2023 legend slot

ProperTea

4 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Your tastes definitely expand as you get older.

When I was a teenager in the 90's the thought of listening to anything that wasn't the same few white lads with guitars was absolutely appalling to me. It's very much a tribal thing where you and your mates all listen to the same stuff to fit in with each other.

These days I couldn't care less and listen to pretty much anything (except Genesis).

Genesis legend slot ? 🤣

20 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Indeed! I'd say I listen to more new music now than I did in my 20s actually (I'm 40).

Same... of course Spotify (other streaming services are available) helps massively in trying new things.  When I was a youngster we had to buy or borrow to try it, or visit the headphone stand in Our Price! 

It was mostly about white guys with guitars in the 90's for me as well (with a generous side helping of house/trance), and although my tastes have definitely expanded, I now have little to no time for white guys with guitars, except if they're from that era. Can't really explain that.

Edited by kalifire

8 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

When I was a teenager in the 90's the thought of listening to anything that wasn't the same few white lads with guitars was absolutely appalling to me. It's very much a tribal thing where you and your mates all listen to the same stuff to fit in with each other.

These days I couldn't care less and listen to pretty much anything (except Genesis).

I don't know, when I was a teenager was when I got into a lot of older stuff. But that's because the bands I loved - Placebo, Manics- referenced older music so it made me search it out.

3 minutes ago, stuie said:

Same... of course Spotify (other streaming services are available) helps massively in trying new things.  When I was a youngster we had to buy or borrow to try it, or visit the headphone stand in Our Price! 

I don't use Spotify so it's 6music that introduces me to new stuff generally.

My early 20s were when I listened tp the least new music as I was super skint and mainly just listened to stuff I'd liked as a teenager and Nick Cave.

3 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I don't know, when I was a teenager was when I got into a lot of older stuff. But that's because the bands I loved - Placebo, Manics- referenced older music so it made me search it out.

I listened to older stuff, but it was largely confined to the stuff I was already listening to. Being an Oasis nut naturally made me seek out the Beatles, Stones, Smiths, Roses. None of it was a departure from the stuff I was already listening to.

Funny how taste develops.  As a kid my Mum was always playing motown & soul stuff, Dad liked more rock/glam.  Outside of Bowie, who I worshipped, I always preferred Mum's records growing up until Dad bought an album by a fairly new band - U2.  Then it was like a door opening up to other stuff.  This led me down a path towards harder, rockier stuff until in my teens I was a proper metalhead.  Then in the late 80's/early 90's it morphed again through to grunge then indie.

These days I will literally listen to anything.  I'm far less tribal and obsessive over genres as I was when I was younger.  Now I either like it or I don't and that's my only measure.

Anyway, back to the legend slot.  Still sticking with Steps.

18 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

I think my tastes were actually always a little more eclectic than I would have admitted to but I was also heavily into the indie white men with guitars. The Doors were huge in the early 90's and I was hugely into them. I definitely went through a snobby phase where even stuff I had liked I wouldn't admit to. Now I like what I like and give zero fucks whether it's cool or popular or not. I frequently go to gigs where I honestly don't even know what the band look like. 

35 minutes ago, stuie said:

Quick google tells me they were on the farm back in 1986 and they have a fair few bangers that would suit the legend slot. 

They were and I saw it and I'm one of the people who would say we deserve better 😉

Boy does this thread make me feel old, some of the first stuff I taped off parents was Buddy Holly, Everly Brothers, Motown, Gino Washington.  Then older sister got into punk, then ska came along. I lived in the North East, so in those days live music was pretty dominated by heavy metal.

Luckily for me I moved to the South West, went to the farm and my horizons were broadened from them on 😊

8 minutes ago, clarkete said:

They were and I saw it and I'm one of the people who would say we deserve better 😉

Boy does this thread make me feel old, some of the first stuff I taped off parents was Buddy Holly, Everly Brothers, Motown, Gino Washington.  Then older sister got into punk, then ska came along. I lived in the North East, so in those days live music was pretty dominated by heavy metal.

Luckily for me I moved to the South West, went to the farm and my horizons were broadened from them on 😊

My Dad liked Buddy Holly but nobody in my family is into music like me. My Brothers were 12 and 10 years older than me and I picked up The Beatles and Bob Dylan from them. My older sister is 4 years older and she introduced me to some stuff as well but they all still listen to what they listened to when they were teenagers and music is not really a big part of their lives whereas I still live and breathe it. For someone with absolutely no musical talent myself I'm definitely the anomaly in my family. My eldest brother occasionally says and you still go to gigs. I couldn't think of anything worse. 

Edited by gigpusher

20 minutes ago, clarkete said:

They might have improved in the 36 years since then I guess.  They played Dreamland outdoor stage in the summer and had good reviews. 

1 hour ago, stuie said:

Could Simply Red be in with a shout sometime?

Quick google tells me they were on the farm back in 1986 and they have a fair few bangers that would suit the legend slot. 

Due to a set of circumstances, I ended up seeing Simply and the lads earlier this year. I was an unwilling guest but I did relax and quite enjoy the set of all pretty much familiar stuff. The early hits are certainly ok.

Legends slot though? Not a chance. They could do an afternoon set somewhere though.