Arctic Monkeys

FloorFiller

Would I be right in thinking the general consensus is that if you were in the front/middle actually there in person. It was good? And those towards the back weren’t arsed/not happy and a lot left and went elsewhere? Obviously based on the tv coverage, it didn’t seem like their finest hour.

it would make sense tbh. Saw them in Bristol last month and thoroughly enjoyed it, despite having some issues with the delivery of mainly 505.

when I look back I do wonder if the Bristol gig was televised or released on dvd, would it have come across similar to Glastonbury, because I actually didn’t see too much different in how they played on Friday and how they played in Bristol.

People have mixed views of their set in 2013 by the looks of it. I was there in probably the first third of the crowd depth and had the time of my life that night.

22 minutes ago, mikeyb123 said:

Would I be right in thinking the general consensus is that if you were in the front/middle actually there in person. It was good? And those towards the back weren’t arsed/not happy and a lot left and went elsewhere? Obviously based on the tv coverage, it didn’t seem like their finest hour.

it would make sense tbh. Saw them in Bristol last month and thoroughly enjoyed it, despite having some issues with the delivery of mainly 505.

when I look back I do wonder if the Bristol gig was televised or released on dvd, would it have come across similar to Glastonbury, because I actually didn’t see too much different in how they played on Friday and how they played in Bristol.

People have mixed views of their set in 2013 by the looks of it. I was there in probably the first third of the crowd depth and had the time of my life that night.

I agree with this. I think being around a good crowd with everybody singing along helps. I was in the front pit for the Emirates and absolutely loved it and it was one of the best times I've seen them. Whereas I watched the Glastonbury set on TV and thought it was pretty bad. I think you don't really care about Alex's slow delivery and quirks when you're amongst a crowd that love the tunes.

8 hours ago, Ryan1984 said:

I loved ‘The Monkeys are back on the farm… Wow’. Might add that kind of commentary to my everyday tasks.

hahaha i think there were maybe 2 drawled mentions of being "on the farm".  Not the kind of emotional gratitude the Glastonbury crowd seems to want.  ps do they not like the "Arctic" bit anymore, they seem to just mention "Monkeys" a lot in their chat and "production" (signage). 

1 hour ago, mikeyb123 said:

Yep. Mate was in the thick of it and said they had a great time all singing along to the point where they weren't really focused on the stage. We got there a few songs in and hung out by the side and the atmosphere was dead. 

Although I do think all artists should finish each song with a one-word review like Alex Turner. Effective! Remarkable!

2 hours ago, mikeyb123 said:

Yeah I think so. I was nearer to the front at the start and enjoyed myself but needed the loo near the end. Rejoined the crowd further back and the atmosphere was dead. 

I didn’t hate it, I didn’t love it. I’ve seen them better in the past. I can understand them wanting to play songs differently but the slowing down of songs, 505 in particular was frustrating. It sucks the life out of the song (and the crowd).

Suppose it comes down to the big question - ‘who do you perform for?’ 

For some time now, Alex has clearly been performing and arranging the live shows exactly how he wants to do them, with little to now regards for the rest of the band, or fans in the audience. 

You could argue that’s fine and it’s his right to do so, but surely ensuring the crowd are having a great time is more important isn’t it? He could still deliver an exceptional live show just by playing the songs the majority of fans want to hear, sang similar to how they do on record. He really doesn’t need to pull out all the stops. 

• Upvote 3

20 hours ago, devli said:

They were phenomenal tonight. What the Glasto set should have been.

Performance-wise, presumably? Because there was only one difference in the setlist: Ritz To The Rubble in for Wanna Be Yours (old-school crowd pleaser replacing tiktok hit, effectively like-for-like in stature).

Edited by snoelb

It just felt very phoned in, they never give the vibes of actually wanting to be on stage playing and it comes across that way. Alex Turner just isn't a good front man tbh. 

I had a very good spot and the atmosphere was alright as people were singing but it wasn't anything to write home about. 

Edited by Xeph1995

+1 for absolutely loving it. Was in Bristol last month also and loved that. Perhaps my 9th time seeing them live and i respect the fact for how they've grown and make the music they want to make. Can also understand peoples point of view on the older stuff being superior to the new but i love it all. I also think for what its worth Alex is one cool cat, hes never going to lap up the crowd like a Dave Grohl type figure and thats absolutely fine with me cause he delivers on the music. Body Paint was a moment of the weekend, absolutely epic live. 

I've just watched it back on TV, thought it came across great.

It was hard to gauge there. I f**ked it up royally watching all of Fred Again, and ended up behind the second speakers. Sound was great, but not where I wanted to be.

I enjoyed it. It didn't quite have the headline show feel that 2013 did, for me, but it was still very good; especially given the illness in the build up. Would have been nice to see a few fireworks etc. but I guess everything was geared towards Elton really.

