Football 2022/23

charlierc

8 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Best team lost lol

France looked very average 

But you have to take your chances 

I thought it was a 50/50 game. The team who took their chances won. France have been ravaged by injuries in this world cup and you have to give them credit for getting through.

I don't think Southgate got his subs right. I thought Saka was terrifying France.

3 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I thought it was a 50/50 game. The team who took their chances won. France have been ravaged by injuries in this world cup and you have to give them credit for getting through.

I don't think Southgate got his subs right. I thought Saka was terrifying France.

Yeah, keep him on and take Kane off.

33 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Yeah that was odd but also compounded by putting on Sterling, who had been away for most of the week and I'm guessing might have been affected by what sounds like something rough in his personal life.

At the end of the day, it was a good attempt that would've prevailed with a little more luck. Kept Mbappe quiet but they had the others to step up when it mattered most.

Guess its their turn to figure out how to crack the Morocco puzzle.

45 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

If I was nit picking I would of brought Rashford on over Sterling but I think overall it didn't make any difference.

France have dangerous match winners and they took their chances and we didn't. Simple as that 

For all the hype around stopping Mbappe being the key to stopping France, England did keep him quiet only for others to step up. Griezmann was somebody I thought was over the hill, yet two assists from him says there's life in his legs yet, Giroud is still a threat, Tchouameni scored a fine hit (even if he gave away the penalty), etc. Even with so many players injured, they've still got great players.

Though yeah - I'm surprised Rashford was chosen over Sterling, even if that was in the aftermath of the French second goal so was always a reactive sub.

56 minutes ago, charlierc said:

At the end of the day, it was a good attempt that would've prevailed with a little more luck.

I think England had uck. They have been lucky with injuries pre and during the tournament. In contrast to their opponents who have lost loads of players. The reason France only brought one one sub is they didn't really have anyone on the bench. With Morocco waiting and not a great opponent on the other half I think they blew it and don't get this glorious failure narrative.

While Southgate is undoubtedly a nice bloke. I think his results have been largely down to England getting better players at the same time as others have got worse (which is nothing to do with him) and a home tournament. Just like Sven he hasnt beaten anyone in a knockout that you wouldn't expect. I don't see from a tactical perspective what he brings, it was a world cup there to be won. He is lucky there is no obvious replacement.

3 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Load of crap that and usual spouted bollocks.  He has made England a force to be dealt with.  Today could of gone either way.  

I dont think he has made England a force to be dealt with. I think investment in grass root football and better players have done that. He has beaten teams you would expect them to beat and not beaten the harder teams. Germany at home was his best win, they got knocked out of the group stages in the world cup either side.

7 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Pathetic to be frank to be attacking a man who had great a great amount of input around that investment in the setup  including managing the under 21s, who then managed us to world cup semi final, euro final and a world cup quarter final which could of been more if it wasn't for a missed penalty.  Give your head a wobble.

Not sure what you think he could have done differently today to get a different outcome.  

I'm not attacking him. I think he has got par results similar to Sven. I would keep him on because there isn't an obvious replacement.

For all your talk about achievement. You can't name a great victory during his reign, there hasn't been one. I don't think he is particularly tactically strong. I think he is a nice guy, doesn't fall out with player and good with the media. All important attributes, but in terms of attainment they are beating teams you would expect and then going out. I see it as a performance and you ask yourself is par good enough, maybe it is.

In 3 tournaments they have beaten the teams you would expect and lost 3 50/50 games when they have come across someone decent, although none of the 3 were world beaters. I'm not sure you can say losing 3 50/50 games is just luck. I think WC22 and Euro 20 were both there to be won. WC 18 they would likely have been slaughtered in the final.