Fitness for Glastonbury 2023

gigpusher

6 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

So last week I started on the walking again. Lighter nights have me itching for to get out more.

Started stopping eating so much again.

Target is another 2 stone this year

Next major piece to the jigsaw is stop drinking alcohol so much. 

Last time I lost all of that weight, my friends were asking why I'd lose so much more when I excercised with them, and they were also dieting. I swore blind it was because I didn't drink and they'd be in my pub 2 or 3 nights a week drinking. 

For some comparison, 3 pints of lager is about the same as a Big Mac!!! Some nights they'd come in and put away 10 pints. (They can handle it.) I'd say, "would you go to maccies and eat 3 big macs and a portion of fries 3 nights a week?" 

(Vodka Diet Coke is the way to go when you're trying to lose weight, but want to drink socially. 😉 ) 

Edited by Alvoram

6 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

Last time I lost all of that weight, my friends were asking why I'd lose so much more when I excercised with them, and they were also dieting. I swore blind it was because I didn't drink and they'd be in my pub 2 or 3 nights a week drinking. 

For some comparison, 3 pints of lager is about the same as a Big Mac!!! Some nights they'd come in and put away 10 pints. (They can handle it.) I'd say, "would you go to maccies and eat 3 big macs and a portion of fries 3 nights a week?" 

(Vodka Diet Coke is the way to go when you're trying to lose weight, but want to drink socially. 😉 ) 

Yea, shocking calories in beer. I need to get rid of some associations.  Or just stop 😟

Saturday did most of the cooking for the week, all good low calorie stuff. No one in the house music blasting. I know what will great with this I think, then drank far too much.

On 1/19/2023 at 4:27 PM, philipsteak said:

Good week for me so far. Nearly at 70000 steps already. Does make it easier when it's as glorious as this week has been. 

Screenshot_2023-01-19-16-20-12-946_com.google.android_apps.fitness.thumb.jpg.472db4ceba546d91b98e496bbf42b50b.jpgPANO_20230119_135421.thumb.jpg.14733a448b55318908a0c1197f819fca.jpgIMG_20230119_121258.thumb.jpg.c3ded49687070fb0a94bf4ccca070d6f.jpgIMG_20230119_112129.thumb.jpg.e73698329ed5800f2feb29a07710da49.jpgIMG_20230119_105409.thumb.jpg.bf7cc05d8b6d9fd8bb4d1204bcb89c34.jpg

It’s not just the steps, it’s getting out into the countryside, appreciating nature and just clearing the mind of any negativity.  I can walk for miles and miles in the hills and never get tired. I would strongly recommend it to anyone who is stressed or under pressure. Even a short walk to start with. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

OK So didn't do very well (at least officially I didn't anyway.)

Monday 4715 (No watch, phone only, would have been way higher as I was running around like crazy for a funeral which turned out to be a much bigger affair than we'd been told to expect) 

Tuesday 7372 (Lazy day, knackered after Monday!) 

Wednesday 8102

Thursday 9357

Friday 14532

Saturday 8799

Sunday 10109 (No bloody watch, phone tracked steps, would have been way way higher on a Sunday if I'd had my watch on grrr)

Total: 62,986

But I'm not worried, happy to admit defeat, but also happy to move it up a tier, if everyone else is? Because had I remembered to charge and wear my watch each day it would have been a lot better, maybe even past the 70k with Sunday's mnissed steps alone. 

Well done everybody that made the 70k... Some of you absoloutely smashed it, so I definitely think a new target is in order... 

Target for this week 75K

Edited to add: P.s my watch is still flat, better put it on charge, already missing steps 😞 

Yes don't worry about it. I had a day when I had to charge my phone and I was annoyed I was even walking to the kettle without my phone and then I told myself to get over it and movement was movement whether I measured it or not and it would still count towards making me healthier. 

5 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

Yea, shocking calories in beer. I need to get rid of some associations.  Or just stop 😟

Saturday did most of the cooking for the week, all good low calorie stuff. No one in the house music blasting. I know what will great with this I think, then drank far too much.

For me the number one thing is getting the diet right. I don't drink but can easily fall into a trap of eating way too much of the wrong types of food and snacking whenever I feel tired (which is always because I am a terrible sleeper. Just doing the basics right makes all the difference.

5 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

Well, if you were cooking and dancing, surely you were burning it as you went 🙂 

@gigpusher On the Friday I was so far behind that I started walking back and forth from one end of the pub to the other, for a good while, to try and hit that 15k before midnight. 🙈😂

15 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

Well, if you were cooking and dancing, surely you were burning it as you went 🙂 

@gigpusher On the Friday I was so far behind that I started walking back and forth from one end of the pub to the other, for a good while, to try and hit that 15k before midnight. 🙈😂

That was me on Saturday. I would have been on about 6k steps if I hadn't been walking around the house before going to bed for ages. 

