2023 legend slot

ProperTea

On 9/14/2022 at 12:30 PM, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Mel C would love to play Glasto, of course she would. She's been irrelevant for 20 years.

I'm glad they're not the Legend for next year (if I get tickets), although they'll prob do it one year.

Unless, they're going to sub-Elton on the Sunday.

mel c did an intagram the other day about doing glasto with blossoms. sounded like nothing was happening with the spice girls. the mail story looks like the same glsato bollocks they've put out each recent year.

9 hours ago, sfroml said:

Any thoughts/possibility of Sparks playing the Legends slot? 

They’re nowhere near big enough, and don’t tend to play too many of the hits live (This Town.., No 1 Song in Heaven, When Do I Get to Sing My Way are all pretty much guaranteed, but little else is), but they are truly great live and I’d love to see them given a decent slot on the Pyramid 

• Like 1

The reason I engaged in the rumours is because it was someone other than Mel B (Mel C) saying it.

I have a strong hunch the problem is Posh though. I can’t imagine Glasto want Spice Girls without her. If they do hit the road again without her I can see this being the reason Glastonbury let it pass by.

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

The reason I engaged in the rumours is because it was someone other than Mel B (Mel C) saying it.

I have a strong hunch the problem is Posh though. I can’t imagine Glasto want Spice Girls without her. If they do hit the road again without her I can see this being the reason Glastonbury let it pass by.

i can't see that glasto would be hugely bothered about posh? at the moment the others are the issue as they're not currently a working band.

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

Eh, Posh being there is obviously a bonus, but I doubt that’s what’s stopping their appearance, and it’s more likely down to money and/or where they think they should be on the bill (headlining outright rather than the daytime cheese slot). 

2 minutes ago, Neil said:

i can't see that glasto would be hugely bothered about posh? at the moment the others are the issue as they're not currently a working band.

I think it’s that Posh is the most famous member of the band and it’s not a “true” reunion unless she’s onboard. Based on nothing but a gut feeling, I reckon Glastonbury would have them if she was part of it. I reckon glastonbury would be happy to skip them if Posh wasn’t part of their next reunion round.

Just now, Matt42 said:

I think it’s that Posh is the most famous member of the band and it’s not a “true” reunion unless she’s onboard. Based on nothing but a gut feeling, I reckon Glastonbury would have them if she was part of it. I reckon glastonbury would be happy to skip them if Posh wasn’t part of their next reunion round.

You’re right there, can’t treat them as a serious band without Posh….

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

glasto can't book them either way. cos they're not available to book.

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

I’m speaking as if they were hitting the road again and available. I could see Glasto passing on them if it wasn’t the full band, just like they’ve done in the past.

with who?????

They offer nothing but a curiousity bump in TV viewers if Posh is there. They sold out an entire stadium tour a few years ago with just the four of them.

Even if it was without Posh they'd still get an absolutely heaving Pyramid crowd. Emily isn't sat there hand-wringing and sweating about if Victoria is signed on or not. C'mon now.

Glastonbury fell a couple of weeks after their tour ended last time so likely they just couldn't make it work schedule wise/cash wise.

26 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Well the Spice Girls did a stint a while ago didn’t they without Posh? And despite every media outlet rumouring them they didn’t get booked.

yeah, but yokiu're presuming they didn't get booked by glasto because of the lack of posh, i'd say it was because of the lack of credibility.

23 minutes ago, Neil said:

yeah, but yokiu're presuming they didn't get booked by glasto because of the lack of posh, i'd say it was because of the lack of credibility.

Or, y'know, it could be neither of those things.

As I said above, the last time they were around didn't slot with Glastonbury in their tour and would require an extra single one-off day two weeks later for crew, stage production, band and the girls themselves to all do one extra show after the tour had wrapped. It's an expensive loss leader for a band like that.

If they're scheduling a 2023/2024 tour and actively have a Glastonbury offer on the table for next time it's a lot easier to work around schedule/finance wise.

