news & politics:discussion

zahidf

Just now, mattiloy said:

Please provide a source for your claim that the BMA does not want more doctors trained.

they're a trade union, and part of what they do is maintain pay and conditions via limiting the number of new doctors, standard union stuff (same happens with legal profession).

4 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Please provide a source for your claim that the BMA does not want more doctors trained.

from https://www.bma.org.uk/what-we-do

The BMA represents, supports and negotiates on behalf of all UK doctors and medical students. We are member-run and led, fighting for the best terms and conditions as well as lobbying and campaigning on the issues impacting the medical profession.

what i actually said, was this, and not that they don't want any doctors trained.
14 hours ago, Neil said:

who are against too many doctors being trained up in case it negatively affects doctors pay. 

8 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

i didn't claim that, which such a loose grasp of the facts i doubt  sources are useful to you.

48 minutes ago, lost said:

Eh? what do think what a mess means. They've made a massive fuck up. Hopefully labour will invest in more reliable forms of energy.

You’re trying to shift the blame onto renewables rather than it being 12 years of policy error from the Tories partly because from reason you don’t see climate change being an issue it seems. 

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

where in that does it say anything about them not wanting more doctors trained?

they aim to limit the numbers trained up, as a way to maintain pay and conditions, supply & demand!

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

where in that does it say anything about them not wanting more doctors trained?

I mean...you're kind of getting this from what Streeting said, right?

do you understand what unions are for, and how the achieve their aims??

2 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I don’t think the BMA want that, don’t believe the Telegraph’s headline mate. 

i've not seen a telegraph headline or what streeting has said, i just pay attention to what the bma do over many decades.

3 hours ago, Neil said:

they're a trade union, and part of what they do is maintain pay and conditions via limiting the number of new doctors, standard union stuff (same happens with legal profession).

One of the reasons the BMA and legal profession do this is to maintain standards. 

That's not saying they're right to, but it is one of the reasons.

1 hour ago, Neil said:

if i ever get it, not had my heating bills support payments yet.

You should get extra support considering all you’ve been through and the costs associated with it. I hope you get that extra payment soon!

6 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Tbf the RCN have also said there would have to be give and take from both sides which shows that they acknowledge their initial pay demands will come down. 

17 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

yeah...compromise will come out of negotiations....they just need to negotiate.

They have gone with the tactic of your initial request is high then they’ll settle somewhere in the middle which is probably what they wanted anyway.

But if the government won’t even negotiate then no progress can be made.