I do have a fitness band but don't particularly like it. My phone seems pretty good. I wore the tracker on the 23000 step day to compare and my phone was only about 500 steps under. Assuming the tracker is the more accurate I can live with that and would prefer it to be under rather than over. 

Half the time I have no clue where my phone is (I always laugh when people say they'll call me, good luck with that). I find that a watch is actually quite convenient then. Am I turning into an 80 year old? I guess so.

Just reviewed  my data: it looks like I am burning an average of 2500 cals per day.  Working the computer the whole day I am not sure how to up this except in the weekend. That leaves me facing the dreaded: hit the calories coming in... I once lost quite a bit by calorie counting but that's such a pain... And I like food 😢 

re:booze I have been quite a fan of craft beer, including the heavy stuff, double IPAs and imp stouts. I think my untapped profile explains quite a bit of the extra weight. Luckily I've been recently a bit "bored" with craft so took it not to restock. I do appreciate a good rum or whisky so from now on that will be my weekend treat...

40 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

I do have a fitness band but don't particularly like it. My phone seems pretty good. I wore the tracker on the 23000 step day to compare and my phone was only about 500 steps under. Assuming the tracker is the more accurate I can live with that and would prefer it to be under rather than over. 

Phone is fine, if you carry it. But I rarely carry it in my pocket when working, last thing you need is your phone to start vibrating when you're trying to take an order or carry lots of hot food plates. Working involves a lot of steps. (if I'm on the floor rather than the bar it's a crazy amount of steps.)

Anyway, back from a fairly short (3km) dog walk, and already over 4k steps for today now that I've charged my watch. Definitely going to end today in a better place than I was in at the end of last Monday. 🙈😂 

33 minutes ago, moogster said:

Half the time I have no clue where my phone is (I always laugh when people say they'll call me, good luck with that). I find that a watch is actually quite convenient then. Am I turning into an 80 year old? I guess so.

Just reviewed  my data: it looks like I am burning an average of 2500 cals per day.  Working the computer the whole day I am not sure how to up this except in the weekend. That leaves me facing the dreaded: hit the calories coming in... I once lost quite a bit by calorie counting but that's such a pain... And I like food 😢 

re:booze I have been quite a fan of craft beer, including the heavy stuff, double IPAs and imp stouts. I think my untapped profile explains quite a bit of the extra weight. Luckily I've been recently a bit "bored" with craft so took it not to restock. I do appreciate a good rum or whisky so from now on that will be my weekend treat...

I hate calorie counting as well. It's a pain. Luckily after years of doing it I do know rough calories of most things. I don't have a lot of free time at the moment so actually use Gousto boxes for most of my meals. They have done the calorie counting for me. I find porridge for breakfast a gousto meal for lunch and dinner and at most 1 tiny snack and I should be well within calories allowed. At weekends I usually opt for a 2 meal strategy if I want a slightly bigger meal. Get up, walk the dogs etc and then come back and have brunch. 

2 minutes ago, Kalopsia said:

Just back from a 17 mile run. Training for the Brighton Marathon. That was so hard and I don't think I will be able to add 9 more miles...starting to think I won't be able to complete it.

Of course you will, tough conditions at the moment so fair play doing 17 miles a few weeks after Christmas in freezing weather. 

35 minutes ago, Kalopsia said:

Just back from a 17 mile run. Training for the Brighton Marathon. That was so hard and I don't think I will be able to add 9 more miles...starting to think I won't be able to complete it.

You will. Adrenaline on the day will get you through the rest. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kalopsia said:

You'll be fine, 3 months yet, keep training, and you'll get further and further, then like gigpusher said, the occasion will carry you over the line. 

Well, past 10k already for today, and still have to work this evening 💪

Also inspired by others in this thread I took some photos, nothing beautiful I’m afraid, quite sad actually, especially for a coaster goon like me… Who remembers the American Adventure Theme Park? 

This is it now, overpriced new homes that will absolutely have issue with water / flooding and or subsidence down the line due to the mining history of the site.

A6183750-CC55-42D4-8393-8DA541A2FB3B.thumb.jpeg.6728524943f428abd10b2786f72b7b09.jpeg

984F1F13-9FDE-41C4-B632-04A860B06052.thumb.jpeg.91fe8bae1df91c464b0646c3b007e3a2.jpeg

22B017CF-4962-48F7-BE01-DFA1F1190AD1.thumb.jpeg.833d35b3b0a1438fe747189d46c0cf1f.jpeg