2 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

Or, y'know, it could be neither of those things

i'd say the spices (like most bands)  are easily bookable by glasto if glasto wants them, and if glasto hasn't booked them its because glasto hasn't wanted them.

Just now, Neil said:

i'd say the spices (like most bands)  are easily bookable by glasto if glasto wants them, and if glasto hasn't booked them its because glasto hasn't wanted them.

But they're not easily bookable though, that's what I'm saying. They've got back together once in the past decade for live shows and that didn't work at all with festival timing. They're a stadium act with all the logistics around that, it's not like they're just getting some guitars out of storage.

Either way, they're a perfect legends slot regardless of how un-credible you think they are. I'd love to see them, and given the insane reaction to some of the retro pop stuff this year Emily would be shrewd to have a chat with whoever's sorting the next dates.

17 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

Or, y'know, it could be neither of those things.

As I said above, the last time they were around didn't slot with Glastonbury in their tour and would require an extra single one-off day two weeks later for crew, stage production, band and the girls themselves to all do one extra show after the tour had wrapped. It's an expensive loss leader for a band like that.

If they're scheduling a 2023/2024 tour and actively have a Glastonbury offer on the table for next time it's a lot easier to work around schedule/finance wise.

Yeah it’s a big deal if they get together without posh, but the last time they toured it was for the first time in ages. Obviously if they came back without posh it would still sell big numbers etc, but do you not think that Glastonbury would wait until they’ve fully reformed? Very rare for legends to get asked back, or have an act like that back for a second go. Imagine if they booked the spice girls in the legend slot one year and then 2 years later Posh rejoined.

This is why I think no Posh no Glasto party. They won’t want to waste their one opportunity to get them if it’s not the full house.

Edited by Matt42

5 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

This is why I think no Posh no Glasto party. They won’t want to waste their one opportunity to get them if it’s not the full house.

its not an opportunity to get them if  what's on offer is  not the version of the band they want.

Just now, Neil said:

its not an opportunity to get them if  what's on offer is  not the version of the band they want.

Well if a not fully reformed spice girls are keen to do it, I can see the festival declining it if it’s not the full house. Thats my view. Nothing personal against the band or an indication of what Eavis finds credible. Booking them without Posh would mean if Posh ever rejoined they’d miss out or have to book them again (which is unprecedented). Which is why I can see them waiting.

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Well if a not fully reformed spice girls are keen to do it, I can see the festival declining it if it’s not the full house. Thats my view. Nothing personal against the band or an indication of what Eavis finds credible. Booking them without Posh would mean if Posh ever rejoined they’d miss out or have to book them again (which is unprecedented). Which is why I can see them waiting.

i'm not sure they over-think it like that. the spice girls they might want to book, is a version of the spice girls  that's available to book.

I doubt Glastonbury has a list of bands which it will only take on if all original members are there. For a lot of bands, they would never get gigs again if everyone only gave them a shot if original members were there.

Imagine a reunited Spice Girls, bar Posh, saying we'll take any slot you give us, and Emily replying "It's with Posh or nothing". 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

I doubt Glastonbury has a list of bands which it will only take on if all original members are there. For a lot of bands, they would never get gigs again if everyone only gave them a shot if original members were there.

Imagine a reunited Spice Girls, bar Posh, saying we'll take any slot you give us, and Emily replying "It's with Posh or nothing". 

Can 100% see Glastonbury holding off until a full reunion. They know their attendees would prefer a full house rather than Spice Girls without their most famous member. They would only book them once, might as well wait until it’s the right time.

Edited by Matt42

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Can 100% see Glastonbury holding off until a full reunion. They know their attendees would prefer a full house rather than Spice Girls without their most famous member. They would only book them once, might as well wait until it’s the right time.

Be waiting a long time, doubt Posh will ever go back to music. Whether she's there or not really isn't a big deal if the other 4 are.

Like saying the reason Glastonbury hasn't booked Fleetwood Mac is because Lindsey Buckingham isn't there.