news & politics:discussion

zahidf

It's not going to wash though is it. Health/social care already pretty broken, education openly suffering now too. The widening gap between public and private sector pay will make recruitment to the public sector even harder where because of previous year on year cuts has left depts at threadbare staffing levels.

If I'm to be cynical, then it's creating the perfect opportunity for Truss to throw her hands up in the air with a faux "what else can we do..." and spend the next two years on a mission to privatise what's left of the public sector. The similarities with what happened in greece is feeling closer...I suppose we could learn from them by starting to sell off some of our islands to the highest bidder, the Isle of Wight would raise a nice sum to keep the lights on for another year or two.

7 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

almost above zero on 3 of them.

The only score that'll matter are the votes in a ge where he'll score much better than the Last clown. 

A general election right now would be an appalling idea, the last thing we need is another couple of months of no govt. Effectively we've had bugger all govt this year at all. The first six months were dominated by that idiot Johnson and his operation save big dog, then paralysis with a leadership campaign, then the royal death hysteria, then the Kwasi & Truss incompetency show, then conference season FFS. It's no wonder the IMF think we're a joke of a nation.

What we need is a cross party govt of unity to stabilise the country and get through the winter as best we can without breaking everything beyond repair. No idea how it works in practice as I wasn't around the last time we had one, but if ever there was a time for politicians to ditch all this ideological grandstanding and just get back to work it's now.

We don’t have a period of no government in this country. If an election is called then the government is still running the country at the same time as campaigning then if that Party loses the election there is a seamless transfer of power which is nearly instantaneous to the new governing Party. The civil service underpins all of this to ensure continuity of government.

7 hours ago, Kurosagi said:

A general election right now would be an appalling idea, the last thing we need is another couple of months of no govt. Effectively we've had bugger all govt this year at all. The first six months were dominated by that idiot Johnson and his operation save big dog, then paralysis with a leadership campaign, then the royal death hysteria, then the Kwasi & Truss incompetency show, then conference season FFS. It's no wonder the IMF think we're a joke of a nation.

What we need is a cross party govt of unity to stabilise the country and get through the winter as best we can without breaking everything beyond repair. No idea how it works in practice as I wasn't around the last time we had one, but if ever there was a time for politicians to ditch all this ideological grandstanding and just get back to work it's now.

I think we're better off with no government, they keep making things worse.

Just now, steviewevie said:

Just listened to Rees-Mogg being a twat on R4. He said that interviewer's suggestion that current economic chaos is due to mini budget broke BBC's impartiality.

i just heard that and came to post about him denying that the mini budget spooked the markets.