2023 legend slot

ProperTea

On 11/7/2022 at 12:31 PM, OBface said:

I have info on who's lined up for the slot that I can't divulge. Which I get is super annoying.

They haven't been mentioned on here thus far and would have huge crowd appeal whilst pissing off swathes of the festival old guard. 

Probably worth bringing this up again. I don’t think Robbie fits this as he was one of the most routinely suggested names for it. 

18 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

What are Duran Duran but the Roxy Music of the 1980s?

I think you know that's not the case. They have six or seven massive tunes most casual punters would know.

Rio, Hungry Like The Wolf, The Reflex, Wild Boys, View To A Kill, Girls on Film, Planet Earth,  Save A Prayer...

They would smash that slot into next year.

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

I think you know that's not the case. They have six or seven massive tunes most casual punters would know.

Rio, Hungry Like The Wolf, The Reflex, Wild Boys, View To A Kill, Girls on Film, Planet Earth,  Save A Prayer...

I meant in the sense that they were both art-school pop acts with aspirations towards a sort of louche sophisticated glamour and that for a while they embodied the zeitgeist of their respective eras.

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I meant in the sense that they were both art-school pop acts with aspirations towards a sort of louche sophisticated glamour and that for a while they embodied the zeitgeist of their respective eras.

Hmmm.... ok I'll accept that.

DD made a far greater impact on the mainstream from a nostalgia perspective.

10 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

but..but...but..."art rock"!!

3 minutes ago, Hutchmaster said:

Is it bad I can actually see this? I know it doesn't tick the "vintage 80s/90s star" box, but they've sold out arenas across the board with ease and would get a pretty big crowd while simultaneously pissing off the old guard...

I wouldn't be pissed off, I just wouldn't go.

6 minutes ago, Hutchmaster said:

Is it bad I can actually see this? I know it doesn't tick the "vintage 80s/90s star" box, but they've sold out arenas across the board with ease and would get a pretty big crowd while simultaneously pissing off the old guard...

There are are probably about 100 acts you could name that sell out arenas and would piss of the old guard, but they won’t be doing the Glastonbury legend slot anytime soon either.

Glasto hasn't really joined in that much with the all the 80s love so D Duran would be a good little catch up. But if Annie and the Beard behind really are going to do some shows then The Eurythmics would wear the Pyramid like a glass slipper in this slot.

4 hours ago, Memory Man said:

Roxy would be a complete and utter meh to the vast majority of people under 40 - that’s not a wild take.

the crowd would not be large

I think i’m aware of love is the drug and thats it.

it would be a disappointing legend for a lot of people, whilst being realistic and remembering its not possible to deliver a stone cold banger every single festival in this slot - as it depends who is touring and who will do it for the cash on offer.

I mean, you could have said the exact same thing in reverse for over 40s and Billie Eilish. But collectively we're able to agree she's a huge act and people gave her a go.

1 hour ago, kingcrawler said:

Probably worth bringing this up again. I don’t think Robbie fits this as he was one of the most routinely suggested names for it. 

that person later admitted they hadn't been reading the thread and the act might have been mentioned.

Everyone's idea of what 'the festival old guard' means is different.

Really that person didn't give us any information at all