with their groovy little experiment...

..but then again might work and we can all bow down to Truss forever more.

55 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Roger Waters gigs in Poland cancelled amid Ukraine backlash

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-63026101

He's made some great music and I respect him for that, but I cannot get my head around his thinking here.

If his rhetoric is indistinguishable to that coming from the Kremlin, is he anything other than a Putin apologist?

Wouldn't surprise me if there are more cancellations, and as this is his last tour, it is a bit of a sad ending to his career. On the other hand, I'd still like to hear Comfortably Numb live again...

5 hours ago, steviewevie said:

I don't know...I think Kwarteng and Truss genuinely believe this shit...Britannia Unchained and all that...but problem is they have certain spending commitments so if they win next election then spending cuts may come. This (mini) budget is a  massive political and economic gamble...politically it could pay off if (big IF) inflation comes down, recession is not too deep and long, and economy starts to grow by next election, and then they will be low tax party, will labour want to raise taxes?

What really pisses me off is the gamble they are taking with the economy though, if this doesn't produce the required growth like many economists believe, then future generations are going to be burdened with this huge debt..they are gambling with the future of this country with their groovy little experiment...

..but then again might work and we can all bow down to Truss forever more.

I agree with a lot of this but in terms of the gamble, think this is in line with what I said: the Tories know they are done for so their 'gamble' will load the country with debt, meaning that the next Labour government will need to enact unpopular measures to rein it in a bit or control it which then in turn play into the Tories hands for the following election. Maybe I am too cynical or just bruised from the last 12 years.

1 hour ago, hodgey123 said:

I agree with a lot of this but in terms of the gamble, think this is in line with what I said: the Tories know they are done for so their 'gamble' will load the country with debt, meaning that the next Labour government will need to enact unpopular measures to rein it in a bit or control it which then in turn play into the Tories hands for the following election. Maybe I am too cynical or just bruised from the last 12 years.

Maybe some are thinking like this...but Truss has had ambitions to be PM for ages, surely she wouldn't want to throw it all away by just fucking everything up on purpose. Surely?!

From what I’ve seen so far from Conference there’s been a few really good policies that have been announced such as the green proposals. Hopefully the people that used to claim Labour had no policies are happier. 

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

If the Pound had crashed like this under a Labour government it would be all over the front pages of the newspapers.

BFBA098B-51C5-44BB-9A78-87FC01B96DE1.thumb.jpeg.9c382222261bdcdfb50152a74dd7bc15.jpeg

This is the main story on daily mail online now so looks like they are. The Asian markets didn’t open until around 2/3 am in the morning so would have happened after last editions had gone to print, hence why it’s not on the physical paper’s front pages.

Saying things like the pound was ‘absolutely hammered’ in the sub headline should be music to Labours ears given this is coming from the Mail.

Edited by tigger123

Just now, tigger123 said:

BFBA098B-51C5-44BB-9A78-87FC01B96DE1.thumb.jpeg.9c382222261bdcdfb50152a74dd7bc15.jpeg

This is the main story on daily mail online now so looks like they are. The Asian markets didn’t open until around 2/3 am in the morning so would have happened after last editions had gone to print, hence why it’s not on the physical paper’s front pages.

Saying things like the pound was ‘absolutely hammered’ in the sun headline should be music to Labours ears given this is coming from the Mail.

That is barely anything, if this was happening under a Labour there’d be all sorts of outlandish headlines, slurs on the Labour PM and headline about Labour wrecking the economy. This is a light touch from the media for the Tories.