Football 2022/23

charlierc

40 minutes ago, charlierc said:

On a tangentially related note, I did note BBC One is taking a break from the World Cup today to show 2 FA Cup Second Round ties instead, with ITV doing likewise tomorrow.

Imagine the complaints from people who dislike football if this was still an age when that was your lot for TV viewing options.

Don't forget Wrexham v Farnborough on s4c at 3:15!

4 hours ago, charlierc said:

On a tangentially related note, I did note BBC One is taking a break from the World Cup today to show 2 FA Cup Second Round ties instead, with ITV doing likewise tomorrow.

Imagine the complaints from people who dislike football if this was still an age when that was your lot for TV viewing options.

There's a Scottish cup game on Monday night as well. FOOTBALL BONANZA!

8 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

Shots beat Southend with our youth coach still in charge. Our chairman is a Scrooge-like miser so is giving him every opportunity to take on the job so we can save money.

Looks like your form has picked up a bit, I had you certs to go down. Even now I look at the bottom 4 and assume the likes of Torquay, Oldham and Sc**thorpe will get it together, but maybe they won't 

41 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Looks like your form has picked up a bit, I had you certs to go down. Even now I look at the bottom 4 and assume the likes of Torquay, Oldham and Sc**thorpe will get it together, but maybe they won't 

We’re not great (and we’ve had far too many lucky escapes thanks to other teams’ ineptitude in recent years) but we might just have enough to stay up this season. Could be a gamble with this manager but so far he’s winning as many as he loses (although the 6-1 tonking at Torquay and one home loss v Maidenhead were apparently as bad as can be). Our young players are starting to click but we are light in midfield and our full backs - who have no cover - are much better going forward.

8 hours ago, Comfy Bean said:

I’ll be at that one. Not expecting a shock but I said that a few years ago up at Auchinleck 🤦‍♂️

I actually remember that game being on the BBC while I was in work.

We rarely got shocked with Duffy at the helm, and we went to Spartans a while back and I was super confident. It ended badly.

21 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

Most the games have been really close.   I think despite some low scores I don't think games have been boring.  I think footballing standards in some of the smaller footballing nations have really come on making games much more difficult.  

Most of the games have had some level of interest. I found the England v USA game dull, but have missed some of the games that had poor reviews. I wonder if the heat is acting as a leveler. Assuming Wales don't go through, I hope Iran join England. Full of respect for how they were willing to risk consequences by protesting, when Wales and England just folded.

4 hours ago, The Nal said:

Great result for Germany. If Japan won Germany were in big trouble. 

They're not out of the woods yet but a draw is a springboard for Germany to get to 4 points, particularly if Japan have no luck against the Spanish, and chances are that could well be enough.

Well unless they choke against Costa Rica, anyway.

Edited by charlierc

56 minutes ago, charlierc said:

They're not out of the woods yet but a draw is a springboard for Germany to get to 4 points, particularly if Japan have no luck against the Spanish, and chances are that could well be enough.

Well unless they choke against Costa Rica, anyway.

I think it may end up being Spain reserves with the goal difference the way it is, however it's a big ask for Japan to get a win. I suspect Germany will put a few past Costa Rica.

Its funny the commentator on 5live called Japan beating Costa Rica a huge shock i think that stretches the definition of huge shock!