2023 legend slot

ProperTea

2 minutes ago, stanh said:

All the security do a dance routine to one of the songs during the set.

Looks completely forced and joyless, most are even bothering.

Glastonbury really doesn't need these false traditions.

Lets have a bit more imagination and spontaneity.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Skip997 said:

Never been, but agree it's had it's day. Don't know about the reaction of the crowd feeling forced, but having to have a "legend" on a Sunday afternoon definitely feels forced and more and more desperate as the years go by.

I was referring to the embarrassing "security" thing, not the slot as a whole which is fine but just needs a bit more variety than we've seen over the past few festivals. Meaning it needs to include more than kitsch pop - which they do appear to be addressing if they've booked Roxy Music.

3 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Never been, but agree it's had it's day. Don't know about the reaction of the crowd feeling forced, but having to have a "legend" on a Sunday afternoon definitely feels forced and more and more desperate as the years go by.

Never been to one but know it’s shite.

For someone who is ‘salt of the earth glastonbury festival’ it sounds like you spend pretty much all your time doing rolly pollies round the healing fields. No problem with that, but recognise that a lot of people here do actually enjoy music and the music that Glastonbury books.

I find it an insufferable level of gatekeeping the idea that the pure way to enjoy glastonbury festival is to sack off the music. Weirdest behaviour.

23 minutes ago, stanh said:

Do we reckon they'll draw a big crowd? 

Yes. Think people will just turn up for that slot regardless 

Love some Roxy so be nice if a little less crowded.

Remember 92 when Underworld had the experimental music field, and played under that name. Was maybe Wednesday and sat in a near empty field with friends sharing a fat one and they tested the speakers by blasting out Avalon.  Wonderful in the Sun. 

6 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I find it an insufferable level of gatekeeping the idea that the pure way to enjoy glastonbury festival is to sack off the music. Weirdest behaviour.

You've no  idea and are making a huge and condescending presumption (typical of a few on here). I watch plenty of music, but not shite, most that which I watch happens to occur between 10pm and 5am.

I don't watch stuff just for the sake of it, I've got other things to do, which evidently most on here neither understand or value.

If you'd bothered to read my review of Glastonbury 2019 then you would know that I watch bands.

I was thinking of doing a 2017 one, bit it's probably pointless.

Edited by Skip997

Just now, fred quimby said:

Remember 92 when Underworld had the experimental music field, and played under that name. Was maybe Wednesday and sat in a near empty field with friends sharing a fat one and they tested the speakers by blasting out Avalon.  Wonderful in the Sun. 

Sounds absolutely class!

1 minute ago, Skip997 said:

You've no  idea and are making a huge and condescending presumption (typical of a few on here). I watch plenty of music, but not shite, most that which I watch happens to occur between 10pm and 5am.

If you'd bothered to read my review of Glastonbury 2019 then you would know that I watch bands.

But all you have is negative views about everything - and even more negative views about people who enjoy things you consider “not glastonbury”.

26 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

As you’ve never been, you’ve got completely the wrong idea. By Sunday afternoon, most people are spent, tired and running on reserve.  The Sunday afternoon come together and singalong reactivates the crowd energy and gets them going again. I’ve had moments of deep joy and happiness with my friends at this slot over the years when an hour before I’ve felt like death.

The dance routines can do one as far as I’m concerned but I’ve never really noticed anyone paying attention to them anyway. 

As with all things Glasto, festivals, life in general - just because you don’t like it doesn’t make it shit, Skip.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, stuie said:

As you’ve never been, you’ve got completely the wrong idea. By Sunday afternoon, most people are spent, tired and running on reserve.  The Sunday afternoon come together and singalong reactivates the crowd energy and gets them going again. I’ve had moments of deep joy and happiness with my friends at this slot over the years when an hour before I’ve felt like death.

The dance routines can do one as far as I’m concerned but I’ve never really noticed anyone paying attention to them anyway. 

As with all things Glasto, festivals, life in general - just because you don’t like it doesn’t make it shit, Skip.

I'm generally okay on Sunday afternoon as my usual run up will have been. Get up some time late morning/early afternoon after an all nighter in SE corner, then coffee and breakfast. If there's something I'm interested in that afternoon I'll have a look (unless it's raining), maybe have a couple of spliffs. If there's nothing then I'll chill in the craft field until such time as there's something on I'd like to see.

One of the main reasons I'm relatively alive on Sunday afternoon is that I don't drink alcohol. This is also probably one of the reasons I don't go to stuff I don't like just for a laugh.

Anyway, I really should try again to shut up re stuff I don't like.

47 minutes ago, incident said:

*all the ringers wearing borrowed security polo shirts.

There's a reason the number of them randomly doubles for about 10 minutes.

Oh no, next thing you are going to tell me Father Christmas isn’t real 😂 I’d actually never twigged that, but you are right, there are always a ton more of them for that bit when you watch it back on TV

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

I'm generally okay on Sunday afternoon as my usual run up will have been. Get up some time late morning/early afternoon after an all nighter in SE corner, then coffee and breakfast. If there's something I'm interested in that afternoon I'll have a look (unless it's raining), maybe have a couple of spliffs. If there's nothing then I'll chill in the craft field until such time as there's something on I'd like to see.

One of the main reasons I'm relatively alive on Sunday afternoon is that I don't drink alcohol. This is also probably one of the reasons I don't go to stuff I don't like just for a laugh.

Anyway, I really should try again to shut up re stuff I don't like.

I never said anything about going to things I don’t like! And even with no alcohol, all that Mandy must take it’s toll by Sunday, no? 

1 minute ago, stuie said:

I never said anything about going to things I don’t like! And even with no alcohol, all that Mandy must take it’s toll by Sunday, no? 

Thankfully I have a very low tolerance to mandy and need very little to keep me up all night, smiling, friendly and dancing.

I don't go for the completely wired, jaw chewing, can't keep still for a second effect, so I'm relatively okay by Sunday.