Your most controversial Glastonbury opinions

Deaf Nobby Burton

7 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

Enjoy. Even if you're not a massive fan of their music, their live set is always worth watching.

I'm not a massive fan - but that's what festivals are for, seeing people I wouldn't normally see, and maybe finding new favourites.

4 hours ago, Scrump said:

I'd like to add I'm actually now trying to just not be negative about people at all for the sheer positivity of it.

I tend to agree.  In my own notes on bands, artists etc I might be quite blunt and say things like "generic, singer/guitarist", "whiney, nasal voice" or "sounds flat".  Or worse.  But I don't say this publicly as I always think that the person may google themselves and find it and be hurt.  Especially up and coming acts.  So I might say something like "not my thing" about them but that's it.  

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, incident said:

The funny thing is - most of the performers in approximately speaking the bottom third of the bill are paid with tickets, and a lot of the smaller stages aren't actually given a budget by the festival - the economics at that level are often that the festival gives them the space and a certain number of wristbands, then they cover their costs by having a Cafe or whatever alongside the stage.

Removing the smallest stages would free up approximately £0 for the larger stages.

That's a point. I'm not convinced it's zero though, because those wristbands could be potentially converted into tickets, but I still take your point, it's not a lot of money involved.

17 minutes ago, Beerqueen said:

I tend to agree.  In my own notes on bands, artists etc I might be quite blunt and say things like "generic, singer/guitarist", "whiney, nasal voice" or "sounds flat".  Or worse.  But I don't say this publicly as I always think that the person may google themselves and find it and be hurt.  Especially up and coming acts.  So I might say something like "not my thing" about them but that's it.  

Well worth remembering. We aren't actually having a chat in the pub when we post on here - we're publishing to a global platform. That may sound ridiculously grandiose, but it's actually true.  And every time I try to research something for a post on this forum, Google invariably points me back to eFests.

6 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Well worth remembering. We aren't actually having a chat in the pub when we post on here - we're publishing to a global platform. That may sound ridiculously grandiose, but it's actually true.  And every time I try to research something for a post on this forum, Google invariably points me back to eFests.

Yes exactly - I've found the same.   And imagine being New Young Singer with a Guitar who has got a booking in a small tent at Glasto and is incredibly excited and one night after a few bevvies can't resist googling myself to see what the buzz is about me now I've got this booking.  And finding a post from Beerqueen saying "Boring, generic singer guitarist with a not particularly good voice, will be elsewhere".  Soul destroying and unnecessary.

If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all.

Boris Johnson excepted of course.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Beerqueen said:

Yes exactly - I've found the same.   And imagine being New Young Singer with a Guitar who has got a booking in a small tent at Glasto and is incredibly excited and one night after a few bevvies can't resist googling myself to see what the buzz is about me now I've got this booking.  And finding a post from Beerqueen saying "Boring, generic singer guitarist with a not particularly good voice, will be elsewhere".  Soul destroying and unnecessary.

If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all.

Boris Johnson excepted of course.

But I can still call the singer of c******y a c**t in the pub, right?

1 hour ago, Punksnotdead said:

Anyone with any sense was up at The Park to witness the pure joy of The Flaming Lips set.

That is exactly where I went and it was great 😊

1 hour ago, blutarsky said:

The variety is the best bit of Glastonbury. Keep the multiple small venues, but yes, pay performers better. 

It's about time someone did the "give less money to good causes and make glasto more capitalist" controversial opinion, although tbh I'd have expected one of those "characters" who thrive on downvotes to say it. 

1 minute ago, clarkete said:

That is exactly where I went and it was great 😊

It's about time someone did the "give less money to good causes and make glasto more capitalist" controversial opinion, although tbh I'd have expected one of those "characters" who thrive on downvotes to say it. 

I don't think it would work anyway, one of the reasons that underpaying performers isn't seen as some massive scam, where they're abusing their market position is because of the charity payment. And that feeds into Glastonbury just being a massive party that many are happy to just be a part of. Take away the charitable aspect and it all starts to fall apart.

As Michael says, even though they're run as a business, they're not "one of the commercial festivals" and that's why he can't afford to pay like the others.

It's a really, really unique position that's incredible they've been able to sustain it for so long. It's all based on goodwill.

