news & politics:discussion

zahidf

50 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

I mean, I remember 20 years ago when fusion was 20 years away....

That said, this is a significant step, but it puts it at maybe 15 years away at best.

A lot more than 15 away on speed of progress to date. There's still loads to overcome before there's anything usable. 

5 minutes ago, Neil said:

A lot more than 15 away on speed of progress to date. There's still loads to overcome before there's anything usable. 

Once it gets close, it'll accelerate (much like fusion). The thing is it's unknown how many more steps there'll be, as well as how long any breakthrough will take.

A big thing here, is that largely, improvements are now on efficiency/reliability/stability, which tends to be much quicker.

2 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

Once it gets close, it'll accelerate (much like fusion). The thing is it's unknown how many more steps there'll be, as well as how long any breakthrough will take.

A big thing here, is that largely, improvements are now on efficiency/reliability/stability, which tends to be much quicker.

Looks like there's a bit of a race on at the moment with different labs announcing progress. This was the yanks the uk research at Harwell is about shut down and transferred to the eu project in the south of France. Japan has a big project too, and they've all got and had huge resources for decades. There's no reason why they'd suddenly make fast progress. 

So...by next election...if inflation down and worst of recession is over...and there are improvements being seen with NHS waiting times....and somehow UK/French have got numbers of asylum seekers coming over on little boats down...could mean that Tories do better than currently polling...I really wouldn't write them off, they are very good at winning, and labour are very good at fighting amongst themselves....

(lots of ifs there though).

6 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

So...by next election...if inflation down and worst of recession is over...and there are improvements being seen with NHS waiting times....and somehow UK/French have got numbers of asylum seekers coming over on little boats down...could mean that Tories do better than currently polling...I really wouldn't write them off, they are very good at winning, and labour are very good at fighting amongst themselves....

labour need the tories to have fixed some of these issues then voters don't have to expect labour to have the answers.

29 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

They are dieing for much more complex reasons but do feel free to dumb it down to political point scoring.

The government have made it a political point to score.

They're convinced that this is a higher priority for them to address than the state of the NHS, schools and everything else. 

Second only to addressing the fuck up they made of the economy innit. 

1 minute ago, Barry Fish said:

Oh dear be careful...  mods are around every corner...

Its a serious point.  The poltical point scoring is pretty distasteful around all this.

We can't have a total open door policy and we need to enforce the border.  

im sure you know better Barry as always 

Just now, Barry Fish said:

Not really but I know enough to understand the problem is huge and to put it on the shoulders of one government minister is pretty dumb.  Do you think Labour are going to do anything different ? Honestly ? 

you behave as if you are the holder of all knowledge on this thread ... even belittling me and asking if I read the newspapers yesterday ... 

the whole issue of these boats and refugees/migrants is a european problem that needs cooperation between UK/EU to sort out. There isn't really a safe route for genuine asylum seekers at moment, which is why risking their lives. If these safe routes could somehow be made available, and at the same time the people running these boats are stopped, then maybe something can be done

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

...and the Home office is a big department covering loads of important national security shit...and we have Suella Braverman and her dreams of flights to Rwanda and sending official documents from her personal email as the minister in charge of it. 

my ex worked in the ho. mostly its to do with policing, and implementing law, courts, prisons, etc.

10 hours ago, steviewevie said:

As Neil said, Labour need some to be improving before they get in, so that it's not a total mess they're expected to fix everything of.

I think the question is how the squeeze is felt by swing voters. If people are tightening their belts a bit, they might still vote Tory, but if they're losing their 2nd car, not going on a holiday, and it starts affecting things like kids' after-school activities/diet, they won't be so forgiving.