news & politics:discussion

zahidf

7 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

that argument doesn't stack up, what about kids who don't have those opportunities?...Just bin them. Burn them to the ground.

Didn't Boris Johnson get into Eton through some scholarship type thing, and we need fewer c**ts like him.

Let's be real. We live in a society where people live with a poverty of expectation and that shows in the school system. It is shit. Many of the estates I have lived people see education as a waste of time. That shows in the schools. Let's be honest some areas are really shut. At the moment for some public schools are a necessary evil.  Not all charge silly fees. When I was a nurse I worked with a woman who pulled in 2 extra nights to pay fees. 

I was extremely privileged with my education not public but based on intelligence and very selective.

6 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

@cellar - geniune question - who are you really ?  is this another @steviewevie or @Ozannesock puppet account or is it someone else 🙂

You only created this account to talk here - come on - come out the closet 😄 

With a massive 91 posts - all done here - its clear you are someone else 😛 

😂😂

You were one of the reasons I started posting here! I'm hurt that you would think otherwise 😂

Actually I'm not, I love that you would say something like that - I must be getting under your skin 😘

Meet you at Glasto next year? x

6 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

I don't accept the way you word the question...    

do you believe that rich people should be able to pay for their children to better educated than poor people?

You don't have to be rich to pay for educational resources.  

I think if people want to spend their money on education instead of holidays - I don't have a problem with that - as an example...

Some people don't have that choice - just because you did, doesn't mean we shouldn't debate the merits of it

2 minutes ago, Rufus Gwertigan said:

Let's be real. We live in a society where people live with a poverty of expectation and that shows in the school system. It is shit. Many of the estates I have lived people see education as a waste of time. That shows in the schools. Let's be honest some areas are really shut. At the moment for some public schools are a necessary evil.  Not all charge silly fees. When I was a nurse I worked with a woman who pulled in 2 extra nights to pay fees. 

I was extremely privileged with my education not public but based on intelligence and very selective.

Yes, some areas are shit...but that isn't going to be fixed by rich people getting a better education and privilege for their kids, and a few from shit area being allowed in as some sort of charity. And maybe I am not being real, that's the way it is, deal with it, just work a bit harder and you may get a chance haha etc etc...but inequality is getting worse and worse in this country, for a so called developed country we're pretty fucking backwards really.

1 minute ago, Barry Fish said:

I don't accept the way you word the question...    

do you believe that rich people should be able to pay for their children to better educated than poor people?

You don't have to be rich to pay for educational resources.  

I think if people want to spend their money on education instead of holidays - I don't have a problem with that - as an example...

But it's wider than just education, isn't it?  There's private education, private healthcare, private cars (vs public transport), private housing, all the way through to speedy boarding, VIP festival tickets, etc.

If you are rich, you can afford to do many/all of those things.  But many middle earners will pay for some at the expense of other.  It's people choosing how to spend their cash.  

2 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

We can debate the merits for sure but if you asked if I had a problem with the principle of people paying for education.  I don't...

Lots of people can't afford many things...   Not everyone can have everything....  

I believe the state offers are very good solid bedrock of education. 

Fair enough - I think the state education system needs some work. We could be in a much better position than we are.

Anyway - I think I'm done with this back and forth. Nice chatting, I hope I didn't come across too bad. I definitely took some personal frustrations out here, and that's not right

8 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

...and I should add I am not against anyone on here who went to private school or send their kids to private school, you do what you got to do...but the system is wrong.

Yeah I agree.

I dunno why anyway wouldn't want private schools to pay VAT?

10 minutes ago, gary1979666 said:

But it's wider than just education, isn't it?  There's private education, private healthcare, private cars (vs public transport), private housing, all the way through to speedy boarding, VIP festival tickets, etc.

If you are rich, you can afford to do many/all of those things.  But many middle earners will pay for some at the expense of other.  It's people choosing how to spend their cash.  

and sure people with money will buy things others can't afford...but don't think they should be able to buy their kids a better education...just beds in inequality.

48 minutes ago, cellar said:

Let's bring the conversation back to the important points - do you think it's right that people can pay for higher levels of education?

People already do pay for higher levels of education due to the increased costs of housing in catchment area of good schools.

While I support VAT on private schools, it's important not to generalize the types of parents/children who go there.  My friends kid is very intelligent but has behavioral difficulties. During lockdown he did much better due to reduced class sizes. His parents are average earners and have funded it through sacraficing other things they used to do. I also know a child who moved mid term, state schools in area all full up and could only get in the private school.

1 minute ago, pink_triangle said:

People already do pay for higher levels of education due to the increased costs of housing in catchment area of good schools.

While I support VAT on private schools, it's important not to generalize the types of parents/children who go there.  My friends kid is very intelligent but has behavioral difficulties. During lockdown he did much better due to reduced class sizes. His parents are average earners and have funded it through sacraficing other things they used to do. I also know a child who moved mid term, state schools in area all full up and could only get in the private school.

I'm sure most kids would do better with reduced class sizes. 

Still wrong.

1 minute ago, Barry Fish said:

Yup...  Starmers policy can only make the competition for state schools worse.  We moved house and paid a hefty some to get our kids in a good local primary and secondary.  It was that or private school.  Buying the bigger and more expensive house was a better long term investment for both the kids and us we felt.

The idea the poor every win is for the birds.  They will always be the but end.

I grew up with nothing on a council estate.  I didn't moan - I just worked hard and go on with it.   Thats all you can do.

While Private Schools goes against everything I believe in. If abolishing them resulted in house prices around the best schools soaring further. While it may make us feel good, ultimately it doesn't help the kids with parents who can't afford to buy the houses. Unfortunately I am not clever enough to know the answer.

10 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

My question was more fundamental than what is or isn't in place. I know that education is already paid for in various ways - I disagree with this in principle 

13 minutes ago, lost said:

I've images of parents meeting tutors in darkened alleys in shady parts of town after its banned 😂 Hey mate wanna buy some extra education?

already happens, the best educated kids have loads of extra tuition.

1 minute ago, Neil said:

the best educated kids have loads of extra tuition.

not entirely true, my kid has two degrees but never had private tuition, perhaps having a professor for a mother helped. 🙂 

8 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

While Private Schools goes against everything I believe in. If abolishing them resulted in house prices around the best schools soaring further. While it may make us feel good, ultimately it doesn't help the kids with parents who can't afford to buy the houses. Unfortunately I am not clever enough to know the answer.

they buy an expensive house and then their little darling's school gets a satisfactory from ofsted and their house price plumets.

It's possible that @Barry Fish is right that removing tax breaks for private education is not a vote winner and that the tax breaks should be removed - the two aren't mutually exclusive. This policy is not going to sway a Tory voter to vote for Labour and therefore cannot be considered a vote winner - those polled that agree with it would very likely vote Labour anyway.