36 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I don't think it would work anyway, one of the reasons that underpaying performers isn't seen as some massive scam, where they're abusing their market position is because of the charity payment. And that feeds into Glastonbury just being a massive party that many are happy to just be a part of. Take away the charitable aspect and it all starts to fall apart.

As Michael says, even though they're run as a business, they're not "one of the commercial festivals" and that's why he can't afford to pay like the others.

It's a really, really unique position that's incredible they've been able to sustain it for so long. It's all based on goodwill.

That's great that it keeps it together and hopefully ensures some protection for their integrity 

47 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Actually, here's a controversial opinion, Chris Martin was only ever annoying when he was knocking about with Gwyneth Paltrow. He was sound before that and is sound now. 

A few years ago, one of those lovely sunny days where lots of people were walking about in the market areas. I sat on the bench at the meeting point near William's Green eating some food. Chris Martin was sitting next to us feeding chips to his little daughter Apple. I liked him being there amongst the rest of the crowd and of course secretly hoped that he was being naughty in letting her have chips 😉

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

But I can still call the singer of c******y a c**t in the pub, right?

Actually I've got the transcript of your last 3 weeks worth of pub conversations and we need to have a word...

51 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

To follow on from this, all of which is true & I'm a big supporter of 'pay artists' there is little said about the networking potential at the festival for artists. There are countless examples of acts over the years that have either traded off playing G, or otherwise boosted sales or tour opportunities, not to mention the collaborations and industry connections that can be made in person behind the scenes for the entrepreneurial artists that lead to bigger things. 

Yes the festival runs on a lot of good grace to operate how it does but when it has the position of pretty much 'music industry Christmas' the value in playing for less (at every level) is more than recognised. If the festival stopped offering that 'convention' type offering, I'm sure the economics would change.

7 minutes ago, clarkete said:

A few years ago, one of those lovely sunny days where lots of people were walking about in the market areas. I sat on the bench at the meeting point near William's Green eating some food. Chris Martin was sitting next to us feeding chips to his little daughter Apple. I liked him being there amongst the rest of the crowd and of course secretly hoped that he was being naughty in letting her have chips 😉

Absolutely love this. So nice to see those at the top in a simply human moment!

Only celebrity spots I've had was seeing Phil Jupitus at the Avalon bar after coming off stage at words and poetry and Lembit Opik at the Other stage for [insert generic indie band here] shortly after he had become ...unemployed.

• Upvote 1

People on here have some strange ideas about what constitutes glamping, even if you do think a campervan with no toilet, no hot water and a kitchen that fisher price would be embarrassed to put their names to does constitute glamping, sitting in a modern waterproof tent, with clean fresh water in abundance, a wild variety of fine, clean safe food to chose from, copious amounts of alcohol to indulge in, and your only worry is will I make it from the pyramid stage to Avalon in time to catch some tonedeaf warbler is not exactly hardcore camping, nobody is shooting at you, you haven’t been driven from your home by war or famine, you aren’t more worthy because you are in a tent, it’s just different that’s all. The people in the CV fields are just normal people, they aren’t all pig fucking toffs out to spoil the festival, just normal people. They even manage to leave behind mountain of rubbish and camping equipment they can’t be bothered to pack away, just like everyone else.

( I will concede the flood in 2005 was pretty hardcore for those caught up in it)

Edited by Smeble

25 minutes ago, Beaver89 said:

Absolutely love this. So nice to see those at the top in a simply human moment!

Only celebrity spots I've had was seeing Phil Jupitus at the Avalon bar after coming off stage at words and poetry and Lembit Opik at the Other stage for [insert generic indie band here] shortly after he had become ...unemployed.

I never spot famous people at Glastonbury, latitude however is a different matter, sat on a bench to eat some chips and said hello to the guy on the other end who turned out to be Mark Kermode, literally bumped into Jason Issacs as he was walking around with his family, and had a brief chat  with a guy about the hats we were both looking at on a stall and only as he left did I realise it was Richard Curtis.

closest I’ve come to famous at G was standing near a guy who I’m 90% sure was Mark Webber, the F1 driver, and a guy who I’m 90% sure wasn’t David Beckham despite being the absolute spitting image of him, the woman and child he was with were not Posh and Brooklyn. Oh and I have seen that bloke from Homes under the Hammer, but he doesn’t count, everyone sees him.

