news & politics:discussion

zahidf

Johnson was a dodgy twat, bullshitter,  lacked integrity, should never have been PM...but I would take him over Truss, and even over Sunak too. At least he understood that the country needed redistribution, and he did seem to take net zero more seriously, and politically he understood that the new brexit coalition that voted tory in 2019 could be temporary if they weren't careful. Many disagreed with the NI rise, and I think it should have been income tax, but it was a tax to pay for NHS and hopefully social care, may not be enough...but it was a move in the right direction imo. In the end this was too unpopular in his own party which is why we saw all the promises of tax cuts over the summer...and now this...

Edited by steviewevie

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

So how long till Truss phones Zelensky again?

she'd need ben Wallace for that call, but she knows if she lets him into no10, he isn't leaving first.

At least the support for energy bills is still in place but the optics of a u turn on it is a disaster.

It proves that Starmer was right all along and his plan was the right way to go. 

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

They still not doing the windfall tax thing?

It doesn’t seem so, last bit of news was that might be against renewable energy firms only. I’m sure the stans for Shell and BP will be happy. 

Just now, steviewevie said:

Wasn't Labour's enegy cap only till next April?

Yeah, they were going to wait till the new year to gauge the energy market and review the measures. The Tories have basically reverted to his plan minus the windfall tax. He’s been proven right again.