2023 legend slot

ProperTea

Just now, Jose Pose said:

Yeah 02 Arena, you’re aware that isn’t a stadium aren’t you? 

Oh for heavens sake, read the post. It was replying to your assertion of “tiny venues”. You are aware there are venues between “tiny” and stadiums aren’t you? And try not to be so rude.

2 minutes ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

Oh for heavens sake, read the post. It was replying to your assertion of “tiny venues”. You are aware there are venues between “tiny” and stadiums aren’t you? And try not to be so rude.

It’s your own time you’re wasting, if you want to live in a world where you genuinely believe GnR are suitable for the legend slot then that’s your lookout, I can only try and help you see sense, but it appears I’m wasting my time so I’ll leave you to it.

Edited by Jose Pose

2 minutes ago, Jose Pose said:

It’s your own time you’re wasting, if you want to live in a world where you genuinely believe GnR are suitable for the legend slot then that’s your lookout, I can only try and help you see sense, but it appears I’m wasting my time so I’ll leave you to it.

Thanks.

As I've said before, the "Legends" slot isn't just about big an act is. It's a number of factors that all come together - size, tunes, personality, nostalgia, camp appeal.... you look at the acts who have done it in recent years - Dolly, Lionel, Kylie, Diana and they are all huge acts with big personalities who "got it" (Dolly and Kylie especially).  It's not about the tunes it's about bringing the right vibe.

You look at an act who does that slot and it is impossible to imagine them anywhere else on the bill. Which is why I don't see GnR or Pulp in that slot, they don't quite fit the profile IMO.

I also doubt whether Axl would bother for a mid-afternoon set, "legend" or not.

• Like 1

Just now, Hugh Jass II said:

As I've said before, the "Legends" slot isn't just about big an act is. It's a number of factors that all come together - size, tunes, personality, nostalgia, camp appeal.... you look at the acts who have done it in recent years - Dolly, Lionel, Kylie, Diana and they are all huge acts with big personalities who "got it" (Dolly and Kylie especially).  It's not about the tunes it's about bringing the right vibe.

You look at an act who does that slot and it is impossible to imagine them anywhere else on the bill. Which is why I don't see GnR or Pulp in that slot, they don't quite fit the profile IMO.

Yep, I tend to agree with all of this.

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Your point about them “getting it”.... I felt that Lionel may not have beforehand, but it seemed to suddenly kick in part way through. It remains one of my all time favourites for that reason. He started a bit unsure, but had the place bouncing by the end. Magical.

23 minutes ago, Jose Pose said:

The full UK and Ireland tour dates are as follows:

• June 3, 2023 Belfast, Ireland, Belsonic, Ormeau Park
  • June 4, 2023 Dublin, Ireland St Annes Park
  • June 7, 2023 St Austell, Eden Sessions, Eden Project
  • June 11, 2023 Taunton, Cooper Associates County Ground, Somerset CCC
  • June 14, 2023 Woodstock, Oxford, Nocturne Live, Blenheim Palace
  • June 27, 2023 Romsey, Southampton, Broadlands
  • June 30, 2023 Chepstow, Chepstow Racecourse

Belsonic Festival 2019. Tickets, lineup, bands for Belsonic Festival 2019 |  Wegow Sweden

This is Belsonic. You've got a funny notion of what tiny means

29 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

There are outliers though. ELO, Roxy Music (if they were really originally booked for this year).

FWIW, I don’t think it’s a ridiculous suggestion that GNR could do the legends slot, but given literally all rumours that we have relating to them suggest that they’re headlining, and seemingly on Saturday, then it’s pretty clear it’s not happening.

1 minute ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

There are outliers though. ELO, Roxy Music (if they were really originally booked for this year).

FWIW, I don’t think it’s a ridiculous suggestion that GNR could do the legends slot, but given literally all rumours that we have relating to them suggest that they’re headlining, and seemingly on Saturday, then it’s pretty clear it’s not happening.

ELO were an outlier and they also flopped.

As much as I would have enjoyed them I can't imagine Roxy would fare much better.

Just now, Hugh Jass II said:

ELO were an outlier and they also flopped.

As much as I would have enjoyed them I can't imagine Roxy would fare much better.

Sure, just saying there are outliers.

9 minutes ago, Jose Pose said:

That’s really cool and everything, but does that mean you think GnR are the legends? And do you think Lionel could’ve headlined? 

I'll take this comment as acceptance that Belsonic is not a tiny venue

I don't think GnR's will do the legend slot for the reasons Hugh gave and I think Lionel could have headlined if he did not do the legend slot although there would be many people moaning probably not as many as moans for GnR's though.

5 minutes ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

I don't think GnR's will do the legend slot for the reasons Hugh gave and I think Lionel could have headlined if he did not do the legend slot although there would be many people moaning probably not as many as moans for GnR's though.

There would have been much, much more moaning if they somehow booked Lionel to headline. An indescribable amount more.

Hell, there was plenty of moaning when he was initially announced despite being damn near the perfect booking for the legends slot - a large number of people (initially) were still ingrained in the bullshit genre partisanship that thankfully has faded a lot now but was common back when he was having hits, and for those people his 80s output made him the ultimate enemy.

55 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Using an act that were almost certainly never booked for that slot in the first place, but even if they were aren’t playing it anyway, is somewhat of a stretch to justify GnR.

Edited by Jose Pose

24 minutes ago, Jose Pose said:

Using an act that were almost certainly never booked for that slot in the first place, but even if they were aren’t playing it anyway, is somewhat of a stretch to justify GnR.

Well GnR clearly fit the mould more than ELO or Roxy Music (whether they were booked or not).