news & politics:discussion

zahidf

2 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Apparently the coal is needed for the steel industry. 

Makes a lot of sense as it’s the carbon in the steel which gives it it’s strength and flexibility. 

Have to wonder if theres greener methods of producing carbon. 

I would imagine it’s more about money going to Tory donors than anything they say about steel. 

1 minute ago, squirrelarmy said:

Apparently the coal is needed for the steel industry. 

Makes a lot of sense as it’s the carbon in the steel which gives it it’s strength and flexibility. 

Have to wonder if theres greener methods of producing carbon. 

that is the argument they're giving...although some are saying most would be exported. I think there are lower carbon steel making techniques starting to be used...

5 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

that is the argument they're giving...although some are saying most would be exported.

Yes to Europe replacing Russian coal plus probably front running any similar situation with Chinese steel and Taiwan. There is definitely a movement to secure supply lines between friendly countries.

Edited by lost

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

got to be a better way than more coal.

googled it.. apparently not?

Can you make steel without coking coal?

Coking coal is usually bituminous-rank coal with special qualities that are needed in the blast furnace. While an increasing amount of steel is being recycled, there is currently no technology to make steel at scale without using coal.

off the top of my head...

At least two UK steel-makers have ruled out using coal from the Cumbrian mine, and steel-makers across Europe are increasingly turning to low-carbon steel-making techniques, such as electric arc furnaces with energy from windfarms and other renewable sources.

That means the market for such coal is likely to be limited. The coal is also expected to be high in sulphur and therefore liable to be rejected even by steel-makers still using coal.

About 83% of the coal produced from the mine would be for export, according to estimates, which would add to global greenhouse gas emissions.

The coalmine would increase emissions by about 400,000 tonnes of carbon dioxide a year, or the equivalent of 200,000 cars on the road.

The UK is legally committed to cutting greenhouse gas emissions to net zero – the point at which any remaining emissions are balanced out by the amount of carbon absorbed by the UK’s trees and soils – by 2050.

The mine could be scheduled to shut down by 2049, and therefore still fall technically within the net zero goal.

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

The coal is also expected to be high in sulphur and therefore liable to be rejected even by steel-makers still using coal.

So someone's saying its coking coke and someone else is saying is isn't and is normal burning coal? Need to send a geologist in to settle the argument.

9 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

It is coking coal, but British steel companies are saying it's shite coking coal.

Yes I've now noticed the twitter argument where everyone appears to be an expert in the composition of Cumbrian coal.

9 hours ago, Ozanne said:

Of course there’s money to go around, we aren’t running out of it. That’s a myth put around by the Tories to explain to the masses by they shrink the state.

If we hadn’t had falling real term wages for the past 12 years then we might be able to accept pressure on wages now but many haven’t had a decent pay rise so are now demanding one.

Instead of saying people should essentially accept being poorer we should be demanding the government properly fund these public services so we can support people more in these difficult times. If we are saying that people can’t have pay rises because those services aren’t funded properly then it’s the fault of the government that provide that funding not the workers.

There is the argument for public sector workers to get proper pay rises and we should support those people to get it. 

All the Govt needs to do is restore the funding cut from local authoritiessince2010

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

This is where the whole net zero thing is open to interpretation and dodge.

Net zero isn’t really open to interpretation for a government that is genuinely going for net zero. I don’t believe that the Tories are.

2 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

The rate this is happening the independents will be the majority before long, maybe this is Corbyns best plan to become PM!

They are already larger than the Lib Dems!