news & politics:discussion

zahidf

4 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

Our generation was thought to be the last that would earn more than our parents and by and large its becoming true - in fact its worse when you factor in the lack of pension coverage.  And this was thought to be the case long before brexit, covid, the ukraine war etc...

My dad retired in 2005 with the gold plated NHS pension. There is no doubt that our generation wont do as well as his.

I work in the NHS and wouldn't want to be a GP. You can earn well as a doctor in other fields for a fraction of the stress that comes with being a GP.

My view is that we need to increase supply of GPs but also reduce the demand. For all the talk about packed surgeries. Many people in the last were clogging up surgeries with issues that could be dealt with by the pharmacy. We have had a culture that anyone should be able to see a GP when they want and I think that is wrong.

As for online, phone or face to face I think all have their benefits.I would happily use all 3 in different situations. I would also happily move to a system where phone or remote stuff could be done by a GP anywhere in the country. Freeing up other GPs for the people who need the continuity.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

Oh I follow now...  You are calling me a karen because I dared complain about the utter shit service I am getting.   

Well I didn't repeatedly complain.  We wrote one letter of complaint after years of hoping it would get better.

So what is your point?   I was kind of hopeful that by taking the time to complain and meet them some actual change might occur.   Are you suggesting the practice manager lied to me ?  She showed me the fucking rota lol.

If that's the case, then the practice manager spends more time worrying about managing complaints than managing improvements.

1 hour ago, pink_triangle said:

I work in the NHS and wouldn't want to be a GP. You can earn well as a doctor in other fields for a fraction of the stress that comes with being a GP.

My view is that we need to increase supply of GPs but also reduce the demand. For all the talk about packed surgeries. Many people in the last were clogging up surgeries with issues that could be dealt with by the pharmacy. We have had a culture that anyone should be able to see a GP when they want and I think that is wrong.

As for online, phone or face to face I think all have their benefits.I would happily use all 3 in different situations. I would also happily move to a system where phone or remote stuff could be done by a GP anywhere in the country. Freeing up other GPs for the people who need the continuity.

I don't get the choice of consultation type, and find I get face to face for the wrong things 

27 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Its a loadsd statement.  The reality is they can't actually deal with most issues people seek the GP for.  Its a myth.  Most people use both services appropriately.  You are pedeling myths 

Barry I have a friend who are both GPs and community pharmacists. I also work in community health and speak to patients about how they access the GP. There are loads of people who use GP for skin issues, constipation and eye infections that can be dealt first line with pharmacy. I guess one issue is that over 60s have to pay if they go via pharmacy for stuff they can get for free via GP.

4 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

6 of my family members work in the NHS.  You haven't got some special access pass others haven't.

Tell your friend to get their arse back into the surgery and do their job.

1 of them has left to be a consultant in microbiology, a lot less stress for similar money.

Others are in surgery, but I hope you will accept there are times they need to leave to visit housebound poorly people.

1 hour ago, Crazyfool01 said:

cant you just move GP surgery ? 

Might be worth looking into. Doctors are shocking in bristol, but people in nearby rural Gloucestershire don't seem to have the same issues

13 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

It's all of the above?

I agree, and think I have something relevant to say about the NHS having given their facilities a good roadtest in the last year or so, been lucky to be ill in bristol as it has the leading after hospital after care which has now been integrated into the nsh. My poor mum in Hampshire has nothing similar 

1 minute ago, Neil said:

Might be worth looking into. Doctors are shocking in bristol, but people in nearby rural Gloucestershire don't seem to have the same issues

What I thought was a reasonable suggestion too but was ruled out as the other local surgery was also bad … no idea how that was known .. I know my surgery was ok last time I tried it but no idea how good or bad all the other ones are in town

5 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

What I thought was a reasonable suggestion too but was ruled out as the other local surgery was also bad … no idea how that was known .. I know my surgery was ok last time I tried it but no idea how good or bad all the other ones are in town

My wife is hearing how it is in different places from what work colleagues say. 

Overall I'm quite happy with my gp as I get things sorted fairly easily by asking my wife to sort it as she has the knack of getting the best out of it. For which I thank her. If I had to do it my health would be suffering cos I'd avoid it entirely. 

34 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

The govt wants us to think it's all the fault of GPs and unions and immigrants etc.

I definately remember the daily mail pushing the lazy GP message 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11252369/Struggling-GPs-pressure-refuse-patients-send-surgeries.html

very different from the guardian 

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2022/nov/20/gps-in-england-treat-up-to-three-times-more-patients-than-safety-limit-demands

Edited by Crazyfool01

17 minutes ago, Neil said:

Overall I'm quite happy with my gp as I get things sorted fairly easily by asking my wife to sort it as she has the knack of getting the best out of it. For which I thank her. If I had to do it my health would be suffering cos I'd avoid it entirely. 

There's a lot of people who don't go too their gp for things they should, and plenty who go for things they shouldn't. My GP is excellent when I get to speak to her (whether phone or in person), but the receptionists are abhorrent so I've still left a few minor chronic issues unreviewed in 3 years.

Mind you, the 60hr weeks haven't helped with bothering either.

11 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

There's a lot of people who don't go too their gp for things they should, and plenty who go for things they shouldn't. My GP is excellent when I get to speak to her (whether phone or in person), but the receptionists are abhorrent so I've still left a few minor chronic issues unreviewed in 3 years.

Mind you, the 60hr weeks haven't helped with bothering either.

Mistake I made, no long hours job is worth your health. 

All this excitement about fusion, its mostly bull stories suggest that workable fusion is just round the corner, but it's been that for the last fifty years with huge resources into research. 

1 hour ago, Neil said:

Definitely worth looking into. I had a shit GP in my London borough for years. Finally changed last year after the final straw and the one I have now is way, way better. 

31 minutes ago, Neil said:

All this excitement about fusion, its mostly bull stories suggest that workable fusion is just round the corner, but it's been that for the last fifty years with huge resources into research. 

Still cool that they achieved this.. implications some time in the future could be huge. I wonder if we'll accidentally blow up the universe.

38 minutes ago, Neil said:

I mean, I remember 20 years ago when fusion was 20 years away....

That said, this is a significant step, but it puts it at maybe 15 years away at best.