Fitness for Glastonbury 2023

gigpusher

1 minute ago, Alvoram said:

I haven't even charged my Apple watch all over Christmas... I think the gentle nudge in here was what I needed though, it's on charge now.

We can start some of those step challenges we spoke about next week... Let's start sensible, as @gigpusher says... 70k steps from Monday 16th to Sunday 22nd inclusive... Who's up for it? 

Have been walking the dogs this week, but nothing special, just the 2k circuit. Diet has improved slightly, but we still had pizza on Monday. I was aiming to get to the gym tonight, as Wednesday nights are absoloutely dead normally, so will have energy to burn. I'll let you all know how I get on. 

Thanks for the (very gentle) nudge you lovely people, I think it was just what I needed 🙂

I've braved the scales now... 8lbs gained over my original weight when I first posted 😞 Absoloutely gutting, but it was to be expected. That kind of lifestyle, even if it was only 2 weeks or so, is no good for anybody. But I've done it now, got back on the horse so to speak (the scales.) So let's reset and go from here. 🙂 (As a side note, to make this even worse, I actually feel lighter and better than this time last week, I dread to think what they would have said if I'd stood on them this weekend gone!!!) 

Don't worry about it too much. Christmas weight tends to drop off even without doing much. Today's a new day! I still just have my phone for tracking steps so never entirely accurate given I tend to leave it on the chair and wander around the house but that should be a good thing as it will if anything underestimate what I am doing. 

Have promised myself in the unlikely event that we do get a bonus I will get myself an Apple watch then. 

Just now, gigpusher said:

Don't worry about it too much. Christmas weight tends to drop off even without doing much. Today's a new day! I still just have my phone for tracking steps so never entirely accurate given I tend to leave it on the chair and wander around the house but that should be a good thing as it will if anything underestimate what I am doing. 

Have promised myself in the unlikely event that we do get a bonus I will get myself an Apple watch then. 

Thanks 🙂 The way I see it is like this... I could stay upset about it, or use it as motivation, choice is entirely mine. 🙂

If it's just for tracking activity a fitbit or similar may be a good option? 

Honestly, all I use my apple watch for is fitness and payments. Seems a little overkill now. I guess the main benefit is that it does have built in gps for more accurate distance tracking (rather than calculating the average distance from steps taken.) 

All the other nonsense I never use, messaging, calls etc etc, all better on the phone. 

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you don't want payments, and just fitness, perhaps look at other options? 

4 minutes ago, moogster said:

I put on almost 4 in 5 days at Xmas so don't feel bad...! 

Cheers. 🙂 New day new start 🙂

So are both of you up for the 70k challenge next week ( @gigpusher I know accuracy will be hard for you, you'll probably have to give yourself a reasonable 'not got phone' allowance each day, but I don't see why that should stop you 🙂 ) 

Just now, Alvoram said:

So are both of you up for the 70k challenge next week ( @gigpusher I know accuracy will be hard for you, you'll probably have to give yourself a reasonable 'not got phone' allowance each day, but I don't see why that should stop you 🙂 ) 

not sure if I was n.2 in your comment but, not to boast or anything but my fitbit goal is 11 K a day and I tend to manage . I can be the rabbit in front of the greyhounds if you want.  I am at 3000 now (office) and tonight's weather looks extremely bad to so that may be a tricky one though!

9 minutes ago, moogster said:

not sure if I was n.2 in your comment but, not to boast or anything but my fitbit goal is 11 K a day and I tend to manage . I can be the rabbit in front of the greyhounds if you want.  I am at 3000 now (office) and tonight's weather looks extremely bad to so that may be a tricky one though!

You should find it easy then, doesn't stop you taking part (IMO) just puts a target on your back for when we set future goals 😉 

(By that I mean it should motivate us to come up to your level quicker. 🙂 Or in your own words, you can be that rabbit.) 

Edited by Alvoram

31 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

Thanks 🙂 The way I see it is like this... I could stay upset about it, or use it as motivation, choice is entirely mine. 🙂

If it's just for tracking activity a fitbit or similar may be a good option? 

Honestly, all I use my apple watch for is fitness and payments. Seems a little overkill now. I guess the main benefit is that it does have built in gps for more accurate distance tracking (rather than calculating the average distance from steps taken.) 

All the other nonsense I never use, messaging, calls etc etc, all better on the phone. 

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you don't want payments, and just fitness, perhaps look at other options? 

Cheers. 🙂 New day new start 🙂

I had a fitbit before for many years and started having lots of issues with it. Luckily at the time they had a recall and I ended up getting a full refund. I've been toying with getting an Apple watch anyway so I think the phone will be sufficient for now. I don't need to know how badly I sleep for a while!! I don't need any allowances either. It's up to me to remember to carry my phone if I want it to count. 

27 minutes ago, moogster said:

My fitbit goal always used to be 11.5k a day. I set it above deliberately when there was talk of Fitbits not being entirely accurate so I wanted to make sure that I had my 10k steps in. I'm currently on 5975 steps for the day so I think the challenge should be on!! Be good to have a bit of accountability of having to show what I am doing if nothing else. 

38 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I

My fitbit goal always used to be 11.5k a day. I set it above deliberately when there was talk of Fitbits not being entirely accurate so I wanted to make sure that I had my 10k steps in. 

Haha same indeed!

Just had a small competition with  colleagues on how much we could roll around the office without getting up. Not good for thr step count.

