Football 2022/23

charlierc

19 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

Pretty sure it’s expired at Aldershot now. We were told a lease to redevelop would happen in a few weeks in 2018…

redevelopment as an upgraded stadium is unlikely to upset the council., selling it for housing would be a big no-no that was always the worry when selling the stadium to the footie club.

have they knocked down the horrid pub over the road yet, not been that way for  a few years, my mum has moved to the top of town now, so i don't get around the stadium area as much as i did.

how's life for you in Gloucestershire?

Edited by Neil

As a kid I supported Bristol Rovers (you did if you came from the north side of the city - those in the south supported Bristol City).  And the Rover's ground, Eastville Stadium was sold off to become a retail park.

2 hours ago, Neil said:

redevelopment as an upgraded stadium is unlikely to upset the council., selling it for housing would be a big no-no that was always the worry when selling the stadium to the footie club.

have they knocked down the horrid pub over the road yet, not been that way for  a few years, my mum has moved to the top of town now, so i don't get around the stadium area as much as i did.

how's life for you in Gloucestershire?

The Crimea is still there and not so rough now. It’s fine really - but the passion has been sucked out of our more ‘excitable’ fan base element.

I still live in Aldershot but am at the in-laws for the weekend in Gloucester.

3 hours ago, grumpyhack said:

As a kid I supported Bristol Rovers (you did if you came from the north side of the city - those in the south supported Bristol City).  And the Rover's ground, Eastville Stadium was sold off to become a retail park.

Pretty sure I heard this also happened to Brighton with their old ground, necessitating a few years in exile in Gillingham before the much-hated Withdean Stadium years.

3 hours ago, grumpyhack said:

And the Rover's ground, Eastville Stadium was sold off to become a retail park.

very handy for my weekly shop. part of it remains as 'gas alley', down the side of the black swan on stapleton road.

Edited by Neil

I'm not sure what to make of Liverpool v Man City later. Could either be the day where Liverpool rise to the occasion in a way that's been lacking at times this year, or Haaland just wipes the floor with Van Dijk. Be a fascinating little watch either way.

It's a different vibe for Newcastle - somehow I suspect that even with £200M+ of new signings that Old Trafford, for now, might well continue to be a place that is not a happy hunting ground, given the misfire at the similarly difficult-to-go Anfield in August and the Toon's only wins there since the 1970s have been against the Moyes Man Utd misfire and in back-to-back FA Cup semis in the late 90s against teams not called Manchester United. Still, I think on paper that might be a better game than Villa v Chelsea, which Sky chose instead.

1 hour ago, charlierc said:

I'm not sure what to make of Liverpool v Man City later. Could either be the day where Liverpool rise to the occasion in a way that's been lacking at times this year, or Haaland just wipes the floor with Van Dijk. Be a fascinating little watch either way.

It's a different vibe for Newcastle - somehow I suspect that even with £200M+ of new signings that Old Trafford, for now, might well continue to be a place that is not a happy hunting ground, given the misfire at the similarly difficult-to-go Anfield in August and the Toon's only wins there since the 1970s have been against the Moyes Man Utd misfire and in back-to-back FA Cup semis in the late 90s against teams not called Manchester United. Still, I think on paper that might be a better game than Villa v Chelsea, which Sky chose instead.

Man United dropping Rashford helps your cause considerably!

2 hours ago, charlierc said:

It's going to be about 8-0 to Man City.

Looks like Konate is injured.

12 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

It's going to be about 8-0 to Man City.

Looks like Konate is injured.

I doubt the gap between Liverpool & Man City right now is as vast as it was between Rangers and Liverpool the other day. Even if Man City will likely feel more confident about this trip to Anfield than multiple previous journeys west.

Just now, charlierc said:

I doubt the gap between Liverpool & Man City right now is as vast as it was between Rangers and Liverpool the other day. Even if Man City will likely feel more confident about this trip to Anfield than multiple previous journeys west.

Choices - Gomez at RB and Phillips at CB - battered by Haaland

Gomez at CB and Milner at RB - CB battered by Haaland, RB destroyed by Foden

5 hours ago, Skip997 said:

Choices - Gomez at RB and Phillips at CB - battered by Haaland

Gomez at CB and Milner at RB - CB battered by Haaland, RB destroyed by Foden

Well, Milner RB and Gomez CB worked out a lot better than it looked on paper.

In fairness had the Foden goal stood (correct call to chalk it off imo), you're talking about a very different proposition indeed.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Skip997 said:

Need to start playing like that for the rest of the season.

Maybe not play the way we did, but the players should be fighting for every single point like that for the rest of the season.

Same goes for the atmosphere - been dire all season at Anfield but was rocking yesterday for the first time in a good while.