news & politics:discussion

zahidf

Taxing private schools is clearly a vote winner, just look at polling for that. It’s hardly going to drive people away. No one arguing in good faith will say otherwise. 

2 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Well I posted the facts of what average looks like above...  You clearly think its something else..  Something from the land of fantasy?

I was just saying you're out of touch, you do tend to ramble on in a pretty miserable kind of way - that's all 🙂

4 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Again, it sounds like you are asking me why I don't just think like you and the other people around you 🙂 

There is a big world outside your narrow windows 😄 

I guess you're kind of right there - the phrase "out of touch" necessarily implies a comparison to what other people are thinking. It seems like you're happy enough to accept that you are, which is very big of you 🙂

1 minute ago, Barry Fish said:

@cellar  I mean have you even bothered to read enough to realise I said I would back private schools paying VAT 🙂. or are you too fucking stupid for that  before dishing out the abuse ? 🙂 

Aww, don't get nasty 😂 I was just starting to like you 🙂

2 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Not really getting nasty - just a statement of facts based on the current exchange we are having 🙂 

You should like me.  I offer an appointment rather than a twitter feed or dogma.  We used to call it having a discussion once upon a time 😄 

Calling me "fucking stupid" isn't nasty? 😂 Maybe you should have sent your kids to private school

1 minute ago, cellar said:

Let's bring the conversation back to the important points - do you think it's right that people can pay for higher levels of education?

it's not just higher levels of education...it is other opportunities you seem to be able to get, in all walks of life. Just bin the whole thing...and I know you will still get catchment areas around supposedly good state schools, and private tutoring etc etc blah blah..but if you really want to do something about the massive inequalities and class divisions in this country surely getting rid of private schools is a start.

Well we pay to go to University.  I paid to go to night school once upon a time.  I paid for extra tutoring for my kid when they struggled.  I paid for training related to my job.  Nothing wrong with the principle of paying to be educated.  In the end we all pay via taxes.  Well not @Ozanne - likes to live of benefits 😛 

Are you happy that you paid for those things? Don't you think society as a whole would be better if all forms of education were free? It would certainly help to reduce the wealth gap.

Yes but in this case its being out of touch with the efestivals mafia 🙂   which often gets confused with being out of touch with the whole country.  Which most efestival users often are 🙂 

I guess that's your own issue. I can understand that you probably feel hard done by posting on this forum, but you still choose to do so, so you have to accept responsibility for what you post

Just now, Rufus Gwertigan said:

Many private schools offer means testing and bursaries based on attainment. In some areas it is the main option for some to increase their kids expectations.

that argument doesn't stack up, what about kids who don't have those opportunities?...Just bin them. Burn them to the ground.

Didn't Boris Johnson get into Eton through some scholarship type thing, and we need fewer c**ts like him.

Sadly as we saw during covid when we created the biggest educational disparity this country has ever seen some parents did over compensate thinking extra tuition was needed and others well their children got no education for 18 months.

5 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

it's not just higher levels of education...it is other opportunities you seem to be able to get, in all walks of life. Just bin the whole thing...and I know you will still get catchment areas around supposedly good state schools, and private tutoring etc etc blah blah..but if you really want to do something about the massive inequalities and class divisions in this country surely getting rid of private schools is a start.

Absolutely agree with this. Education was my favourite area of study when I was younger - particularly the impacts of cultural deprivation. I don't think there have been any really good educational reforms since 1942

6 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

You could take it as an education to read posts properly.  Free education is something you want isn't it 🙂.  you can have that one for free 😄 

Let me know if you're free for tutoring when I eventually have kids 😉

6 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Yes I am happy i paid for all these things.  They all had the expected benefits.

There is a vast amount of education provided on the public purses.  And with the internet there is countless opportunities for fee free education and learning.

I thought the implication of the question was clear - wouldn't it be better if those things were free? You reference the Internet... Why not tell your kids to use the Internet instead of paying for their education? 

7 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

?  I think you are confused 🙂

Do you think efestivals represents normal political thinking in the UK ? 

Before answering - think about how long the Tories have been in power 🙂 

I think I'm more confused after reading your posts, yes 😂

What a strange question to ask - Do you expect a genuine response? You are reaffirming my view that you are very out of touch with every post you make, you know 🙂

1 minute ago, Barry Fish said:

Would it be better ?   Well who is going to pay for it and what don't we pay for we can get it ? 

Its easy to say wouldn't it be lovely if everything was "free"...  But the reality is nothing is free...  

The kids use the internet and I bought in some extra help.  Im not against doing that.  

I think the concept of free education is absolutely a good idea. The practicalities of it are much trickier, I accept. But I was just asking if you agree with it in principle - ultimately asking, do you believe that rich people should be able to pay for their children to better educated than poor people?

I'm not sure if you knew that and are just dancing around the answer, or if you're being deliberately obtuse to avoid accepting the answer.