Some songs have probably overstayed their welcome in the setlist now (Snap Out of It & Don't Sit Down spring to mind) but they have such a back catalogue - it's not an easy call.

The new stuff came across great; Sculptures in particular.

I think the 'casual' fan just wants a lot more old stuff, and see Alex as being up his own arse now. I'm an obsessive fan and know plenty others, most of which were extremely happy with the set.

I've been told now off a number of sources that they'll be going their separate ways after this tour or, at the very least, taking a very long hiatus. Interested to see if that is actually the case, I'm going to two U.S dates just in case.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, mouserat said:

Although I do think all artists should finish each song with a one-word review like Alex Turner. Effective! Remarkable!

Our group were crying with laughter when he was doing this. "Effective" was such a random word to choose, had us all howling.

I love AM and seeing them at Glastonbury was my fourth time. Admittedly I was a bit apprehensive when I saw clips of his newer style of singing in recent gigs, but actually seeing it at Glastonbury I didn't really mind. Still had a great time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mufcok said:

I've been told now off a number of sources that they'll be going their separate ways after this tour or, at the very least, taking a very long hiatus. Interested to see if that is actually the case, I'm going to two U.S dates just in case.

I think Alex Turner said in an interview last year that he wanted to start work on a new AM album sooner rather than later. Apparently they came straight off the road in 2019 and were starting work on some live gig friendly material, then lockdown happened and when they met up in 2021, the mood had changed to the more moodier stuff that ended up forming up The Car.

Maybe they could do that - try again with a "Let's right some new big songs for gigs" focus after initial attempts in 2019 didn't quite work - or maybe they'll take a few years off as they did after AM. Could easily do either, but I didn't get the vibe in their interviews around The Car's release last year that they were seeing this cycle as one last hurrah.

Equally, the future's hard to predict so who knows amirite

On 6/26/2023 at 4:42 PM, st dan said:

Suppose it comes down to the big question - ‘who do you perform for?’ 

For some time now, Alex has clearly been performing and arranging the live shows exactly how he wants to do them, with little to now regards for the rest of the band, or fans in the audience

I completely agree with this. Some acts clearly buzz off smashing out the hits to a grateful crowd. (Foos for instance). Some don’t so need to make it interesting for themselves, with tweaks, arrangement changes, setlist changes, etc. AM have almost always been in the second camp.

1 hour ago, charlierc said:

I think Alex Turner said in an interview last year that he wanted to start work on a new AM album sooner rather than later. Apparently they came straight off the road in 2019 and were starting work on some live gig friendly material, then lockdown happened and when they met up in 2021, the mood had changed to the more moodier stuff that ended up forming up The Car.

Maybe they could do that - try again with a "Let's right some new big songs for gigs" focus after initial attempts in 2019 didn't quite work - or maybe they'll take a few years off as they did after AM. Could easily do either, but I didn't get the vibe in their interviews around The Car's release last year that they were seeing this cycle as one last hurrah.

Equally, the future's hard to predict so who knows amirite

Yeah, who knows. I know he's always wanted to branch out and do various other bits (film scores were mentioned), Miles Kane will be kicking his door down and I dare say a solo album will be in the works at some point.

I really can't ever see them trying to make 'AM 2' like so many have been desperate for.

I really hope what I've been told isn't true. I've no way of verifying it either way, not yet anyway. 

They were bang average imo. Really wish I saw Hot Chip instead and I love AM (even some of their newer stuff). Think if they're playing another festival I'm at, I'll just avoid them as it only ever leads to disappointment when I watch them.

Going to see the show again in Luxembourg tonight - slightly different feel to Glastonbury as it’s on a temporary stage put up in the car park of the LuxExpo that’s comically out of proportion to its surroundings. If I were stood in the equivalent position to where I was at the Pyramid (near the ice cream van by the cider bus) I’d be outside the gates on a dual carriageway with a cinema between me and the stage.

Looking forward to seeing how the show translates to an audience 80+% smaller, and whether they go for some more rarities as a result 

On 6/26/2023 at 10:04 PM, Xeph1995 said:

It just felt very phoned in, they never give the vibes of actually wanting to be on stage playing and it comes across that way. Alex Turner just isn't a good front man tbh. 

I had a very good spot and the atmosphere was alright as people were singing but it wasn't anything to write home about. 

Same for me. I thought to set itself was disjointed, poor presence from Turner but actually enjoyed the songs themselves. Was stood out by the green fence to the right hand side of the field facing the stage and there were a flood of people leaving just before the encore which spoilt it a little but that was down to my positioning. My alternative that night was Kelis and having seen snippets of that show, i'm fine with my decision to see 'the Monkeys'.

I’d watched a few bits of their set but got round to watching (or at least attempting to) their full set last night, but I had to give up around two thirds of the way through as I just found it such a f**king slog. It’s kind of amazing how they even manage to suck all of the energy out of the more popular songs, or ruin every singalong due to Alex deciding to sing almost every song off beat. I really don’t know if the way he is is an on stage persona or if that’s genuinely how he talks/acts/sings now, but he really needs to sort it out - so insufferably grating.