1 minute ago, moogster said:

Haha same indeed!

Just had a small competition with  colleagues on how much we could roll around the office without getting up. Not good for thr step count.

😂 Sounds like fun though. (And probably harder work than walking if your office chairs are as bad as some!) 

i went to a new  (new to me) gym yesterday and was warned it was very busy cos of new year sign-ups. i had a lovely new trainer to help me out, and she was patient dealing with my limitations, and i did more than i've done for a while 1km on treadmill, 1km on bike, plus some leg stretching.

1 minute ago, Neil said:

i went to a new  (new to me) gym yesterday and was warned it was very busy cos of new year sign-ups. i had a lovely new trainer to help me out, and she was patient dealing with my limitations, and i did more than i've done for a while 1km on treadmill, 1km on bike, plus some leg stretching.

Sounds superb.  Even if it is busy as long as you can get access to the bits you're interested in without too much of a wait then it's all good.

Just now, p.pete said:

Sounds superb.  Even if it is busy as long as you can get access to the bits you're interested in without too much of a wait then it's all good.

i discovered yesterday that people  will give up the equipment for the guy in the wheelchair. so no waiting.

8 minutes ago, Neil said:

Doesn’t take long for it to drop down .. couple of weeks I reckon from memory 🙂 

9 minutes ago, Neil said:

That is bloody awesome!!!

Will we see you on foot at the farm in June, or is that way off? 

1 minute ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Doesn’t take long for it to drop down .. couple of weeks I reckon from memory 🙂 

i'll let you know, tho it might not change much as it's always a very busy gym, i go to that leisure centre every week so see its always busy.

2 minutes ago, Neil said:

i discovered yesterday that people  will give up the equipment for the guy in the wheelchair. so no waiting.

😄 Outstanding.  Not my territory but I think there's a macho front to gyms, that it's all about beefing up huge muscles, but I think there's a greater appreciation there for effort.  Showing up in a wheelchair must earn a fair bit of respect.

1 minute ago, Alvoram said:

That is bloody awesome!!!

Will we see you on foot at the farm in June, or is that way off? 

i'll be using wheels at the farm (if i go), it'll be a while before i'm up to doing glasto on my feet.

2 minutes ago, p.pete said:

😄 Outstanding.  Not my territory but I think there's a macho front to gyms, that it's all about beefing up huge muscles, but I think there's a greater appreciation there for effort.  Showing up in a wheelchair must earn a fair bit of respect.

i wasn't in the chair to earn respect, but because those wheels are my legs when away from home (i use my legs at home). 

from the gym i'd set myself the goal of walking to my local (400yds uphill) somewhen this month, gonna give it go on Saturday as @spg is taking me to the pub then, and it seems a good time to try.

4 minutes ago, p.pete said:

I think the macho muscle dudes may be more respectful than the ladies trying to watch 3 reruns of My Favourite Bride Dress or something like that while vaguely cycling...

2 minutes ago, Neil said:

i wasn't in the chair to earn respect, but because those wheels are my legs when away from home (i use my legs at home). 

from the gym i'd set myself the goal of walking to my local (400yds uphill) somewhen this month, gonna give it go on Saturday as @spg is taking me to the pub then, and it seems a good time to try.

That'd be futile obviously.  You'd be better off skipping the machines and rolling about in the chair for a bit hoovering up the kudos, without exerting yourself, if that's what you were there for!

Always good to have a downhill walk from your local 🙂 

1 minute ago, p.pete said:

That'd be futile obviously.  You'd be better off skipping the machines and rolling about in the chair for a bit hoovering up the kudos, without exerting yourself, if that's what you were there for!

Always good to have a downhill walk from your local 🙂 

Nobody is beating my walk to the local 😉 😂

7 minutes ago, moogster said:

I think the macho muscle dudes may be more respectful than the ladies trying to watch 3 reruns of My Favourite Bride Dress or something like that while vaguely cycling...

I don't think the macho muscle dudes are hogging the cardio machines.  Vaguely cycling is better than not turning up - as long as they keep going through all the add breaks 😛 

16 minutes ago, p.pete said:

I don't think the macho muscle dudes are hogging the cardio machines.  Vaguely cycling is better than not turning up - as long as they keep going through all the add breaks 😛 

I have to say where I live the crowds tend to mix up quite a bit, the muscle crowd knows a bit of cardio is good and the cardio folks have understood the value of muscle mass . Both can have a nice sit on a machine doing nothing while catching up with a gym buddy though. THAT is annoying.

I myself have not renewed my membership in January though so I should stop being so judgy and know it all 😛 . 

1 minute ago, moogster said:

I have to say where I live the crowds tend to mix up quite a bit, the muscle crowd knows a bit of cardio is good and the cardio folks have understood the value of muscle mass . Both can have a nice sit on a machine doing nothing while catching up with a gym buddy though. THAT is annoying.

I myself have not renewed my membership in January though so I should stop being so judgy and know it all 😛 . 

Unless it's been attached to accommodation I'm not sure I've seen the inside of a gym in the last decade - judge away as far as I'm concerned!  

13 minutes ago, moogster said:

I do both. I'm not interested in body building, but strenth training is important. Because I'm not trying to build muscle mass as a goal, and my main goal is fitness and weight loss, I do a lot of cardio also.

(I've heard proper muscle heads say too much cardio is bad for muscle gain, don't know if that's true or not? Either way, doesn't bother me, as both are good for general fitness.)