LAWKS! It's the next announcement thread

jparx

1 hour ago, bennyhana22 said:

I expect it to be full on, peak time techno at high 130s-140bpm. KI/KI has a YT set that will give you a good idea: look for 5hrs of Acid. 

Ben

Good recommendation, I'm enjoying that set!

5 hours ago, kugglaw said:

Now that the lineup is out, I’d love to hear people’s thoughts and theories on why it’s somewhat disappointing compared to the previous two years. 

could it be they overspent on Elton and are trying to claw themselves back into the black?

13 minutes ago, kugglaw said:

This explains so much, I reckon. Feasible answer to any “why aren’t X playing?” from whiners like me. 

Id imagine its the same for loads of smaller bands. Bands youd see at Greenman, psych festivals etc. 

15 minutes ago, goldfishboy said:

could it be they overspent on Elton and are trying to claw themselves back into the black?

Could just be timing imo, as in a lot of high-end Pyramid non-headline acts just aren't touring in June or busy elsewhere.

Well, after a busy day at work only just getting to digest all this.

Totally gutted that my Sunday must-sees clash, James vs The Scratch. Really frustrated with that one!
Otherwise not too bad for clashes from a first check over. Definitely more than enough to do overall, and mostly dotted around all over the site with no pyramid headliners. 

1 minute ago, charlierc said:

Could just be timing imo, as in a lot of high-end Pyramid non-headline acts just aren't touring in June or busy elsewhere.

Let's face it, if they'd got Madonna (as reliably rumoured) there'd probably be very few complaints about the line-up.  After Macca, then Elton (and imo Guns n' Roses!) we've been spoilt for world-class legendary Pyramid headliners recently.  But how many others truly fit in that category.  Madonna clearly does... but who else has that sort status really? (Apologies to Coldplay fans!)

4 hours ago, westholtschic said:

So this year is my least ever excited Glastonbury.
Thursday 
Steve Davies
Showhawk Duo
Kevin and Perry Rave
Phil Hartnoll

Friday 
Squeeze
Craig Charles
Paul Heaton
Frank Turner
Lulu
Haircut 100
Jungle
OMG it’s the church

Saturday 
47 Soul
Beatles Dub Club
Cyndi Lauper 
Keane
Micheal Kiwanuka
Coldplay
OMG it’s the Church
Fatboy Slim
Altern 8

Sunday
Seasick Steve
Palmona Faith
Shania Twain
London Grammar

Where is this?!

3 hours ago, Acid_Haze said:

people still blindly coming to the festival year-on-year even when they don't like the lineup is cult-like behaviour.

not really because there is so much more to this thing than the line-up

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, CR77 said:

Let's face it, if they'd got Madonna (as reliably rumoured) there'd probably be very few complaints about the line-up.  After Macca, then Elton (and imo Guns n' Roses!) we've been spoilt for world-class legendary Pyramid headliners recently.  But how many others truly fit in that category.  Madonna clearly does... but who else has that sort status really? (Apologies to Coldplay fans!)

Coldplay is more an issue with familiarity imo given that while they haven't done Glastonbury in a little while, it's still their 4th or 5th go as Pyramid headliner and 2016 isn't all that long ago. Similar with last year tbf given AM were on their 3rd go and in the middle of a UK stadium tour whereas GNR and Elton had a bit of novelty as Pyramid bill-topper.

16 minutes ago, CR77 said:

The top line is fine. Its broadly at the same quality level as 2019 and better than the likes of 2014 or 2015. It's the undercard that whiff.

5 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Coldplay is more an issue with familiarity imo given that while they haven't done Glastonbury in a little while, it's still their 4th or 5th go as Pyramid headliner and 2016 isn't all that long ago. Similar with last year tbf given AM were on their 3rd go and in the middle of a UK stadium tour whereas GNR and Elton had a bit of novelty as Pyramid bill-topper.

Yes, I agree... if in doubt, Coldplay are available!  Macca and Elton are in the Top 10 of biggest selling artists of all time - the only other ones left, who are still touring, are Madonna, Queen, Rihanna and Eminem.  I guess Macca and Elton back-to-back raised the bar somewhat!  Would like to think Brian May and Michael Eavis can resolve their issues and get Queen + Adam Lambert as a headliner one day.

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

The top line is fine. Its broadly at the same quality level as 2019 and better than the likes of 2014 or 2015. It's the undercard that whiff.

I agree... but I reckon people are underwhelmed as we've had exceptionally popular headliners the last two years.  You swap any of the three headliners for Madonna and it'd be on the same quality level as 22 and 23 I reckon. (I'm a bit out of touch though, so maybe not everyone sees Madonna as a big deal like I do?!  I'm not a fan, but would have absolutely been there and no doubt loved it!

50 minutes ago, Miathedog said:

Well, after a busy day at work only just getting to digest all this.

Totally gutted that my Sunday must-sees clash, James vs The Scratch. Really frustrated with that one!
Otherwise not too bad for clashes from a first check over. Definitely more than enough to do overall, and mostly dotted around all over the site with no pyramid headliners. 

The Scratch are also playing at midnight on the Sunday on Peace stage so you can see both! On my list too 👍

5 hours ago, TiZuff said:

dont do it this to me man.... overmono is prob the only name missing late night to make this one of the best late night offerings ever for me .

Spoilt for choice this year. The dance lineup is insane in my opinion. I’m shocked they weren’t on the initial lineup and they are everywhere this year. Surely it has to be them. I’d miss anyone for them 

1 minute ago, Ncahir94 said:

Spoilt for choice this year. The dance lineup is insane in my opinion. I’m shocked they weren’t on the initial lineup and they are everywhere this year. Surely it has to be them. I’d miss anyone for them 

agreed, the dance options into the later hours (im talking all the way till 4am every night) are insane this year. dont know how the hell im going to survive friday nevermind mind the next 2 days. 

I might just chill in woodsies all day sunday to energise for justice on sunday night. bands i like are on and its pretty relaxed.

8 minutes ago, km9 said:

Anyone else think this sounds a little bit entitled?

Not really. The low fee Glasto pay can be offset by the appearance, so if an artist isn’t getting that and isn’t bothered by that festival, why would they play for peanuts? 

4 minutes ago, km9 said:

Anyone else think this sounds a little bit entitled?

Hasn’t she had some mental health issues recently?

I imagine her work diary is being managed to ensure there aren’t any unnecessary stresses. Not making money being one of them.