36 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I’d watched a few bits of their set but got round to watching (or at least attempting to) their full set last night, but I had to give up around two thirds of the way through as I just found it such a f**king slog. It’s kind of amazing how they even manage to suck all of the energy out of the more popular songs, or ruin every singalong due to Alex deciding to sing almost every song off beat. I really don’t know if the way he is is an on stage persona or if that’s genuinely how he talks/acts/sings now, but he really needs to sort it out - so insufferably grating.

Its definitely a "stuck in the past" (me) vs "modern forward thinking" actual fans situation. I agree with everything you said, but I think we just need to accept they aren't that band anymore, at least for now. I'd honestly have rather they didn't bother playing Mardy Bum and Fluorescent Adolescent at all. Everyone around me started singing along at the start and then sort of stopped bothering. Murdering 505 completely killed the atmosphere for us, and "lets leave the past behind us" was a dig at us older fans which felt unnecessary to me. 

By the time the last two came on, it felt like a forced atmosphere. Especially that weird slowed down version of Dancefloor. Loads left near us (between the sound desks) and the atmosphere just dropped as the gig went on.

BUT - down the front it looked amazing, so I'm guessing the real fans went further forward and those of us stuck in 2007 stayed back and moaned. I did hear some around us saying he was some sort of genius/god so obviously I'm missing something. 

I say this as a HUGE HUGE fan from 2006/07, and I really like The Car too. the live show just didn't work for me. I'd love a gig where the old songs were played in the old way alongside the newer ones, but I was bored with the older songs being played the same as the newer ones, and his general demeanour just put me off the whole thing really. 

Its my own fault though - I knew I'd be disappointed as soon as they were announced and I wasn't looking forward to it really, until they nearly didn't play and then I got swept up in it. I had no alternatives so didn't miss anything, so nothing lost. Foos were my headliner that day in the end

Edited by efcfanwirral

We were at the set in 2013 and left because we were bored, both big AM fans. Since then I've been very off with them, but one of the lads at my husband's work went to the recent tour and was banging on about how great they were.

We ended up going along, being relatively close to the front and I was bored senseless. I've never felt SO disconnected from a crowd in my entire life. Everybody around me was singing and dancing and all I could think was Alex just sounded like a parody of himself. My husband enjoyed it, but I spent most of the set with my best mate texting me, watching at home going "WTF? WHAT HAVE THEY DONE TO 505?!" I just didn't "feel" it. 

I am probably one of those people seeking nostalgia and having seen them play at teeny weeny venues back in the 00s. I did however spend a lot of time watching new acts, and enjoying new music, I'm happy and expect bands to move on... but it just, dunno felt like below par lounge jazz I can't relate to. 

Like lots of others it seems, Im a huge huge fan of their first 2 or 3 albums, and their new sound and Alexs new style of singing just doesnt do it for me at all. So I opted for Hot Chip who Ive seen before, and I know smash it every single time, and they did just that. And now that Ive watched AM back on iplayer: no ragrets.

Alex Turners singing sounds like Jimmy from South Parks rendition of 12 Days of Christmas.

Do feel like they are in this transition period and he’s trying his hardest to shed some of the fan base they have accumulated - especially the AM/younger fans. He’s butchered 505 and I Wanna Be yours - 2 huge tik tok hits that got them a lot of new younger fans, little quips about leaving the past behind etc

I enjoyed the show but felt the crowd go flat half way through. But looking at the setlist the opening 7 songs were all normal speed and belters. Not sure what people wanted really - do a normal 505 and I wanna be yours and it’s s normal gig. 

Hope they drop the stadium shows going forward - and commit one way or the other to give the casual fans what they want (drop the off beat thing and slowing stuff down) or just look forward and play smaller shows with the newer material. 

I was pretty high for when they came on so I had a great time. 

16 minutes ago, Planyt said:

Hope they drop the stadium shows going forward - and commit one way or the other to give the casual fans what they want (drop the off beat thing and slowing stuff down) or just look forward and play smaller shows with the newer material. 

This is what frustrates most people I think - if you're going to have 70-90 quid off people for stadium shows, you're setting an expectation that you're going to put on a show, run through all the old hits that people want to hear just like when they've seen you before/listen on their headphones or whatever, and even if the new material isn't designed for stadium shows then people will show it some goodwill.

They've been able to get away with putting big stadium tours on sale before people have heard as much as a note of their new albums twice in a row now, before Tranquility Base... and The Car. They probably know they won't be able to pull the same trick  again on the casual fans who just want to belt out their old favourites, so maybe this was scooping up as much $$$ as possible this go round, and next time it'll be arenas?

That all said, people still had a good time (me included), and in my case I've shelled out another 70 notes to see it again today, so what do I know?