news & politics:discussion

zahidf

Just now, Barry Fish said:

Its almost like parents make a big difference... 😛    Some people need to look closer to home for why things are not going great for them instead of blaming everyone else.

the smart father probably helped too.

Just now, Ozanne said:

Is there any evidence or data anywhere that shows abolishing private schools would add to inequality?

would reduce inequality, doesn't take a genius to know that it would.

7 minutes ago, Neil said:

would reduce inequality, doesn't take a genius to know that it would.

Yes, anyone can see that but it's been mentioned here that it wouldn't be a good thing for equality so I'm wondering if there is any data or evidence for those claims?

Edited by Ozanne

11 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

I don't believe it does...  Get rid of private schools and people would just educate them in another way...  the advantage would remain one way or another.    So I don't think so...

your question was about "INEQUALITY", NOT EDUCATION, and the inequalities between a state school and a private can be easily observed.

might do a PHD one day 

how many people do you know with a PhD they don't give those to stupids.

Simple logic in a complex world never really stacks up.

it does if you're smart enough to understand it, and you've just demonstrated that you don't.

According to google only Cuba and North Korea don't have some form of private education. Doesn't appear to be a great advert. I'm guessing party officials have their kids at some Swiss boarding school.

2 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

Well average UK salary is £38,131 and most families have two parents earning.  This makes private school a choice for a lot of average families.  Obviously - you have to make sacrifices.

So it looks like my understanding of "normal" goes beyond the end of my nose unlike you.

Try looking at the median salary so it's not distorted by a few very high ones.

2 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

The inequality doesn't come from the "school" it comes from the system around the school. 

the inequality comes from the differences in resources (literally 'inequalities') available to each school.

2 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Exactly - those resources won't be going away when the school goes away - join the dots

the resources won't be as great when a chunk has to be given to the govt in tax?

Edited by Neil

2 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Anyone with any evidence yet that abolishing private schools would add to inequality? Surely people can't make those claims without any evidence behind it?

you can't even phrase a sensible question.

the evidence is in the observable inequalities between each school type.

1 minute ago, Neil said:

you can't even phrase a sensible question.

the evidence is in the observable inequalities between each school type.

To clarify, I think private schools add to inequality, they should be charged tax and reformed at the very least.

A couple of others made the claim earlier that abolishing them would add to inequality, I'm asking for any evidence to support that claim.

41 minutes ago, lost said:

According to google only Cuba and North Korea don't have some form of private education. Doesn't appear to be a great advert. I'm guessing party officials have their kids at some Swiss boarding school.

I’ve got a friend who works as a house mistress in a Yorkshire boarding school. She says the majority of her school kids that she looks after are from rich overseas families. 

8 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

I’ve got a friend who works as a house mistress in a Yorkshire boarding school. She says the majority of her school kids that she looks after are from rich overseas families. 

Yeah. Same with the number of visas going to students. One of the last things this country actually has going for it is for some reason other countries rate some of our schools and universities.

I went to oxford poly and I think about 70% of students there had been to private/public schools...I think they wanted to go to oxford but weren't clever enough for the proper uni...anyway, I had some very posh but actually very nice friends there...totally changed my perception of posh people really...and they were very experienced with drug taking.

1 hour ago, pink_triangle said:

Not from my experience. They just get rid of the head teacher and the house prices stay high.

their super head has already left for a shit school in a shit area and they're now left to wallow as their poor darlings suffer in hellschool....it's called levelling up...

Just send your kids to the local. That's what we did. Turned out ok. It's not where you're from, it's where you're at. Stop being snots.

59 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

To clarify, I think private schools add to inequality, they should be charged tax and reformed at the very least.

A couple of others made the claim earlier that abolishing them would add to inequality, I'm asking for any evidence to support that claim.

Anyone at all?

There must be something to back up those claims.