2023 legend slot

ProperTea

1 hour ago, incident said:

There would have been much, much more moaning if they somehow booked Lionel to headline. An indescribable amount more.

Hell, there was plenty of moaning when he was initially announced despite being damn near the perfect booking for the legends slot - a large number of people (initially) were still ingrained in the bullshit genre partisanship that thankfully has faded a lot now but was common back when he was having hits, and for those people his 80s output made him the ultimate enemy.

2 years prior lionel richie only coheadlined BST with jenifer lopez and it didnt sell out. There would have been a ton of moaning if he was headlining

8 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

The stereotypical mould*. Point I'm making really is that there isn't a set formula.

I'd argue that there is. May as well quote myself fro a couple of days back:

On 1/13/2023 at 11:30 AM, CaledonianGonzo said:

Don't focus on the word legend imho.

In this context it applies to easy, non abrasive popular favourites with a strong pull of nostalgia, sung by someone with oodles of charisma and showbiz pizzazz.

It's a light entertainment slot.

There absolutely is a mould. And while there is some variation there and some questions about definition, there really is a fairly limited number of acts who qualify. But, there are posters here consistently suggest ridiculous propositions and then get narked when someone else brings a dose of reality. From the obviously too small (B-52s, Jody Watley et al) to the obviously too big - GNR! I mean, try explaining to Axl that his stadium-conquering band are booked for an hour and a quarter at 5pm, and will be followed by an act whose last tour saw them headlining Brixton!

16 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

then get narked when someone else brings a dose of reality

Personally, I only get narked at the rudeness of certain responses. Those that include phrases like dose of reality. Those that question whether or not I know the difference between a tiny venue and a stadium. Debating who is, and who is not, a suitable fit for the legends slot is, largely, the whole point of the thread. Anyone taking offence, or getting narked, by such a debate should perhaps seek an alternative forum upon which to display their keyboard warrior skills. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

Personally, I only get narked at the rudeness of certain responses. Those that include phrases like dose of reality. Those that question whether or not I know the difference between a tiny venue and a stadium. Debating who is, and who is not, a suitable fit for the legends slot is, largely, the whole point of the thread. Anyone taking offence, or getting narked, by such a debate should perhaps seek an alternative forum upon which to display their keyboard warrior skills. 

So… using a phrase like ‘dose of reality’ is considered rude and gets you narked, but anyone who gets narked at the debate is a keyboard warrior and should go elsewhere…?

Cool.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

So… using a phrase like ‘dose of reality’ is considered rude and gets you narked, but anyone who gets narked at the debate is a keyboard warrior and should go elsewhere…?

Cool.

Pretty much replaying what I said there, so yep. Upvoted for being slightly more succinct than me.

9 minutes ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

Pretty much replaying what I said there, so yep. Upvoted for being slightly more succinct than me.

I think you misunderstood my post. I was highlighting the apparent contradiction in what you said ie. Nobody else is allowed to get narked but you are totally justified doing just that if you perceive somebody else being rude.

6 hours ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

Apologies if this has been covered before, but have we considered Guns n Roses for this slot?

2 hours ago, maelzoid said:

there are posters here consistently suggest ridiculous propositions and then get narked when someone else brings a dose of reality.

So just to ensure I am being 100% understood.... I am not narked by the first quote, as even if regarded a ridiculous suggestion, it’s what this forum and in particular, this thread are all about. Anyone narked by it would, in my humble opinion, be better served seeking out alternative Internet forums to enjoy, unless they’re  just a keyboard warrior.

I am, however, narked by the second quote (amongst others) as it’s a bit rude, and only serves to stifle debate. 

And, fwiw, although I recognise it as a stretch, and not really a suitable slot for them, I’ve yet to see a coherent argument against the speculation of the original post. Save for the fact Axl won’t be up in time.

Edited by Tranquility of Solitude

5 hours ago, Hugh Jass II said:

As I've said before, the "Legends" slot isn't just about big an act is. It's a number of factors that all come together - size, tunes, personality, nostalgia, camp appeal.... you look at the acts who have done it in recent years - Dolly, Lionel, Kylie, Diana and they are all huge acts with big personalities who "got it" (Dolly and Kylie especially).  It's not about the tunes it's about bringing the right vibe.

You look at an act who does that slot and it is impossible to imagine them anywhere else on the bill. Which is why I don't see GnR or Pulp in that slot, they don't quite fit the profile IMO.

I also doubt whether Axl would bother for a mid-afternoon set, "legend" or not.

5 hours ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

Yep, I tend to agree with all of this.