news & politics:discussion

zahidf

19 hours ago, steviewevie said:

I kind of agree with some people who are saying why bother with the house of lords thing...I think we need an unelected second chamber, but a better one than we have now...more experts, less party political, no hereditary lords, more diverse etc etc. Better to change the electoral system maybe...

getting rid of the lords only works with wider electoral reform.

27 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Starmer saying that rejoining single market wouldn't lead to growth. So...he can say that, but I think most economists would disagree...but what it would lead to is more division, especially amongst the voter coalition that Labour needs to win power.

We wouldn’t be allowed back in the SM anyway, a decent size of the population is against it and we’d go back to be that reluctant partner again. The EU would want to see that we have changed before allowing us back in. So in the short term with all the negotiating it wouldn’t be possible.

Plus he has to say this otherwise the Tories and the media would jump on him claiming he wants to undo Brexit and as I showed yesterday there isn’t a majority that wants to go back yet. 

Edited by Ozanne

Starmer is coming across very well in this press conference, outlining the reasons , the ideas and the plan forward for constitutional reform. The plan going to public consultation is a good step and will show they are committed getting peoples input on these plans.

Starmer’s confidence has grown so much.

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

Starmer saying that rejoining single market wouldn't lead to growth. So...he can say that, but I think most economists would disagree...but what it would lead to is more division, especially amongst the voter coalition that Labour needs to win power.

don't take on a policy unless you know you can deliver it, steps back towards the EU will get a lot of opposition.

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

Indeed. Doing it in the first term is pretty ambitious. 

and there'll be lots of very organised resistance from all the people about to lose their easy money.

i'm cold and want to put on a hat and gloves, but can't  put on either with just one working arm and hand.

you'd think the hat would be easy but its a woolly hat that needs stretching over my head.

9 minutes ago, Neil said:

don't lawyers have to keep working to maintain their legal registration?

Yeah I think so, I imagine those professions will be covered too, it’s kind of alluded too in that tweet. 

6 minutes ago, Neil said:

i'm cold and want to put on a hat and gloves, but can't  put on either with just one working arm and hand.

you'd think the hat would be easy but its a woolly hat that needs stretching over my head.

Would recommend an electric throw, we got one and it keeps you very toasty and I believe it is very cheap to run compared to central heating

3 hours ago, Ozanne said:

We wouldn’t be allowed back in the SM anyway, a decent size of the population is against it and we’d go back to be that reluctant partner again. The EU would want to see that we have changed before allowing us back in. So in the short term with all the negotiating it wouldn’t be possible.

Plus he has to say this otherwise the Tories and the media would jump on him claiming he wants to undo Brexit and as I showed yesterday there isn’t a majority that wants to go back yet. 

Whilst 'playing the game' is sadly always going to be part of politics, giving politicians a pass for saying things that are untrue because their overarching politics are agreeable to us is a slippery slope.

An untruth about the economic consequences of Brexit is an untruth. Doesn't matter if it comes out of Kier Starmer or Boris John's mouth.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Justiceforcedave said:

Whilst 'playing the game' is sadly always going to be part of politics, giving politicians a pass for saying things that are untrue because their overarching politics are agreeable to us is a slippery slope.

An untruth about the economic consequences of Brexit is an untruth. Doesn't matter if it comes out of Kier Starmer or Boris John's mouth.

it isn't necessarily untrue though?

2 hours ago, fraybentos1 said:

HoL reform is all well and good but they are still avoiding the main issue which is PR in general elections. Same as usual, Labour will flirt with it then they think theyll win a majority then it will be thrown away

they've said elected hol, which i reckon will be done by PR, and then lose us the chance of PR for general elections.