Football 2022/23

charlierc

3 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

I think the premiership could potentially ruin the competition at champions league level, the fact we have had 2 all premiership finals in recent years is worrying.

What worries me more is Americans taking over enough teams to get a voting bloc and changing the rules to  make it a closed shop. 

2 hours ago, charlierc said:

Could go either way. The uproar over the European Super League forcing various American club owners into a climbdown means there's every possibility it could be resisted, but the cosy relationship between the top six that lead to more revenue being hoarded by them means that it could spiral that way too.

As for the UCL, it's a curious one. We had a phase of La Liga being a dominant force for much of the 2010's, but their star seems to be fading. As agreed though, it's bad for the variety of the competition (along with the Europa League) if we suddenly get a stream of all-English finals.

In the last 10 years, there's also been 2 all Spanish finals the same as  England.

They've also been more Spanish teams in the finals over the last 10 years, than England. 

Edited by thetime

20 hours ago, thetime said:

In the last 10 years, there's also been 2 all Spanish finals the same as  England.

They've also been more Spanish teams in the finals over the last 10 years, than England. 

It's mainly Spanish football who seem to be doing these protests tbf, given La Liga President Javier Tebas routinely slags off the Premier League as a financially unsustainable division distorting European football, and it was Real Madrid and Barcelona who seem to have taken the lead on the failed Super League proposals (with Atletico along for the ride, although they quit when the PL clubs they'd signed up did).

As I said though, La Liga seems in an odd place given Barca and Real seem inferior to their 2010-18 selves but their financial advantage and several club's being dysfunctional (Sevilla in the bottom 3, for one example) means they're still likelier than not to win it.

20 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64355497

Maybe I'm being a bit naive here but I can't fathom why any club, especially one the size of Juve, would attempt something like this? It's not even like they've tried to do something really clever/elaborate, mad.

There could still be parts of this story yet to be resolved, given that Juventus are appealing while the Italian FA apparently has a separate investigation into Juventus' management of covid pandemic-induced wage deferrals ongoing, and UEFA has their own investigation into Juventus' behaviour ongoing, to say nothing of the fact other clubs who either dealt with this model or copied it might get dragged in.

Seems not a million miles away from the dubious accounting Mel Morris was doing at Derby County, which didn't exactly end well either. Andrea Agnelli did a lot right but looks to have got first his goal of winning the Champions League then creating the European Super League get to his head.

47 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Lampard is still in a job. Arsenal and Liverpool next.

Still two weeks until the first of those two games. Time for their board to make a call one way or the other.

Though it's probably not hard to see their board making the wrong call whatever happens, given Everton just seem on one of those spirals at the minute.

1 hour ago, The Nal said:

Lampard is still in a job. 

Not sure how manager compensation affects FFP. From what I've read they need a £35m profit this year after narrowly avoiding punishment from the Richarlison sale last year. Suggestions that's why Pickford's new contract has been pulled. He'll be off the Spurs or Man Utd.

Edited by lost

3 minutes ago, lost said:

Not sure how manager compensation affects FFP. From what I've read they need a £35m profit this year after narrowly avoiding punishment from the Richarlison sale last year. Suggestions that's why Pickford's new contract has been pulled. He'll be off the Spurs or Man Utd.

I could see why spurs would be looking to change keeper with Lorie getting on. I am not convinced Pickford is an upgrade on De Gea though.

20 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I could see why spurs would be looking to change keeper with Lorie getting on. I am not convinced Pickford is an upgrade on De Gea though.

Given Lloris had a number of odd errors last season, I thought Spurs might use the summer just gone to bring in a replacement, but instead he's carried on and if anything seems to be getting worse. Not sure Fraser Forster made a great impression as Spurs' number 2 either. Given Pickford seems to be one of the Everton players with high resale value and had an alright World Cup, I can see that.

1 hour ago, The Nal said:

Yeah remember all the "Juve have a great transfer policy" chat a few years ago?

I think that chat got us up to the point where they blew 100 million Euros on Cristiano Ronaldo in 2018, making him the most expensive player over the age of 30 and bringing in a player whose approach was at odds with seemingly what all the managers he had at Juventus wanted to do.

Edited by charlierc

2 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

Quite something that the two teams that produced one the the great FA Cup finals only 8 months ago both managed to look so pedestrian on Saturday. Amazing how quickly things can turn round.

Big month for Liverpool next month, a lot of tricky games. 10 points of 4th and real madrid looming.

Edited by thetime

3 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

Who would take the Everton job right now? Other than bung taker and cabbage face?

Starting too late to make a squad assessment and signings while dealing with that board has to be a very unappealing job prospect.

Early favourite is Marcelo Bielsa looking at some reports and Twitter. Would be surprised if Allardyce given he's already had a go and apparently doesn't like returning to prior clubs (he said he turned down Newcastle when Benitez left for that reason) while this thread's former argument starter Steve Bruce is saying he's retired after WBA sacked him. Though Everton sounds like the kinda job that he'd reconsider that stance for.

Weirdly Everton only put out the statement to confirm his dismissal half an hour ago, a full 4/5 hours after pretty much every news website and TV station was saying it was done. Not the biggest thing wrong there, but it's certainly not the best of signs.

7 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

Quite something that the two teams that produced one the the great FA Cup finals only 8 months ago both managed to look so pedestrian on Saturday. Amazing how quickly things can turn round.

Conversely quite something to see Arsenal and Manchester United go as quickly from producing a few consequence-free games to producing a game of the season contender yesterday.

7 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

One of the great FA cup finals? Is there a bit of recency bias there.

It's what people were calling it at the time. Whether or not it was, I don't know, probably not. The quality of the play was certainly up there but it was no 1986.

26 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Who called it that? I can’t remember anything about it. I’m not even sure it’s the best of the last 2.

I can't remember, I remember it being spouted at the time and raising an eyebrow. It was a superb game anyway, loads of chances, end to end. The opposite of the match on Saturday. 

1 hour ago, charlierc said:

Early favourite is Marcelo Bielsa looking at some reports and Twitter. Would be surprised if Allardyce given he's already had a go and apparently doesn't like returning to prior clubs (he said he turned down Newcastle when Benitez left for that reason) while this thread's former argument starter Steve Bruce is saying he's retired after WBA sacked him. Though Everton sounds like the kinda job that he'd reconsider that stance for.

Weirdly Everton only put out the statement to confirm his dismissal half an hour ago, a full 4/5 hours after pretty much every news website and TV station was saying it was done. Not the biggest thing wrong there, but it's certainly not the best of signs.

They don't deserve Bielsa. High entertainment potential, but I think he'd prefer starting with a close season.

Fat Sam and cabbage face say they don't want a job/are retired all the time. I don't believe a word of it.

Edited by kaosmark2