news & politics:discussion

zahidf

13 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

Well the gyms where mostly open during covid - the only shut in lockdown 1 for any real length of time.  And that level 4 bollocks.

Gyms were shut for all three lockdowns. Source: I have a gym membership and mine was suspended during that time and I did all my classes from home.

I think they were shut from March to June/July 2020, November 2020, January to April 2021. And reopened with reduced numbers for classes in between.

Edit: until April not May 2021

Edited by Zoo Music Girl

Good speech by Starmer, he’s improved a fair bit with these but this one was a good mix of optimism, reality and new ideas. The ‘Take Back Control’ bill is a very smart idea and an excellent way to link Brexit with their plans for devolution. 

His style of public speaking I find infinitely better than Sunak’s.

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

Good speech by Starmer, he’s improved a fair bit with these but this one was a good mix of optimism, reality and new ideas. The ‘Take Back Control’ bill is a very smart idea and an excellent way to link Brexit with their plans for devolution. 

ngl, bit disappointed about the lack of ambition...but just have to see what happens when/if they get in.

6 hours ago, Ozanne said:

Far too many sound bites for me … but they all do it these days . Let’s see if / when they get in power what they deliver 

this minimum service levels during strikes thing is stupid, the service levels will need to hit the levels for holiday service otherwise the govt (thru the nhs or rail franchises) will be mandating less than the minimum service levels. and those holiday service levels are lower than advocates of that law are expecting. a train's holiday level service is shit if you want to go anywhere.

4 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

Its a lot of fluff...  won't change much but will let Rishi look like he is getting hard on the unions.  

True, I was pointing out that it doesn't cure anything cos it'll be measured against the worst that service delivers. 

Edited by Neil

I might end up changing my mind about how the NHS is doing. I don't have details yet (my oldest bruv was in florida, so contact with the hospital wasn't as regular as it might have been) , but my old mum passed away in hospital this morning. Last I'd heard she was doing OK and was waiting for transfer to a rehab ward. 

11 minutes ago, Neil said:

I might end up changing my mind about how the NHS is doing. I don't have details yet (my oldest bruv was in florida, so contact with the hospital wasn't as regular as it might have been) , but my old mum passed away in hospital this morning. Last I'd heard she was doing OK and was waiting for transfer to a rehab ward. 

Sorry to hear that mate. Hope you are bearing up as well as possible.