14 minutes ago, Smeble said:

People on here have some strange ideas about what constitutes glamping, even if you do think a campervan with no toilet, no hot water and a kitchen that fisher price would be embarrassed to put their names to does constitute glamping, sitting in a modern waterproof tent, with clean fresh water in abundance, a wild variety of fine, clean safe food to chose from, copious amounts of alcohol to indulge in, and your only worry is will I make it from the pyramid stage to Avalon in time to catch some tonedeaf warbler is not exactly hardcore camping, nobody is shooting at you, you haven’t been driven from your home by war or famine, you aren’t more worthy because you are in a tent, it’s just different that’s all. The people in the CV fields are just normal people, they aren’t all pig fucking toffs out to spoil the festival, just normal people. They even manage to leave behind mountain of rubbish and camping equipment they can’t be bothered to pack away, just like everyone else.

( I will concede the flood in 2005 was pretty hardcore for those caught up in it)

Not sure how you come to the conclusion that we on here think being in a campervan is glamping, were just at a festival in a campervan. You seem to be ranting for absolutely no reason ?

20 minutes ago, Smeble said:

I never spot famous people at Glastonbury, latitude however is a different matter, sat on a bench to eat some chips and said hello to the guy on the other end who turned out to be Mark Kermode, literally bumped into Jason Issacs as he was walking around with his family, and had a brief chat  with a guy about the hats we were both looking at on a stall and only as he left did I realise it was Richard Curtis.

closest I’ve come to famous at G was standing near a guy who I’m 90% sure was Mark Webber, the F1 driver, and a guy who I’m 90% sure wasn’t David Beckham despite being the absolute spitting image of him, the woman and child he was with were not Posh and Brooklyn. Oh and I have seen that bloke from Homes under the Hammer, but he doesn’t count, everyone sees him.

You've reminded me that we got accosted by the welsh guitarist from Pendulum in 2011 who needed help getting back to the Pyramid back stage after the Sub Focus headline set on Sonic (we had dropped by after Kool and the Gang). He latched onto us singing dirty versions of bohemian rhapsody and being otherwise affable albeit off his face. We got him back to the path to where he needed to be and sent him on his way. He invited us but it being Sunday and a fallow the next year we were all just wanting to enjoy our last hours by ourselves. I wonder if we could have ended up sharing a beer with Jay Z even now (obviously not).

Have been sat across form Richard Curtis in an airport lounge once as it happens. He doesn't strike me as a festival type.

21 hours ago, zico martin said:

Yeah I thought the lack of live film of the band on the big screen was a pile of crap tbh

This might have been our problem.  We were way back on the hill and a bit tired.  With the lack of atmosphere I guess we could have chosen to make our way forward but instead opted to beat the queues to the SE corner

9 hours ago, Smeble said:

Same goes for worthyview/sticklinch - or even more so. it’s not like they are clad with Egyptian cotton with full bedding and kitchen facilities.  All you get is a tent in a quiet area and the use of some showers.

2 hours ago, siblin said:

Same goes for worthyview/sticklinch - or even more so. it’s not like they are clad with Egyptian cotton with full bedding and kitchen facilities.  All you get is a tent in a quiet area and the use of some showers.

I think we're still waiting for confirmation of those showers at Sticklinch 😉

On 4/15/2022 at 9:41 AM, Melm00 said:

I don't fit in at The Park. I'm a grey haired 46 year old. This year will be my 16th Glastonbury & while I like The Park I feel like all the young beautiful people are there & I feel like a tourist. I also feel like everyone's mum. (It's also what makes Glastonbury so good -  accommodating everyone's tastes, not staying the same, constantly changing). 

I’m 60 this year. I’ve never felt like a tourist and I’ll be at The Park a lot. Hope that makes you feel better.

Mostly, younger people ask me who to go and see and make room for me if they’re moshing!

Controversial opinions?

- The Stones were mediocre at best. 

- Main stages sound awful

- SE corner isn’t as good as it used to be. (Maybe I’m too old…)

- Flags are selfish and should be banned