Things that don't happen at Glastonbury anymore...

Troop Dogg

1 hour ago, -TLR- said:

yeah i used to really love it when the market sound systems were the late night fun - nothing fancy, no overthinking, no forced wackyness - just a market stall with a soundsystem banging out psytrance (or if you wanted something else, go to the stall up the road...)

Brings back memories of purple microdots and being inches away from speakers for hours on end - really miss the pop-up sound systems.... my hearing is grateful though!

10 minutes ago, Bods670 said:

The herbal high stall or the wine bar stall was very popular for the late night parties! 

I recall being at one of the wine bars and they played' rock the kasbah' by the clash and a load of people got to the front and started shaking the van whilst shouting 'rock the wine bar' 😄 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, mrfunk said:

things I really miss:-

The Garlic Kitchen

Is that the place that did garlic bread for £1? I pretty much lived on that in 98, 99 and 2000, it's all I could afford. If I found I had a bit spare on the Sunday though i'd treat myself to an Aussie Steak Sandwich - are they still there? I'm sure i've seen them not that long ago.

1 hour ago, Twiggy553 said:

They still have those. I def got one last year

edit: or am I going mad? I haven’t slept much in the last five years 😕

you deffo did get one last year - and you deffo wont this year - sorry to break it to you 

1 hour ago, Justcalledtosay said:

Isn't that ultimately what Brothers Bar is now?

It was more a case of every little stall in the market playing music. Something that doesn’t float your boat comes on, no worries, wander off to the next one! 

anyone remember in either '97 or '98 there was a big hole that was covered by all the mud... a crowd slowly gathered and formed a sort of human funnel that diverted anyone unfortunate enough to be walking that way straight to the hole resulting in a sort of vicar-of-dibbly moment and a cheer from said crowd.

it all culminated when an ice cream van was diverted into the hole, where the wheel got jammed and it had to be bumped by the crowd to get it out of the hole and on its way...

(the comment above about rock the wine bar made me think of it).

obviously this is something i do not ever wish to see again - as i do not wish to ever have the mud again!

I first went in 2010 and even though it doesn't feel like it changed that much a few things that stand out. The crowd was a 'bit' more crusty, legal high stalls, raves in the market, more campsite/ SH dealers, site was less "pretty", cans sold by blokes on the railway track (still going in 2019), stages were generally just tents with speakers in.

Edited by toohottoocold

1 hour ago, -TLR- said:

it all culminated when an ice cream van was diverted into the hole, where the wheel got jammed and it had to be bumped by the crowd to get it out of the hole and on its way...

I remember a police van getting stuck in the main market area. There were cheers as its wheels spun, followed by clumps of mud being thrown and the police inside gradually rolling the windows up looking a bit sheepish. Must have been 97 or 98. 

Does that guy still wander around the Stone Circle with a briefcase full of various substances?

No one approaches me trying to make a sale anymore, I guess I look like an undercover DS these days so it's understandable...

Losing track of a mate on the Friday, and then bumping into them on Sunday looking like they've been in the wars.

Also: someone calling after their friend at the campsite, and the whole field chiming in "JOHN! JOHN!"