The Weather Thread 2023

tazbang

8 hours ago, diamondjoe said:

I was at both those festivals and had piles the size of Grapefruits in 2016. Barely made it through. Horrible experience I have to say. Told myself I'm never coming back. Then went in 2017 and last year and lucked out both times. 

Also discovered suppositories for the Nobby styles. 

The festival is a different animal in the mud. 

Why are piles at Glastonbury a thing? Is it all the walking/Dehydration?  

So I managed to keep the promise to myself that I would NOT obsess about weather until 4 weeks before the festival!  First time in this thread this year and been avoiding forecasts etc.  Had a good long look this morning and all long term forecasts say.....

SCORCHIOOOO!!!

15 hours ago, MgH97 said:

How often do the VERY muddy ones happen? Is there a pattern as such

Rarely.  Of the ones I've attended, 2011 was very wet, but had dried out by Saturday evening and was sunny/trainers come Sunday.  2016 was a swamp before we even arrived but only really had showers on the weekend itself.  2010, 2019, 2022 all glorious.  The rest mainly dry.

10 hours ago, Suprefan said:

Yeah I dont think anyone was having fun in 2019 when they shut off the water. 

Overall it  just needs to be balanced. Some sun, some clouds and some rain to keep the dust down and the temps even. You dont want 5 days straight of 30 degrees with blazing sun and no wind.

Yes I fucking do!  2010/2019 were like this and I loved it.

5 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

So I managed to keep the promise to myself that I would NOT obsess about weather until 4 weeks before the festival! 

Congratulations on your willpower. Now to strap in and enjoy the rollercoaster we've got ahead of us!

16 hours ago, MgH97 said:

How often do the VERY muddy ones happen? Is there a pattern as such

None whatsoever.  Years like 2016 happened because of the sheer amount of rain that happened in the weeks before the festival. Years like '07 were muddy because something like 60mm of rain fell in a day.

The good news is that with May's weather being pretty good and the outlook for early June being mostly dry (so far), it reduces the chance of a repeat of 2016's ground conditions.

In about 2 weeks, we'll be starting to get a picture of what weather we're likely to get but even then, it can change dramatically right up until the day of the festival.

5 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Definitely Sunday up by the Park, t shirts had to come in a few times.

Sunday was chilly compared to the Wed-Fri and had to swap my shorts for jeans but by that point, it was a welcome change from the oppressive heat

6 hours ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

So I managed to keep the promise to myself that I would NOT obsess about weather until 4 weeks before the festival!  First time in this thread this year and been avoiding forecasts etc.  Had a good long look this morning and all long term forecasts say.....

SCORCHIOOOO!!!

Rarely.  Of the ones I've attended, 2011 was very wet, but had dried out by Saturday evening and was sunny/trainers come Sunday.  2016 was a swamp before we even arrived but only really had showers on the weekend itself.  2010, 2019, 2022 all glorious.  The rest mainly dry.

Yes I fucking do!  2010/2019 were like this and I loved it.

Now we’re fucking talking sense!!! 

Don’t bring even a fucking watering cans full of water anywhere near that fucking farm. 

2010 All over again. 

5 hours ago, BambooShanks said:

Congratulations on your willpower. Now to strap in and enjoy the rollercoaster we've got ahead of us!

None whatsoever.  Years like 2016 happened because of the sheer amount of rain that happened in the weeks before the festival. Years like '07 were muddy because something like 60mm of rain fell in a day.

The good news is that with May's weather being pretty good and the outlook for early June being mostly dry (so far), it reduces the chance of a repeat of 2016's ground conditions.

In about 2 weeks, we'll be starting to get a picture of what weather we're likely to get but even then, it can change dramatically right up until the day of the festival.

Sunday was chilly compared to the Wed-Fri and had to swap my shorts for jeans but by that point, it was a welcome change from the oppressive heat

2007 was not only biblical rain but also cold. The combination of both made it the worst one I’ve been too. 

2004/5 were wet but not cold which can make the difference. 

Oh dear. This is not good. Seems its peaking too early!

https://www.bbc.com/weather/outlook

Monday 5 June to – Sunday 18 June

Rather dry for a while but getting wetter later

By mid-June, there are signs that high pressure will start to drift away west and north-westwards, with England and Wales having increasing chances of some showery or thundery outbreaks of rain developing.

If high pressure weakens more quickly, these could become more widespread across the UK by the middle of the month.

Shit!

Metcheck also saying the same

https://www.metcheck.com/SEASONAL/next_month_forecast.asp

But rain is expected to return for the end of the month and also turning cooler.

FUCK!

Edited by The Nal

11 minutes ago, The Nal said:

By mid-June, there are signs that high pressure will start to drift away west and north-westwards, with England and Wales having increasing chances of some showery or thundery outbreaks of rain developing.

If high pressure weakens more quickly, these could become more widespread across the UK by the middle of the month.

Shit!

But rain is expected to return for the end of the month and also turning cooler.

FUCK!

I love it when the forecast looks rubbish this far out. We know how changeable English weather is so it's guaranteed to do the exact opposite. So thanks for this, I now KNOW its going to be sunshine 🌞 

23 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Shit!

FUCK!

Never forget the Pilton force field and the Azores finger. In these things we trust.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Shit!

FUCK!

Stop it 😂

16 minutes ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

I love it when the forecast looks rubbish this far out. We know how changeable English weather is so it's guaranteed to do the exact opposite. So thanks for this, I now KNOW its going to be sunshine 🌞 

Ooooi reverse psychology on The Nal, brave. I like it 💪😂

• Like 1

Love the Weather Thread! 🙂

To put it into perspective though... I made a note of the AccuWeather forecast every day from 10 days before gates opened last year.  For the first six days, it said that every day of the festival would be sunny (yay!).  After that, it got progressively worse each day, and by the Tuesday (ie day before gates opened) it was predicting rain for Thurs, Fri, Sat and Sun!  In the end, there was a very brief light shower on the Friday late afternoon. And another brief light shower early on the Sunday morning.  None of this called for walking boots, let alone wellies.  There might have been one other light shower at some point, but it only hit part of the site.

Anyway... none of that will stop me from freaking out every time I see a bad forecast between now and the end of June! 😂

4 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

I’ve always liked Metcheck. Little bit of drizzle on the Wednesday is fine. 

Forget the historical charts. Read the live forecast!

An unsettled start to June as the European monsoon season is expected to start on time this year. An improving picture through the month as ridges of high pressure from the Azores become a little more frequent, but rain is expected to return for the end of the month and also turning cooler.

Metcast with a similar forecast

https://www.metcast.co.uk/long-range-forecast/

Thursday 8 June - Thursday 22 June:

Through this period there is an increasing likelihood that unsettled conditions will slowly begin to extend northward across the UK from the south, with some heavy, thundery showers and longer spells of rain possible. 

Low pressure. SHIT!