Your most controversial Glastonbury opinions

Deaf Nobby Burton

4 hours ago, FrankieX said:

Glastonbury, and festivals generally, are best attended alone.

When I've gone to festivals with other people, it feels like a third of the time is spent in admin. Looking for people in a crowd ("We're about ten meters from the front, in line with the speakers on the left", or something similarly vague), hanging around outside the toilets waiting for one of the group to relieve themselves, going to see acts I couldn't care less about just to experience things 'as a group', and staying up to talk about our days rather than going to sleep because I'm absolutely shattered.

I’d say This is true of most things. We’ve all been on big group holidays when we were younger but we all quickly grow out of it because it’s so much hassle. This is doubly true when the group includes multiple couples, who have their own challenges and relationship dynamics.

Mrs SBK and I have another couple (& their kids) that we go to victorious festival with and it couldn’t be better. We meet in the morning, chat about our plans, head off in either the same direction or off to different places. If we are bored we will reach out and meet up or if there is an act that we are all going to watch we try and hook up but the key thing is we are all comfortable that there is zero obligation for anyone to do anything except what they want. Getting that level of trust in a bigger group is nigh on impossible, but smaller groups can work. 

I have a bigger group of mates that can do similar for holidays, but that is an all male group and a group that has been mates since school (20+ years). I think that is what makes the difference. We all know that no one is gonna get offended that someone wants to do something different. We make loose plans, if people want to join they can, but also if they wanna go off by themselves, that’s cool too. 

3 minutes ago, DirtyLurker said:

The view from the Glastonbury sign at the top of Park has had a lot of the awe sapped out of it by too my photos circulated online.

*or I just looked at waaay too many photos before I headed up there!  The curse of too much freely available info

those damn artists painting pictures too 😂

7 minutes ago, DirtyLurker said:

The view from the Glastonbury sign at the top of Park has had a lot of the awe sapped out of it by too my photos circulated online.

*or I just looked at waaay too many photos before I headed up there!  The curse of too much freely available info

On a similar vein, the constant proposals up there are starting to become a little bit cliché. 

36 minutes ago, SouthbanKen said:

I’d say This is true of most things. We’ve all been on big group holidays when we were younger but we all quickly grow out of it because it’s so much hassle. This is doubly true when the group includes multiple couples, who have their own challenges and relationship dynamics.

Mrs SBK and I have another couple (& their kids) that we go to victorious festival with and it couldn’t be better. We meet in the morning, chat about our plans, head off in either the same direction or off to different places. If we are bored we will reach out and meet up or if there is an act that we are all going to watch we try and hook up but the key thing is we are all comfortable that there is zero obligation for anyone to do anything except what they want. Getting that level of trust in a bigger group is nigh on impossible, but smaller groups can work. 

I have a bigger group of mates that can do similar for holidays, but that is an all male group and a group that has been mates since school (20+ years). I think that is what makes the difference. We all know that no one is gonna get offended that someone wants to do something different. We make loose plans, if people want to join they can, but also if they wanna go off by themselves, that’s cool too. 

I have to say my best Glastonbury was 2017 when I went with my now ex wife. We had a big group of friends there, but camped separately, we did our thing in the day then met up with our mates in the evening either for the headliners if we were seeing the same thing, or afterwards and then we spent the evening with them. I did and saw more than I’ve done at any Glastonbury, plus I never had to compromise on anything.

16 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

On a similar vein, the constant proposals up there are starting to become a little bit cliché. 

I was in the William green tent having a great laugh watching ultimate power and a couple who'd got engaged the year before did the whole dirty dancing routine as they're wedding song on stage , was really good 🤣🤣🤣

17 hours ago, siblin said:

I was also going to say this.  Also Radiohead in 2017 we’re meh and we left half way through.

I’m not even a fan (got persuaded to go by my wife) and I thought it was the best live gig i’ve ever been to. 🤷‍♂️

39 minutes ago, Twiggy553 said:

I’m not even a fan (got persuaded to go by my wife) and I thought it was the best live gig i’ve ever been to. 🤷‍♂️

I'm not even a fan and I left part way through as my feelings were confirmed (I think before they did the few songs I like) 🤣

That's the beauty of the festival though, you just go elsewhere and find something up your street, which is what I did. 

Maybe not quit hitting the vein of this thread as its orientated around my behaviour not glasto itself but...

If I have negative opinions about a band/artist/celebrity that's a Glastonbury regular I keep them firmly offline on the off chance I meet them and they then invite me to come to the festival with them only to find my past transgressions against them and rescind the invite. Welcome to my brain !

I'd like to add I'm actually now trying to just not be negative about people at all for the sheer positivity of it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, clarkete said:

I'm not even a fan and I left part way through as my feelings were confirmed (I think before they did the few songs I like) 🤣

That's the beauty of the festival though, you just go elsewhere and find something up your street, which is what I did. 

Anyone with any sense was up at The Park to witness the pure joy of The Flaming Lips set.

• Upvote 3

46 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

They should have fewer, larger stages and pay the performers more.

The variety is the best bit of Glastonbury. Keep the multiple small venues, but yes, pay performers better. Can you figure out the economics of that please Stu? 

1 minute ago, blutarsky said:

The variety is the best bit of Glastonbury. Keep the multiple small venues, but yes, pay performers better. Can you figure out the economics of that please Stu? 

They can remove loads of venues and still have the same amount of musical diversity, just with fewer acts. There are fucking loads of stages. I mean loads and loads and loads. No need for quite so many.

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

They can remove loads of venues and still have the same amount of musical diversity, just with fewer acts. There are fucking loads of stages. I mean loads and loads and loads. No need for quite so many.

MORE IS BETTER 😂 

28 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

The funny thing is - most of the performers in approximately speaking the bottom third of the bill are paid with tickets, and a lot of the smaller stages aren't actually given a budget by the festival - the economics at that level are often that the festival gives them the space and a certain number of wristbands, then they cover their costs by having a Cafe or whatever alongside the stage.

Removing the smallest stages would free up approximately £0 for the larger stages.

8 hours ago, DirtyLurker said:

You turned around before you got to the top, didn’t you? 😉